Making Candle for Dummies

Buy a case of wax (any wax will do), wicks , jars and fragrance oils...mix it all together no need to measure anything or test your final product...making candles is very easy anyone can do it...start selling on eBay and just think about all the money you are going to make with your new candle business...don't think about the look on your customers' face when their candles explodes and their houses catch on fire...never mind the lawsuits and the fact that you have no liability insurance...you'll deal with that later after you've become a candle millionaire.

Seriously I couldn't help myself after reading a few of the new posts this morning.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Edited by annie123

Buy a case of wax (any wax will do), wicks , jars and fragrance oils...mix it all together no need to measure anything or test your final product...making candles is very easy anyone can do it...start selling on eBay and just think about all the money you are going to make with your new candle business...don't think about the look on your customers' face when their candles explodes and their houses catch on fire...never mind the lawsuits and the fact that you have no liability insurance...you'll deal with that later after you've become a candle millionaire.

Seriously I couldn't help myself after reading a few of the new posts this morning.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

It's very tempting to see dollars floating in the air when you get compliments from visitors to your home. :cheesy2: I'm only just now contemplating the idea of taking my hobby to a craft mall, and cannot begin to say how valuable the information here is! (Bad grammar form, so don't let my English teacher see this!)

I've got my ducks lining up in a row. Got a wax I can afford (LOL), scents I like, formulations that work well and have good appearance and scent throw, people who want to buy products---getting insurance quotes today and filling out forms for business licenses, etc.

There really is a lot more to the idea of having a "little side business with candles" than just making those candles! :)

Edited by scifichik
I can't type to save my life today!

I can see why people think that too. When I decided to start making candles, all the websites that I went to said that it is one of the easiest business to get into with the smallest start up costs. Well, I'm over the start up costs that they quoted by 6 times and I still do not have a marketable candle. :laugh2:

I am glad you got a laugh out of my "bad grammar"...I am not a native English speaker, I could always post in French but I doubt that many of you would be able to read my posts...so I guess I will have to stick to my poor English and bad grammar.

As for the rest of your post...I have been in business for 10 years now and I have seen a lot of new candle makers come and go...so let's see how long you last...

As for the rest of your post...I have been in business for 10 years now and I have seen a lot of new candle makers come and go...so let's see how long you last...

I plan on staying even if it takes me 10 years to get my first marketable candle. I am having too much fun to give up on it. People like you (being in business for so long) gives me hope that i will suceed someday.

I am glad you got a laugh out of my "bad grammar"...I am not a native English speaker, I could always post in French but I doubt that many of you would be able to read my posts...so I guess I will have to stick to my poor English and bad grammar.

Wow, I have no idea why you are being unkind toward me or are feeling sensitive with regard to my post!

I have no issue with your grammar, and apologize if it appears that I made sport of it; it was my own poor syntax with the verb at the end of sentence that I was pointing out, because sometimes that's the first thing an established list community will attack in a post from a newcomer. English is also not my native language, so I try to be cautious with its use.

Congratulations on your success and being in business for a decade! You are the very informed type of person from whom much good information could be harvested. Tell us about yourself and your business. To what would you attribute your longevity in an industry for which many attempt and fail? How much liability insurance do you recommend for someone in the United States, and from what source is it best obtained? What product lines do you create and from what type of wax?

Did someone declare open season on noobs this week? :shocked2:

Now, "Annie," despite your "wax drip" status, I'm sure you've been around here posting for quite a while... ;)

New folks don't know anything about the candlemaking business - that's WHY they are here. Sure, they think it's as easy as melting wax, addin' FO, stickin' in a wick and start rakin' in the easy money! Be honest! I'll bet if you think WAAAAAY back to when YOU first started thinking about making candles, YOU thought that at some point, too, as did most of us who've been doing this for a while. YOU learned better, I learned better and so will they, IF more experienced folks have the patience to help them along. Enthusiasm is a WONDERFUL attribute, especially when tempered with experience, knowledge and patience.

Sarcasm and abuse doesn't make for a very pleasant learning experience and that attitude is NOT representative of most of the kind craftspeople here at CraftServer.

So, to all of you new folks,

WELCOME to CraftServer.

:D

We take candlemaking seriously!! Many people here make their living and pay their mortgages from this industry! Each time someone sells bad candles at a local craft show or on eBay, it hurts the reputations of all of us, professionals and part-timers alike. That's why sometimes people have averse reactions to newcomers who do not realize that the LAST thing they should be doing is trying to sell before their products are up to commercial standards and their pipe dreams have changed to business plans. Forgive us when we fuss sometimes - there are no short cuts in the school of hard knocks, but if you're willing to do your homework and work hard, there are lots of people at CT willing to help you learn.

I hope you'll ignore unpleasant posts & focus on the ones from which you can learn. There is so much to learn by searching the threads here (read the Helpful Hints for New Members stickies at the top of the General Candlemaking forum to learn how to use the site search tool and the Google site search)! If you can't find answers, then ask away.:)

Edited by Stella1952

My original post was meant to be a JOKE! It wasn't directed at anyone...there is nothing wrong with being a new candle maker...it took me years of hard work to make a great product and after ten years I still test, test, test...

I made candles for 2 years before I started selling them and I got insured before I ever sold my first candle...so yes I find it amusing when I read posts about people making a couple of candles and starting to sell before they know what they are doing...and wondering if they should get liability insurance (again not directed at anyone)...just my humble opinion...

If you love what you are doing and make a great product you will be successful but for those of you who think that this is a way to make easy money think again.

Stella, I'm with you, DITTO word for word. Thanks for being who you are. I myself read this thread today and couldn't believe the meaness. Maybe annie needs to get another view on why we are all here, before she post again:p:laugh2::laugh2:scifichik, If you have a question you are always welcome to pm me or for that matter any of the new people here can, I don't know as much as Stella and the rest of the seasoned candle makers here, but I know how to be kind.:yay:

Linda

I may or may not last. I see that it takes hard work and I'm sure tons of testing. No, I had no idea of the work it took to make a great candle. I also being a single parent to a three year old, do not have time to do it every day. I will learn from mistakes and maybe one day I will be able to say that I have made a perfect candle. I would also love to buy products from members but not from someone who was rude or hostile to me. If I do not last and I decide that candle making is nor for me, it will at least be one more thing in my life that I've tried.

TGFS: Thank God for Stella.

hey. new folks.

There are no stupid questions. We all started somewhere. We all have dreams of what our business will someday become. Some of us are there, some of us are just starting. Once upon a time, you were a new chandler too, "Annie". You say you've been doing it for 10 years... thats awesome. That means you have lots of advice to give, if willing. If not... cool, but why make people feel bad about themselves?

I've only been making candles for three years, and I still consider myself a beginner. But that doesnt mean I cant give advice on what I DO know, and help out as much as possible.

Yeah, some people give it a shot and quickly realize that its not as easy peazy as they thought. Yeah, some people make inferior candles, and sell them anyways. Yeah, some noobs get way over their head, and then expect everyone here to solve all their problems for them, and thats sometimes annoying. But for every one of those people, there are TEN who are genuinely trying to do things right, learn right, be good at their craft. I'd rather they ask a million questions and get it right than be confused and give up something they are passionate about, or put out an inferior product because they dont know any better.

Edited by LuminousBoutique
meh.

Most everyone here is genuinely helpful and awesome! I say "most" because I, too, have been on the receiving end of barbed, superior, sarcastic comments, but only a couple of times, and the offenders become easy to recognize and avoid. ;) (Stella came to my rescue too.....I heartily agree, TGFS! Have you thought about a career in international relations, Stella?)

I learned quickly to search thoroughly before asking a question that's been asked many times before, but I know I still chime in with some very green, newbie questions, and will no doubt continue to do so. I've been testing diligently, trying to figure out packaging, how & where I want to sell, etc. etc. etc. for only a year, and am only just now getting to the point where I feel totally comfortable giving friends & family my candles to test, much less sell them.

It's not an instant gratification business, that's for sure, and the learning curve is a lot curvier than one would think when just starting out! That being said, I've learned SO MUCH from the folks here--this community is invaluable. :smiley2:

Hi Everyone, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.. especially for the newbies..

I made candles for nearly 10 years, but no longer as now I am a distributor.. here is what I learned..

When I first got started like many there is a researching period where everyone should not miss.. you really need to find out it this business you really want to get into.. ask yourself these questions..

do you have time?

do you have space?

do you have start up money?

do you have patience, cause at times you will need it?

do you want this as a business or a hobby?

and so on

You are going to have to continuing test your candles from day 1 and ongoing.. I found many times changes to products as sometimes my candles did the burn the same.. frustrating to say the least..

It is a fun business , there is no doubt but make sure you consider all factors into this business.. Insurance is a biggie , and you need to have this , liability coverage you never know what people will do out there and you want to safeguard you and your family.

My observation on selling on ebay, don't do it unless you need to clearance out your candles.. I mean people go to ebay to look for bargains.. you do not want to cheapen up the quality of your candles by putting them on ebay.. and the price that some are selling on ebay , I often wander how in the world they are making any money, unless they just wanted to clear out some inventory.. so not recommended..

Make sure and most of newbies won't know this, working with soy is a ongoing trial and error.. and I am not saying this to scare you.. it is a unpredictable wax .. you need to know.. to continuing pulling out a candle and testing your large batches you pour to make sure they burn great..

Make sure you figure in all your cost .. many don't and they find they are running short of making an income..

Just figure on buying in bulk and try to find your products as close as possible to keep your shipping cost down, this can really add to you costs.. I know I have been there.. :)

so all good luck.. I could go on and on.. what will stop for now

Diane Mumm

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of those newbies and will most likely have some of those stupid questions too - so forgive me in advance :). I have been researching for about a year now, and I'm just now getting my nerve up to try to make candles - whew.

So, I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has posted on here in one way or the other, because I have learned so much about this craft from you very generous people.

I am one of those newbies and will most likely have some of those stupid questions too - so forgive me in advance :). I have been researching for about a year now, and I'm just now getting my nerve up to try to make candles - whew.

You can learn a lot more by plunging in and making some candles. Don't let the idea of it keep you from trying. You will feel like you have accomplished something when you do. Everyone has their first candle and although its not your best its one of those things you feel real good about doing. Try a candlemaking kit from a supplier like Peaks. It takes out a lot of guesswork and is fun!

WOW -- did everyone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or just forget to put on their 'big girl panties' before they jumped in here!?! I didn't get the impression Annie was taking shots at any one person, or even being any more 'I feel a need to vent' sarcastic than plenty of other posts that have said the same thing. There's no doubt a large amount of people that pass thru here w/ their get rich quick notions & even a few that stick around who give the craft a bad name, so I'm just guessing Annie got a full dose of people who rubbed her the wrong way. No harm, no foul. Everyone can go back to singing Kumbaya & be sure to stick around for the group hug!

Susan.

I just want to say thank you to all the experienced candle makers who are so helpful to me already. Only been here for about a week and have already asked a few stupid newbie questions -- but the great thing is, I have actually received responses from experts willing to help me out! The thing that shocks me is that there are obvious experts here who make their living making beautiful candles, and yet they are patient enough to help out someone like me who isn't really planning to open a business selling candles, just wanting to make a great one for myself because it seems so fun and interesting. I was just telling my husband this morning how great this forum is because real experts are so helpful even to people just starting out as a hobby. He was shocked, too. Neither of us have ever seen such a willingness to help out the newbie in any online forum before. I have already learned so much reading posts.

Thanks again!

I just want to say thank you to all the experienced candle makers who are so helpful to me already. Only been here for about a week and have already asked a few stupid newbie questions -- but the great thing is, I have actually received responses from experts willing to help me out! The thing that shocks me is that there are obvious experts here who make their living making beautiful candles, and yet they are patient enough to help out someone like me who isn't really planning to open a business selling candles, just wanting to make a great one for myself because it seems so fun and interesting. I was just telling my husband this morning how great this forum is because real experts are so helpful even to people just starting out as a hobby. He was shocked, too. Neither of us have ever seen such a willingness to help out the newbie in any online forum before. I have already learned so much reading posts.

Thanks again!

Amen, word-for-word, what candlemama said. I've been a member of (and even admin'ed a few) forums like this, and the sharing of info here is phenomenal. My supportive husband is just as grateful to hear of the help I am getting here.