M&P Recipes

Candybee

Not sure but they don't look like M&P to me. I guess you could use a planer, grater, or sandpaper to get a 'rough' texture. Never tried it. The letters were stamped in. You can buy various soap stamps at many supppliers of M&P products or have one custom made.

Perhaps you could also try a piece of cheese cloth or burlap. Best way would be to line the mold with the cloth then when you demold carefully pull it off the finished soap. Don't know that that would work but its worth a try. The other way could be to lay the cloth on the finished soap surface and press hard with a book to 'imprint' the texture onto the soap.

Edited by Candybee

Not sure but they don't look like M&P to me. I guess you could use a planer, grater, or sandpaper to get a 'rough' texture. Never tried it. The letters were stamped in. You can buy various soap stamps at many supppliers of M&P products or have one custom made.

Perhaps you could also try a piece of cheese cloth or burlap. Best way would be to line the mold with the cloth then when you demold carefully pull it off the finished soap. Don't know that that would work but its worth a try. The other way could be to lay the cloth on the finished soap surface and press hard with a book to 'imprint' the texture onto the soap.[/quote

Thank you, that is a great idea

Kyme

My Basic MP Soap Recipe

I will cut this down for the purpose of this thread because I tend to make BIG batches!

(I use all of these ingredients in every bar of my soap)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2lb white soap base (I use EBC, but you can use what you have)

1/2 cup fresh goat milk (you can use canned or powdered if you want)

4T liquid soap (unscented, undyed)

2T honey

2T shea butter

1T cocoa butter

1T olive oil

1 T jojoba oil

Fragrance oil (add as much or as little as you would for 2lb soap recipe)

I use a presto pot .. melt the base first and then add the other ingredients mixing well.

Produces skin loving bubbly bars of soap with super creamy lather!

Enjoy :cheesy2:

Here's another Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey soap recipe. I make these in 2 lb batches for my 'Handmade' tray soap mold. You can get the tray molds at Peaks.

Anyway, its got more stuff in it than the other one on the first page. And this is the one I take to market and craft shows:

Oatmeal, Milk, & Honey II

Ingredients:

28 oz white base

1 tbs canned goats milk

1 tbs oatmeal

2 tbs honey

1 tsp castor oil

1 tsp glycerin

1 tsp olive oil

1 tsp shea butter

2 tbs FO (I use Patchouli Honey from Elements/Flickers)

Melt your base and add the shea butter, olive oil, glycerin, castor oil, and goats milk. Mix til blended then add your honey and blend well. Then sprinkle the oatmeal on the base and blend in thoroughly. I do it this way to avoid lumps. Pour into mold and let cool completely before demolding. About 2 hours. Makes eight 4 oz bars of soap.

Tip/Notes: This makes a super moisturizing, creamy, & lots of lather soap bar. The oatmeal is soothing to the skin and adds texture and exfoliation. Its also loaded with vitamins and nutients from the goats milk and olive oil.

You can sub an OMH fragrance or any honey fragrance you like. I like the earthy notes in the Patch Honey and my customers always ask for the 'patchouli soap' I make.

Several suppliers I have posted earlier carry the tray molds. I have both the 'handmade' and the 'goats milk' trays. You can use either for this recipe. They make the finished bar of soap look very professional and appealing.

Don't have a soap mold? Use a small bread pan as your mold. For larger bread pans double the recipe.

Hey PA,

If you are using powdered, would you not have to mix with some sort of liquid to make 1/2 cup? And what would you use for liquid? Do you think adding extra glycerin or castor would make a better lather?

would 1/2 cup be too much of castor and/or glycerin?

I want to tweak my bars to have a better lather...

Hey PA,

If you are using powdered, would you not have to mix with some sort of liquid to make 1/2 cup? And what would you use for liquid? Do you think adding extra glycerin or castor would make a better lather?

would 1/2 cup be too much of castor and/or glycerin?

I want to tweak my bars to have a better lather...

Yes, if you use powdered you have to add some kind of liquid.. I've always used distilled water.

And I don't use the full amount that the can suggests either. I make it double strength at least! Glycerin works nicely for added lather, but the liquid soap is the BEST thing I've ever tried! You might need about 1/2 cup of glycerin to make it as bubbly as the liquid soap. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to try it and see what happens!

PrairiAnnie

Every time I try jojoba oil in my soap it makes it waxy with no lather at all. Do the other ingredients that you add counteract the waxy feel of the jojoba?

I believe that the other ingredients that I use do counteract lather issues. I find jojoba oil to be a very silky additive for my soap! In truth, jojoba IS actually a liquefied wax (wax ester) rather than an actual oil. I've read that it's similar to sebum (human skin oils) in several places, but I'm not sure how true it is. I just know that I can tell a difference between bars of soap with it and bars without it.

I wouldn't overdo this particular oil though.. stick with smaller amounts vs. some other ingredients that you can add quite heavily (like goat's milk~ my absolutely favorite soap ingredient!).

My Basic MP Soap Recipe

I will cut this down for the purpose of this thread because I tend to make BIG batches!

2T honey

2T shea butter

1T cocoa butter

1T olive oil

1 T jojoba oil

I use a presto pot .. melt the base first and then add the other ingredients mixing well.

Thank you so much for sharing! I made up a batch last night. My daughter used it in the shower tonight and said it was the best soap I have ever made. Her skin is as soft as a baby's:)

That being said I had a couple questions -24 hours after making - it is still a little soft and bendable - is that normal for this recipe or will it harden as it sits? The "T"'s were tablespoons, yes? And if it is normal for it to be a little bit soft what would you suggest I add to harden it up?

Thanks again!

Chele

T = tablespoon (tbs)

t = teaspoon (tsp)

You can add palm stearic, olive oil, coconut oil, or beeswax to harden your soap.

When I use a soft base I add a combo of additives to harden my soap. I add per lb of base:

CO - 1 tsp

OO - 1 tsp

palm stearic - 1 tsp

You can omit the OO as its already in PA's recipe. This should help harden your soap significantly. Also, some bases need a day or two to for the finished soap to harden up.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks Candy - thats what I assumed on the t's and T's - but figured that was the easiest place to start. I am making another round today and going to see if I can harden it .

Have a great day!

Chele

I'm glad you liked the recipe.. It really does make a super skin loving bar of soap. I've found that the base you use can make some difference in the final bar and how hard it is, but my bars are definitely harder after letting them sit for a couple of days. All of the things that candybee mentioned are great for hardening a bar of soap. I hope you'll report back on the next batch and let us know how it turned out for you!

I've also found that when I make a loaf of soap vs. individual molds that it takes a bit longer to get the harder bar. The individual molds harden up pretty quickly it seems. The soap loaves take forever to set up for me.. in fact, I usually have to let them sit overnight before they are even ready to slice. I've always figured that was just because of how much goat milk is in them.

Prairie -

I decided to give them 24 hours more before I started playing with the recipe and they are MUCH harder today. I think I am going to give it a few more days because I am thinking now they will be fine. My base from EBC was a little soft so I think it just needed to air out. Your recipe makes an insanely good bar of soap!!!

I did make a second round following the recipe exactly except I substituted Coconut Milk for the Goats Milk - fabulous!! Thank you again for sharing!!

Have a great day!

Chele

Prairie -

I decided to give them 24 hours more before I started playing with the recipe and they are MUCH harder today. I think I am going to give it a few more days because I am thinking now they will be fine. My base from EBC was a little soft so I think it just needed to air out. Your recipe makes an insanely good bar of soap!!!

I did make a second round following the recipe exactly except I substituted Coconut Milk for the Goats Milk - fabulous!! Thank you again for sharing!!

Have a great day!

Chele

:yay::yay::yay:

Hooray! I'm glad you like it. I'm happy to share it~ and I hope that if anyone adds anything to it they will share here too and let us know how that turns out!

The shea and cocoa butters don't need to be melted before adding to your base. You can add them into the melted base or put them in before you melt your base. Whichever you prefer.

You can still make the soap without them. Or sub another butter or oil.

The shea and cocoa butters don't need to be melted before adding to your base. You can add them into the melted base or put them in before you melt your base. Whichever you prefer.

You can still make the soap without them. Or sub another butter or oil.

I have officially lost my mind. I read the highlighted statement and the first thing that came to my mind was Challenge Butter!! :P

I just add the butters to my pot full of ingredients and melt everything together most of the time. I've never melted the butters first though.

The butters that I use are added for their moisturizing properties, and they also help balance out the hard/soft oil ratio to make sure the bars of soap aren't too soft or don't set up well especially since I usually add more goat's milk than most recipes call for. I think you could make the soap with no added butters if you don't have any.. might take a little longer for the soap to set up into a nice hard bar though. MP soap is very forgiving, and for that reason experimenting is so easy.. just keep working with it until you find a recipe that works well for you!

My Basic MP Soap Recipe

2T honey

2T shea butter

1T cocoa butter

1T olive oil

1 T jojoba oil

This sounds just wonderful, and I can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm placing my order at EBC tonight and will pick it up tomorrow but have to wait for my soap molds from Peak to come in before I can play.

Am I being too ambitious in wanting to make my first batch of M&P using this recipe (other than just melting the base and adding FO)? I hope not! Also, this is probably a silly question, but do I need to worry about the goat's milk going bad once it's in my soap? Do I need to add preservatives, or are the preservatives in the EBC base, assuming there are some, enough to protect the soap from mold, fungus, bacteria, etc.?

Thanks again!:)