M&P Recipes

Candybee

Glad you like the Cranberry Orange Spice. Its still one of my best sellers in the fall.

Here's a new one I market tested this Christmas season and customers scooped these up:

Burberry Rum Spice

1 lb white base (I used goat milk)

5 gms each; CO, OO, Cocoa butter, Castor Oil

2 tsp SGS/Tony's Burberry; 1 tsp SGS/Tony's Bay Rum (you can get these at Sassy Girl)

1-2 drops burgundy or plum soap dye (you want a nice soft plum color)

1-2 shakes ground cinnamon and or ground clove (for texture and just for pretty!)

Blend all ingredients thoroughly then pour into soap mold and let harden.

Customers went straight for the Burberry soap. I used cigar labels on my soap and googled a pic of the Burburry plaid to go on the label as background. I "tweaked" the color of the plaid in my label program to make it a nice plum and tan plaid. I used Tony's Bay Rum because it has a definite rum note and made the Burberry scent pop. But my fav Bay Rum used to be Flickers. I think you can get some very good Bay Rum now at Moonworks as she is the one who made Flickers Bay Rum.

Edited by Candybee

Hmmmm.... I'll let that perculate in my brain and see if I can come up with anything.

I don't have anything in particular I sell for Valentines. But some dreamy soaps I have made that might be appropriate are scented with Honeysuckle + Rose; Black Raspberry Vanilla, Cocoa Therapy (Fillmore).

Didn't sell alot of chocolate soap but the Cocoa Therapy is sooooooo delicious smelling in M&P. People think they will want to eat it and use that as an excuse not to buy-- I counter them with "it won't make you hungry when you wash with it-- it will just be luxurious and decadent to wash with it."

I would think CS Vanilla Silk/Lace ? would be nice in soap but you may need a vanilla stabilizer. I haven't tried it but I bet its TDF!

Oh Oh! I just thought of one I made that was very nice. I used Flickers (Elements) Tuscan Lace and blended it with CS Baby Powder. Or-- blend baby powder with lavender-- very sexy!

Edited by Candybee

Oh Oh! I just thought of one I made that was very nice. I used Flickers (Elements) Tuscan Lace and blended it with CS Baby Powder. Or-- blend baby powder with lavender-- very sexy!

That sounds like a really nice Valentine one. Actually, an anytime one. They all sound wonderful. There goes the budget again :)

Yep, as if we aren't killing our budgets enough with candles supplies.... now it's M&P also :laugh2:.

I usually buy the MP bases from Bramble Berry, but would like to combine the GM with the yogurt base offered by Nature's Garden, which isn't available at BB..... hmmm, do I feel another order is in order? :P

Candybee, please let us know when the perculating is done, ok? Love your recipes!

Edited by Ravens

Yep, as if we aren't killing our budgets enough with candles supplies.... now it's M&P also :laugh2:.

No kidding.....I"m trying about 5 of the recipes posted when I finally do slick submit on some of these shopping carts sitting around.

Keep us informed if you try the yogurt base from NG. Sounds interesting. May cruise over there to see if it is SLS free.

Here's the link, Jeanie; it is SLS free. A good excuse to give it a try, as far as I'm concerned, right? :laugh2:

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/nat-yogurt/melt-and-pour-soap-NATURAL-YOGURT-Melt-and-Pour-Soap.html

No kidding.....I"m trying about 5 of the recipes posted when I finally do slick submit on some of these shopping carts sitting around.

Keep us informed if you try the yogurt base from NG. Sounds interesting. May cruise over there to see if it is SLS free.

You all are probably going to get a laugh out of this but I have never tried SFIC bases until this past week. I finally order a couple pounds from Peaks to play with. I only tried the white so far. I am really liking these bases and the fact that they are sulfate free. I always assumed they would not lather very well and be way too soft. But I was wrong. So far I like the lather and the bases harden up much better than many others out there I have tried.

I will have to try out more of my recipes on these and see if they hold out with all the additives I like to use. Thats where many bases fail on me. Many I can only add about 1/2 the amount of oils and butters I prefer to add to my soap.

Anyway, I am still testing out the SFIC white base but so far so good. It is definitely a very good quality base and I am impressed.

Anyway, I am still testing out the SFIC white base but so far so good. It is definitely a very good quality base and I am impressed.

Candybee...Peak is on my list to test the base. The only one I tried so far is Soap Goods in their white base and shaving in SFIC. At first, they didn't produce hardly any lather or suds. As they cured, they began producing more. It has now been about 2-3 weeks and they are lathering like crazy. No bubbles...just nice creamy lather.

The only problem I had putting the ingredients in is that initially I had the heat too low causing seepage in the bars. Remelted it all down at a little higher heat and they worked perfect.

I think I'll only use SFIC....for family use due to the SLS free and also attracting possibly more buyers with it.

If you find you can add more stuff to the SFIC that would be wonderful. I'm not pushing it yet to try on my own. Just following recipes on this thread :)

Well, I thought that "Enabler" label was a given, Jeanie!:laugh2: I have NG under my Favorites.... wonder why? Perhaps because I'm checking it out every few days and writing down "must haves"? Hopeless, I tell you, just hopeless.

So.... was I able to enable you to bust your budget? LOL

Thanks for the link Ravens....Have you considered changing your name to "TheEnabler"? :laugh2:

So.... was I able to enable you to bust your budget? LOL

Oh sure....Added another shopping cart of stuff at one more site. Trying to hold back checking out but don't think that will last much longer.

The rum recipe has really got me wanting to make them for the men in the family for Christmas. Oh, also the new scent Candybee posted for the women too. Oh, and the Orange Spice.......

Where do you buy vegetable glycerin? I bought castor oil, which Candybee recommended, at the grocery store. Saw that Brambleberry carries coconut oil at a good price, but they don't have vegetable glycerin.

I just made my second batch of soap. I've been searching and reading lots of posts to get all your tips and advice on M&P soap making. Ground up my dried chamomile in the blender, per someone's tip. Made some lavender chamomile soap, and added 2 tsp of castor oil to 2 lb of Peak's Goat's Milk base. Now I want to try adding the vegetable glycerin and coconut oil, and I don't know what all else. So many additives to choose from!

One more question....do you use the olive oil from the grocery store as an additive to m&p bases?

Thanks in advance. I love this forum for all the helpful advice and to see your creations you've made.

Here is the link to SoapersChoice, if you're interested in purchasing large quantities; they also sell vegetable glycerine:

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

I buy most oils at the grocery store (olive, canola, etc.)

HTH :)

Edited by Ravens
added glycerine

My Basic MP Soap Recipe

I will cut this down for the purpose of this thread because I tend to make BIG batches!

(I use all of these ingredients in every bar of my soap)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2lb white soap base (I use EBC, but you can use what you have)

1/2 cup fresh goat milk (you can use canned or powdered if you want)

4T liquid soap (unscented, undyed)

2T honey

2T shea butter

1T cocoa butter

1T olive oil

1 T jojoba oil

Fragrance oil (add as much or as little as you would for 2lb soap recipe)

I use a presto pot .. melt the base first and then add the other ingredients mixing well.

Produces skin loving bubbly bars of soap with super creamy lather!

Enjoy :cheesy2:

Thank you. Very, very nice of you to share.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

Here is the link to SoapersChoice, if you're interested in purchasing large quantities; they also sell vegetable glycerine:

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

I buy most oils at the grocery store (olive, canola, etc.)

HTH :)

Ravens....you must feel the quality of those type oils at the grocery store are equal to those from soap suppliers? If so, I'm going to do that instead of paying shipping for oils that are inexpensive but become expensive when shipping is added. Initially thought I'd better go with soap supplier ones to get best quality.

On your OO...Do you get EVOO like we do for home use?

Ok, perhaps there is no need, but if I add OO to my PM base, I make it the EVOO. If I pour CP soap, I use regular OO. I feel the strong action of the lye would take all that virginity away:laugh2:

And because soaping isn't my number one concern, I feel the oils you can buy locally are just as good as what you buy online and, like you said, no shipping charges - oils, butters are heavy; why add that weight to the already heavy MP bases? However, if your main business is making soap, then perhaps it may be to your advantage to order in large quantities from a supplier like Columbus Foods. HTH :smiley2:

Ravens....you must feel the quality of those type oils at the grocery store are equal to those from soap suppliers? If so, I'm going to do that instead of paying shipping for oils that are inexpensive but become expensive when shipping is added. Initially thought I'd better go with soap supplier ones to get best quality.

On your OO...Do you get EVOO like we do for home use?

Edited by Ravens
typo

Ok, perhaps there is no need, but if I add OO to my PM base, I make it the EVOO. If I pour CP soap, I use regular OO. I feel the strong action of the lye would take all that virginity away:laugh2:

And because soaping isn't my number one concern, I feel the oils you can buy locally are just as good as what you buy online and, like you said, no shipping charges - oils, butters are heavy; why add that weight to the already heavy MP bases? However, if your main business is making soap, then perhaps it may be to your advantage to order in large quantities from a supplier like Columbus Foods. HTH :smiley2:

OK Thanks...I'm so new to soaping and only doing M&P, I didn't know if the quality was the same or not. I'll try grocery store ones first. Actually, I have EVOO here so won't have to even buy that. Would have to get the others. Was also wondering about the CO that is 76 degree Luanna's or whatever the name is from Walmart. Have some here I was putting in my parasoy awhile back to see if it helped b/c I did use a little in each batch when I was doing soy and it seemed to help a bit w/throw.

I am going to try Prairieannie's M&P recipe. Does anyone have an opinion with the Soaper Choice/Columbus Foods melt and pour glycerin white base? I see EBC mentioned a lot. Between shipping and price, I can save a lot if I go with Soapers Choice but if it is yucky, I'l pay the extra for EBC. I'm thinking the recipe is what makes this soap special and wonderful more so than the base but what do I know? I'm a noob at soap.

I remember reading somewhere that Soapers Choice/Columbus MP bases aren't that good. I tried EBC bases, Peak's bases and NG bases. I will stick with the Bramble Berry bases; cheaper than Peak's, NG and EBC - and excellent. I believe they are the SF bases.... same ingredients.

I am going to try Prairieannie's M&P recipe. Does anyone have an opinion with the Soaper Choice/Columbus Foods melt and pour glycerin white base? I see EBC mentioned a lot. Between shipping and price, I can save a lot if I go with Soapers Choice but if it is yucky, I'l pay the extra for EBC. I'm thinking the recipe is what makes this soap special and wonderful more so than the base but what do I know? I'm a noob at soap.

She means the SFIC bases. Brambleberry carries them.

About Soapers Choice bases at Columbus Foods. I've only read bad reviews about them. I was gonna try them at one point because of the price but others posted about their experience with them and it wasn't good.

EBC, Peaks, C&S, The Chemistry Store, Elements, WSP, and Brambleberry carry good bases but they are all different.

Brambleberry - SFIC and their own brand

Peaks & Elements - SFIC

The Chemistry Store - Stephensons

WSP - Crafters Choice (not to be confused with Soapers Choice)

EBC - they make their own

C&S - don't know what brand they use but its manufactured in Canada and is ultra sudsy!

Edited by Candybee

Ok, I've read and read this thread because Im about to dive into making some MP. But the one thing I haven't seen, is........... temps.

Melt temps, adding at temps, pour temps... ???

I do think I'll use the presto pot idea like PA does. I have a couple of extra ones I haven't opened or used yet so there wont be any cross contamination from wax.

Sorry for all the dumb questions I have. I do have some books coming this week and I have been reading the MP threads. Just was curious as to if there were certain temps specific to these receipes on this thread.

I remember reading somewhere that Soapers Choice/Columbus MP bases aren't that good. I tried EBC bases, Peak's bases and NG bases. I will stick with the Bramble Berry bases; cheaper than Peak's, NG and EBC - and excellent. I believe they are the SF bases.... same ingredients.

Ravens or Anyone, I went to order at Bramble Berry and then saw they have three different M&P white bases. One is $39/25 lbs, Bulk White Melt and Pour Base, the second is Premium Bulk Base, $49.25/25 lbs and the third is LCP White Melt and Pour at $110/50 lbs which is clearly the most expensive. Do you know which is the SFIC one you recommend?

I think there is some confusion going on at BB. Last time I looked they were selling BB brand and SFIC and "other". If you go to their site now you will find the BB brand, which is the SLS free M&P and a statement saying they are no longer carrying the Stephenson bases. I no longer see any indication that they are currently selling SFIC bases.

So if you want the BB bases you have to go to the page for those. The other bases listed under bulk and bulk shipping contain SLS so I think they are not SFIC. Maybe these are the Stephenson bases. But I used the Stephenson bases from the The Chemistry Store and the ingredients listed look different.

So if you want SLS free bases from BB buy the ones that are listed as their own. They are of course the priciest.

Although the bulk shipping prices the have are the best I have seen in today's M&P market. The other would be purchasing SFIC in bulk directly from SFIC... ifyou can afford to buy the required five drums of 43 lb blocks. But at least SFIC lets you mix and max drums.