Fairs/Farmers Markets

cbv1

I am so disappointed. I just found out a Farmers Market I applied to participate in turned me down because they already have a soap maker who has been there before. So, they only allow 1 vendor with the same product? I make more than soap. How am I ever going to get a chance if only one vendor gets accepted and they get first dibs every year if they have been there before? :confused:

I didn't think of that, I will call them back and see.

Well, the other vendor must make a few other things I make so they still rejected me. I guess I will just have to keep looking around for other fairs. I know I have been at other fairs with other soap makers and they only sold soap. I sold other things along with soap so I am not sure why they only allow one here... oh well.

From what I have seen the Farmers Markets seem to be the most picky venue. I have looked into the ones around me and they say they will limit the amount of sellers of a specific item to one each saturday, ie only one soaper each week. And they limit the times you can come and display also. If you are a "crafter" (a non farm) you can only come 3 X's a season. If they already have 3 soapers then there is no room for others.

Are ther craft fairs coming up? they seem to be more flexible.

Well, I put in applications to 2 other Farmers Markets so we will see how this turns out. The thing I like about these is they are scheduled each week throughout the summer. Craft Fairs are usually 1 weekend so you spend a lot of time traveling and if you don't have a place to stay, you have to get a hotel room so that cuts into profits. I have 2 craft fairs that are in the mountains but I have a place to stay there. I will have to do my research on other craft fairs around.

If a Farmers Market is large who cares if you have multiple soapmakers? Do they limit the number of people who sell vegetables? Not everyones tomatoes are the same.... gosh I am just so annoyed.

I am losing my full time job on 3/24 and was hoping to make a living doing what I love most, making soap. And I am trying to think positive. I am looking into wholesale clients too so time will tell. I guess I am just freaking out a little more now that my layoff date is so close!

There is a flurry of spring craft shows some of them very big. Then a few in summer but not that many as that is generally market time

Most of the big and small craft shows are in the fall starting in Aug/Sep and lasting thru mid-December or longer.

Again check your chamber of commerce for a schedule. Then you can get more craft show info from vendors at shows. Thats where I get my best info is from the other vendors.

Once you start doing shows you will most likely get invites to other shows. I get these from handing out my biz card with my website and email so customers, buyers, and show promotors can get in touch with me.

There is a flurry of spring craft shows some of them very big. Then a few in summer but not that many as that is generally market time

Most of the big and small craft shows are in the fall starting in Aug/Sep and lasting thru mid-December or longer.

Again check your chamber of commerce for a schedule. Then you can get more craft show info from vendors at shows. Thats where I get my best info is from the other vendors.

Once you start doing shows you will most likely get invites to other shows. I get these from handing out my biz card with my website and email so customers, buyers, and show promotors can get in touch with me.

Thank you for the tips! I have a lot of work to do!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am the only candle seller at our local Farmer's Market and I would be really ticked off it they let other candle sellers there. I have been doing this market for over 7 years. It is hard enough to make money being the only candle maker, if they let 2 or more it would really cut down on my sales. I was in another market on Saturday and dropped that one when they added another candle person. It really cut into my sales and profit. Sorry if it seems selfish, but I think if you are a loyal vendor you should get preferential treatment.

Cindy

I guess my thoughts on it is that if you are confident in yourself and your product, and you have a loyal fanbase, a little competition wont hurt. You may lose a few sales, but you lose alot more by not participating at all.

Really that market is missing out by not letting more than one soap maker in, especially if you have a wide range of products. There are three of us at my market, but we are all very different in the products we offer.. there really is room for everyone. Competition is a part of doing business :) Dont get me wrong, I like being the only craft person of my type at a show, but thats asking for alot.

I would approach them to see what their official stand is on the issue and to see if it's in writing.

Our farmers markets here have to have a certain percentage of "primary and secondary producers", you fall into the secondary category. From there, it further breaks down into divisions (cards, artwork, fabrics, bath and body, candles etc.). The big market that I like to do, is allowed to have three B&B makers. All of them are different, but the only time I can get in there is if one of them cancels. I've been going for 2 years, and still cannot get a permanent spot, nor likely will I any time soon.

The reason why I think you should pursue it, is that this person may be a friend of the soaper currently there. I'd also go to the market, see what she has, and if what you carry IS very different, bring that to the persons attention.