Leaking Candles

I made 11 candles Tuesday. each a different scent. 415 was with a small amount of CB advanced. Today 6 of them are leaking at the top. I believe it is FO. I haven't had this problem before with these scents. Is it that the two waxes aren't compatible? I am at a loss. I can't think of anything else different except the glass is a clear beanpot and the candles I did before were frosted beanpot (but how could that do anything?).

Trudi

One of them leaked yesterday and I wiped it off; but it is leaking more today. The other 5 that are leaking showed up today. Actually I believe I poured cooler to try and stop sink holes this time. I normally always pour hot; but in these jars get horrendous sink holes (aka...worse than horrible!) :D.

Even though it is a PITA, I will repour them today. My huge concern is this happening to them after they are sold. Gotta figure out what the heck is going on. Will update after I repour hotter. May just have to mess with heat gun. Better that than crappy product.

Trudi

I have been having this problem since last fall. Sometimes they leak alot and others it's just a drop or two. Anyway I have tried everything and it seems, so far. A smidgen of Palm Steric is stopping it. I use more or less than 1/4 tesp in 4 lbs. If you have some try that. Haven't had to change wicks. Hope it helps you. I hadn't done anything different either. Also my sister is using everything the same as me and she never had any problems. So it must be the temperature in my house or humidity or maybe it's too dry. Can't fix that but the steric fixed the wax so far. Plus I have been able to pour at 160*. That's the good part. I also cool fast. HTH

I have lots of Stearic Acid that I can't get rid of...I'll try that. Not sure why it never occurred to me to use that...maybe because I am trying to ignore the big 5 gallon pail in my way? Does stearic help with smooth tops? Maybe I can sub that and just get rid of the CB Adv I add a little of. Off to experiment.

Trudi

Is it that the two waxes aren't compatible?

You have a very reasonable question here regarding whether mixing the two waxes could be contributing to the problem. Maybe not--but if it does, that would a good thing to know. Odds are good that nobody has been in exactly your shoes and tested it. Why don't you pour a candle with 415 alone and find out?

Trudi, I had this happen a lot but usually in the humidity of the summer..

it could be many variables, the mixing of wax, mixing long enough, did the scent change perhaps..

really could be anything, especially with a natural wax.. I ran into this a lot and quite frustrated..

There always seem to be changes in product, either wax, scent wicks you name it.. it was hard to figure out because you thought you did everything like you always did..

I am glad I do not have these headaches anymore.. I really do feel for you and good luck ..'

Diane

I'll check on CandleWic and see what it says. Here it is, have had it for awhile don't know why I never used it before now.

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c11,p515&title=Palm-TP-Stearic---A-25

There always seem to be changes in product, either wax, scent wicks you name it.. it was hard to figure out because you thought you did everything like you always did..

You said it I'm getting real tired of it all myself....

Edited by Sharon in KY

Sharon, that was my observation when working candles for 10 years.. I mean frustating as it is , I kept going, but did find a lof of fluctuations , and made sure I did testing on a ongoing basics..

the leaking is a problem.. it is hard to sell a product this way..hopefully Trudi you get this figured out..

Diane

I use stearic acid (PSA) for a few reasons.... it hardens the soy wax (I use GW444, which is 98% soy and 2% soy additive), allowing for a longer burn time, and it also helps to smooth out the tops a bit more than without it.

I don't add anything else to my candles at this point, although I want to try out some CO. :)

Well, poured 2 candles Thursday afternoon. 1 straight 415 and 1 415 with a little stearic. LOL...Both set up beautifully! Smooth tops and everything...no leakage so far. Will give it a couple more days before relaxing.

The other problem ones I wiped off the leakage yesterday and they have not leaked anymore. Is it possible it was just sweat? The weather here did suddenly change this past week...for the better as far as comfortable; but not for candles maybe.

The more I think about it though I think it was because I tried pouring cool and probably since I was working like a mad woman I didn't stir up fragrance as well as I should have and then with the weather change.

Thanks for everyone's help. It's nice to have others who understand when you are in panic mode...lol!

Trudi