just wondering about how often people test burn

My sil used to pour candles and has started back up again. Shes been calling me telling me how its going for her but I'm a bit confused listening to her.

She hasnt poured for about 2 years, decided to start pouring again last week, poured over 150 candles last weekend in about 10 scents and started selling again, the very next day. No testing even though her wax, fo's and wicks are old. As a person that worries over each candle I pour and even after testing each scent still worry myself crazy that the candles wont burn right even though testing has went well, even though at this point Im not selling, I dont get it. I wish I had that much faith in myself but at the same time I cant help but wonder how she can be sure they will burn right. Is this a common practice with people who have been making candles awhile?

Edited by dixiegal

Whenever I get a new scent I test. On stuff I've been doing for a while every once in a while I just pull a random candle out of inventory and burn it.

Since I'm constantly burning candles around my house I always have a feel for what is being poured. Just in the last two days I've poured 2 cases of new and old scents just for me to use around the house and test.

Did she make the candles from leftover materials she already had? This can make a difference if the materials are still good and she has already previously tested them. Many waxes and FOs can last for years so it shouldn't be a problem. However, one must not assume they are still good so I think it would have been a good idea to at least test a sample candle for quality assurance purposes.

Personally I wouldn't do it cause it just seems creepy. The only leftover wax I have is used for testing out new candlemaking techniques for myself.

I guess I'm just amazed that one can have so much confidence in their ability. I don't think I'll ever get to that point, even after testing and testing I still feel mine are not good enough. It doesn't matter how many other people love them I'm too afraid to even think about selling them even in the far off future. I wish I could get past that, I don't feel that way about my bath products just candles. I have a fear that something will be wrong with them so I just give them away.

I test each new scent. I test each new container type. Sometimes I do periodic testing for other purposes, such as dye type, wick type, etc.

While I personally would not just pick up after two years and pour so many candles without testing, the proof is in the quality of her products. If hers are good quality, she got away with it. If they are not, she got the results she earned. ;)

One from each batch... after each test of a new fragrance, during market season, I generally pour 37 at a time (3 cases of 12 jars and a spare) and burn that extra one just to be sure, even though I just tested, that everything is working out.

Most of my oils I'm pretty confident with and have been working with the same wick, jar, and wax for a long time but I like to be sure.