My new addiction

HeavenScentU

I like to use Bath and Body because their liquid soap lathers well for these bath poufs. They weigh a bit more wet, but I like them over a loufa or a wash cloth and you can toss them in the wash weekly. Considering the cost of bath poufs at the store now these are very economical and eco-friendly.

Some yarns that I use are the Sugar n Cream collection 100% cotton and

Red Heart eco-cotton blend (not shown) I have made about 30 so far. I make them when I am just sitting watching tv, riding my exercise bike or on break at work. I just get tired of making pot holders and wash cloths and these are just fun and quick to make.

I am not good at reading patterns for crocheting. It took me about 3 weeks to figure it out by looking at the finished bath poufs online. Then I read the pattern and trial and error I was able to make them. I don't know if I am making them correctly or not, but they look like they're supposed to. I know that is weird but I have a photographic memory.

I have been testing them for a few months and don't have a problem. Since they have a string to hang they dry out quickly. I gave them away for Christmas gifts and everyone loves them. They still look good even after going through the washing machine weekly. I make kitchen wash rags and wash them weekly as well with no problems. The bath poufs made with tulle can't be washed or they fall apart in the washing machine and should be thrown away at least monthly if not bi-weekly, which can be worse because by the end of the month the bath pouf would be yucky, especially those that have been using them for months. I have spoken to customers that mentioned they didn't know they had to replace them and have been using the tulle bath poufs for almost a year. Talk about yuck!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I really like those and have been looking for something "environmentally friendly" aka "reusable and washable". I'm not a fan of washcloths either. Too bad I don't know how to knit, crochet or anything like that. Wonder if my mom and/or aunt would be open to making them for me.

I did find this website online. Is this what you do? http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTbonbon.html. I would be afraid it would come apart in the wash being tied like that.

there is a supposed "antibacterial yarn" you would have to do some research to find it, i believe it comes from japan and is used to make tawashi's (dish scrubbers).

ive made bath poufs with both cotton and acrylic yarn and they just dont work, they are pretty and eye catching but honestly they dont produce bubbles (with a bar soap and with body wash) the cotton gets heavy, the acrylic scratches

im not saying its a bad thing, but for me personally they dont do the job

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since crochet is a passion, I love seeing these bath puffs! The worsted kitchen cottons (Sugar and Cream, Peaches & Creme, and Lion Kitchen Cotton), can be thick and heavy when wet, and take a while to dry. I would definitely want to wash these at least weekly, with a vinegar rinse, to keep them fresh. The nylon tulle would be much too scratchy for "private parts", and I don't think the acrylic would be that great to wash bodies with. But, I do have the best luck with a cheap acrylic on dishes, it dries quicker, and is a little more abrasive on dried food. The Red Heart Eco-Cotton might be the best of both worlds, since it does have some recycled polyester, it may dry quicker than 100% cotton. I will have to try it and see! I do have a few Japanese Magic Scrubber crochet books, but have not, as of yet, tried the antibacterial yarn. There are 2 types, one with silver threads, and one totally acrylic. I know the Red Heart Super Saver makes great Swiffer Covers, and really attracts the dust and dog hair!

I googled crocheted bath poufs years ago and found some patterns. I crochet them when I am at shows and it is slow. I cannot just sit or stand or rearrange soap all day without something to occupy my mind. Plus people are always stopping to ask what I am making. I use cotton yarn and I sell them for $5.00 each and can't keep them. I am totally out right now since my last few shows have been too busy to crochet. Which is good. I use one at home and it has been through the washing machine many many times and still looks good. And I doubt seriously if it is a breeding ground for bacteria.

People seem to love them because they are 100% cotton.