wax types

Im looking through the Candlewic website and I see lots of different waxes.

like:

126 Melt Point Wax - 3032

132 Melt Point Wax - 3134

140 Melt Point Wax - 4144

What is the differance in the way they burn.. Also some of them state that additives should be added for optimum perfomance...What kind of additives? Also they have blends but dont mention what what is in the blend.. I just want to make pillars for now and containers that don't tunnel...

Someone mentioned in your other post that you can't use container wax for pillars and vice versa. They were right. Container blends are specially formulated for burning in containers - meaning they contain additives that allow them to adhere better to the jar's walls, etc. If you want to make a container candle that burns properly, you need to use a wax that is specially formulated for containers.

On the other hand, if you want to make pillars, you need to use a wax that is specially formulated for making stand-alone candles. This wax is formulated to be much harder than container wax so it is able to slide out of a mold and be able to burn without something holding it.

Using 2 different types of wax will also require different wicks. You most likely won't be able to use the same wicks in your containers as you do in your pillars. And if your containers are tunneling, your wicks aren't big enough. But you want your pillars to tunnel - a pillar that gets a full melt pool across the diameter will end up being a huge mess (and a huge fire hazard) as it burns down.

Candlewic has several pre-blended waxes for both containers and pillars. It might be easier just to buy pre-blended than to buy a wax that requires you to add things. Pre-blended pretty much equals foolproof, as long as you follow the instructions the supplier provides. Later on down the road, once you get the hang of it, you can buy basic wax and add stuff to it to have more control over your candles. But when you're just starting out, pre-blended waxes are my recommendation.

I just want to make pillars for now and containers that don't tunnel...

Choose a pillar blend for pillars, a container blend for containers and choose a wick type & size that is not too small for the size/type candle you are wicking. One size does not fit all both in terms of wax selection and wick selection.

Also, understand that if one lights a candle and extinguishes it after 15 or 20 minutes several times, this poor burning habit will cause the candle to tunnel no matter what one does. Burning the candle for about 1 hour per inch of candle diameter will generally give the best results when wicked correctly. :)

Also, understand that if one lights a candle and extinguishes it after 15 or 20 minutes several times, this poor burning habit will cause the candle to tunnel no matter what one does. Burning the candle for about 1 hour per inch of candle diameter will generally give the best results when wicked correctly. :)

Good point - I had forgotten that not everyone knows that right off the bat!