Labels software Mac or Linux

cybersix

I know this could be a repeated thread, but I can't find what I need.

I print my own labels, they are an italian brand, and I'd need a software to make them.

The problem is I killed (on purpose) my Windows Vista.. I had Avery, and in the Windows version there's the possibilty to create custom templates, so I just entered size and margin and everything and it was fine.

Now I have one MacBook, but the Mac version of avery design it's a completely different program, and there's no way to create a custom template.

I also have another PC where I have Ubuntu Linux, so if there's a software for this OS I could use it.

I tried with open office to build a custom template but with no luck.

GRRRRRR on Avery, why they don't make the two software identical????

TIA!

For ubuntu there is glabels have you tried that yet? So far that is the only one I have found, then open office. Which sucks for labels lol

I just saw glabels site, it seems nice, even if for custom templates I have to write XML code LOL!!

I will try that. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, hubby put Ubuntu on my laptop, while I was working one day, saying I would just LOVE the speed and blah blah blah. and the windows now wont load, and all my past work is gone. Alot of stuff was backed up but my labels werent for some reason. I could have effing killed him.

So now I cant make any of my labels on that PC, since windows wont load.. and its the only computer that works with our current printer. So I've been wondering too! I'll have to check out Glabels.

gLabels seems fine, as long as you can create your own templates, but I will have to check.

Templates are created with a programming language which is not complicated and on the manual there are some examples.

Ubuntu is sure better than Win, but it requires a more "do it yourself" style LOL

I will keep you posted if you need.

For LB and others who may be interested, a short update on gLabes for Ubuntu.

The software is good, it has all the avery templates already, many other labels brand, and creating a custom template it's easy, there's a wizard that guides the user in every step.

The differences I noted up to this time with avery design are (but don't take my word for gold I may have missed something):

-there's no "master" label so every common element to all your labels must be repeated on each label;

-round text can't be used (writing on circle or on arch shape)

So far so good, it lets you print a test sheet with a grid so you can check if labels are designed and positioned in the right way.

HTH

I'm in the same boat, hubby put Ubuntu on my laptop, while I was working one day, saying I would just LOVE the speed and blah blah blah. and the windows now wont load, and all my past work is gone. Alot of stuff was backed up but my labels werent for some reason. I could have effing killed him.

So now I cant make any of my labels on that PC, since windows wont load.. and its the only computer that works with our current printer. So I've been wondering too! I'll have to check out Glabels.

Your labels might be still on the hard drive it's just that the format might not work with ubuntu. Have you tried opening them in open office? I never had luck with label programs on windows either. I don't know why they can't figure out a perfect program for them.

I wish I could find a nice clean invoice/inventory program for unbuntu also. I might have to find something that will work in wine. You could do that LB too, what program were you using for your labels in windows? You might be able to run it in wine on ubuntu.

Edited by soycrazy

Soycrazy, on windows I was using avery design and it was fine for labels, even for customizing templates.

Now this glabels for ubuntu is nice and easy to use, of course you have to start again from scratch because it can't import existing labels. To me it's fine bcause I'm changing all my labels so no problem.

I will look if I can find an inventory program, I need it too, and the world of Linux is full of interesting programs and they are always free.

I will let you know.