It just doesn't make sense...

I had a tiny bit of extra wax left over from candles I poured so I poured it in a mold for a tart. I waited a week, lit the candle and warmed the tart. The tart smells but the candle doesn't. It seems like it that way with everything I made, the tarts are good and smell great, the candles are not.

Granted, Im using different wax for each but on the one batch I made that one tart and it smells great. It's frustrating.

I followed recipes that say they worked for others but they didn't work for me. My wicks are good, correct container size, I don't think it's the FO... It has to be my personal error. Not only that, its terrible making a candle and having to wait for it to cure forever. I get so anxious waiting and its disappointing waiting that long and the candle does not smell.

My CT has been great so far.

One more thing-

Can a blow dryer be substituted for a heat gun? If yes, can someone explain how I do it, please?

Thanks,

Lonnie *dead horse*

I've been pouring candles since 2001. Early on I became good friends with someone who lives less than an hour from me. I had my favorite paraffin blend wax and she had her favorite paraffin wax. I decided to give her wax a try...straight paraffin with additives. I did everything exactly like she did...my candles were okay but nothing like hers. Because...one of the times that we "met up" we traded a few candles. She thought my candles in the paraffin blend were great...and I thought her candles in the straight paraffin were great. But...neither one of us could "produce" the same results using the other's wax.

Later...she tried the same exact soyblend that I was using...I loved it...she hated it.

I am still using a soyblend...she is back to using her straight paraffin with additives.

And...you can try using a hair dryer to smooth tops etc. I used one for a couple of weeks and then tried my embossing gun. IMO...neither one works as well as a heat gun. My blow dryer had 2 speeds...low and high. Low did not have enough fan power and high had way too much. My heat gun has 3 speeds and medium does the trick for the "little hole and the wax climbing up the wick" that I get with my soyblend..CBL130 from Candlewic.

The tart smells but the candle doesn't. It seems like it that way with everything I made, the tarts are good and smell great, the candles are not.

Granted, Im using different wax for each but on the one batch I made that one tart and it smells great. It's frustrating.

Since the tarts are okay, lets talk about the candles. To give you any kind of assistance, we need some solid facts:

What wax,

additives/amts,

wick/size,

what kind of FO/amt,

what shape/inside diameter container,

dyes used/amt?

melt temp?

added FO at what temp?

Poured at what temp?

You cannot compare HT of two different waxes made for two different applications - that's like comparing Klondike bars and popsicles!!! One wax is being melted; the other wax is being burned and they are not even the same wax!!! :rolleyes2

I followed recipes that say they worked for others but they didn't work for me. My wicks are good, correct container size

This means nothing. What one chandler says works for them may very well NOT work for you! There is no such thing as wicks that are "good, correct container size."

its terrible making a candle and having to wait for it to cure forever

That's just part of it... You are learning and it isn't uncommon for people new to a skill to have problems...

Give us some data, and we'll try to help.

What wax, enchanted lites blend

additives/amts, already has additives

wick/size, wholesale supplies plus soy 3 wicks

what kind of FO/amt, creme brulee- 1oz

what shape/inside diameter container, 8oz jelly jar

dyes used/amt? 1/2 soy chip

melt temp? 175

added FO at what temp? 150

Poured at 118

The c-3 test book is upstairs and my daughter is sleeping so I'll get back to you on that.

Stella, you posted the temp you melt, pour, and add FO at and I copied your recipe down... I did not use USA though like you do. I did everything the same except I used rose oil and a dye chip...

The c-3 test book... you posted the temp you melt, pour, and add FO at and I copied your recipe down
Lonnie, I don't understand what copying down my procedures has anything to do with the candle you poured... :confused:

Wax - we use different wax

Wick - we use different wicks

FO - usually a great throw but can present wicking challenges

ALL temps - I melt to a much higher temp, I add FO at a different temp and I pour at a different temp.

What does rose oil have to do with this? Is this a FO (you said you used creme brulee) or did you add some quantity of "rose oil" (???) for some reason?

I see several possibilities for the lack of throw (photos and more information about how you tested would be helpful)... but the one that jumps out at me is the FO & wicking. I am completely unfamiliar with your wicks but creme brulee from the suppliers I have tested is a heavy FO that can present wicking challenges sometimes, although it is generally a great throwing FO. Without knowing how the candle is burning generally, I do not know whether you should wick up one size or wick down one size... you could try both...

I'd also suggest until you have more success and gain more knowledge & confidence about your candlemaking to use a wick with which more folks are familiar. Personally, I like Stabilo wicks - CD & CDN - for soy wax. JBN & Lone Star both offer sample packs of wicks that have several of each size wicks (of a specific type) for you to sample. CD 8-10

usually works for me in that jar with my wax and the system I use... dunno how it would work for yours, but that might be a place for you to start testing. I'd also suggest you use the Google site search tool and look for specific information from other users of Enchanted Lights soy wax.

And what is the "rose oil" and how much did you use? HTH :)

Sorry Stella! I have alot on my mind unrelated to candles. I split the batch in half, thats where the rose oil came in. I did not mix. You guys say test, so I was testing. I had no idea about creme brulee being a heavy fragrance and needing to be added at a higher temp. I melted two pounds at one time, when melted, I poured into (2) 1b pots, did everything the same on both except for different FO's and one I dyed and one I didn't.