Quicken or Quick books pro?

For years I have always used the old school pen and paper with a calculator method and I am thinking it is time to get with the times.

For those that have used these programs which do you recommend for simplicity? I plan to use it with PayPal. I read over both and viewed the tutorials then read about 100 conflicting reviews so I am not sure which one to go with. Some have just way too many features so why pay for that if you can never use them? Any impute is appreciated.

Most small one person home businesses can be easily handled with a ledger book & maybe a few spreadsheets to track specific things.

I've used both QB & Quicken professionally since the days of DOS and I PROMISE you both are complicated programs which require more time in the computer chair than is necessary to get the job done. I use neither for my business.

Quicken is really more geared to the home user who wants to keep their checking account reconciled, monitor savings and loans.

QuickBooks, and there are multiple varieties from "quick start" to professional accountant versions, is more suited to a business environment. You can invoice, do collections, accounts payable/receivable, and it is typically the program that most accountants HOPE you will use if you want them to do your taxes.

You can go to intuit.com and download a 30-day trial of most of their product line, and then they offer you a discount on a purchase at the end of the trial.

I use Microsoft Money. I have the business and home edition, but I don't know a whole lot about the business part of it. I got it when I worked for a direct sales company and used it to keep track of my income from shows. Have not played around with it much now that I am doing my own business. So I don't know if it can do what you want it to, but it may be another option to look into.

What I use on it, I find very simple and easy.

I had never used either or wanted to but when I bought the business I have now the previous owner had everything set up in Quickbooks Pro. So, I bought it. I hate it!! Well... I guess hate is too strong.. but it isn't top of my list.

Yeah.. nice because all my customers are stored in it. But, I spend more time in my computer chair just trying to figure things out, entering orders, and all that crap.

I also signed up to accept credit cards thru Intuit and that was a huge pain!! I use Propay and always have and it is just easier. And Cheaper!

I like the old pen/paper system I used before. ;)

just my 2 cents ;)

I also have the Quickbooks Simple Start at home but use the Quickbooks Pro at work. It can be tedious to enter everything including your banking and there is a learning process you have to go thru to use it.

But if its set up right and you enter all your information the plus side is the great fast reports you can get whenever you need them. And your accountant can go right into your program and make corrections or you can print out an accountants copy and give it to them. It also makes tax time easier and you can track supplies and sales quickly.

Its been a while since I worked with Quicken or Peach Tree so I don't remember much about them.

BTW-- check with your local SBA for classes on Quickbooks. They are pretty cheap.

I use QuickBooks Simple Start. I'm neither mathematically talented nor terribly organized, so I find it helps a lot.

Ditto.. Very easy to use and makes tax time a breeze.

I make a disk and give it to my accountant..

You can download a free trial of quick books to play around with it.

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting-software/free-accounting-software.jsp

Edited by islandgirl