Let me clarify...

arw1019

I got a response to a post asking why I wanted to set up a website and why was I asking about labels when I have not even perfected a candle. I AM NOT looking to do any of that and I guess I should have made that clear. I AM looking to do my research on it so if, and/or when the time comes, I am not totally in the dark. Its not too early to do research. I feel that getting as much knowledge as I can will benefit me in a long run. And this site is a perfect way to get knowledge and of course, opinions and criticism. I guess I am not the greatest at taking criticism, (Sorry Chris ) and maybe felt a little offended by the reply that I got, even though I agreed. I guess I should be prepared for that when I am asking the opinion of thousands of strangers. Not all criticism is constructive criticism though, I guess...:2cents:

Sometimes the responses to questions can get very offensive. While I understand the motive behind the responses, they could be re-thought and worded much better. How about giving the advice asked and then as a bottom note, SUGGEST nicely the other items that need to be done before selling a product. It will go further than a belittling attack.

:2cents:

Trudi

I understand that completely. I found one nice person to help me and answer my questions without being judgemental and drawing conclusions. As I mentioned, sites like these are supposed to help people to learn not push them away by being offensive or insulting them. Is this the way people do business with their customers? I dont care who you are, everyone is new at one point, everyone will make mistakes. No one learned to do this without asking questions and making mistakes.

Sometimes the responses to questions can get very offensive. While I understand the motive behind the responses, they could be re-thought and worded much better. How about giving the advice asked and then as a bottom note, SUGGEST nicely the other items that need to be done before selling a product. It will go further than a belittling attack.

Ditto - I could not have said this better - It irks me when people get slammed for asking a QUESTION...

I didn't see any excessively harsh answer to your posts, and reading the few posts you wrote in few days I would have thought the same, you are ready to sell.

It's true that no one learns without making mistakes, and asking question, but we saw so many people on here thinking of being great candlemakers in a round of two days and being ready to sell.

That's why maybe someone is in "guard-on" mode.

You can find here an ocean of informations regarding every aspect of candlemaking, every wax or additive that's on this earth. Each of your question has already and answer, and it's here!

And this is possible thanks to all the experienced people who give advices for free.

I know you took it a bit on the bad side, because I know who answered to your post was not so fa from the truth. At a point, we are all tempted to turn this into a business as sooner as we can.

But it's not that easy, you may think you have a great candle from the cold throw, then light it and find out it doesn't throw at all.

So just take one thing at a time, while you're studying how to make a really good candle just focus on it, because it needs time, attention and a lot of thinking.

Good luck

Edited by cybersix

Your best friend here is the "search", you will usually find what you are looking for. Then if that didn't help, ask. I had never done any types of forums before this one. There are alot of very helpful friendly people here who share the same obsession. There is much more positive than negative.

Kyme

Sometimes it's hard to interpret writing because there's no "wink & smile" to accompany what sometimes reads like a very dry, curt statement. The vast majority of posters here have only good intentions and your best interest at heart, as well as the best interest of the candlemaking industry at large. Giving others the benefit of the doubt goes a long way toward preventing misunderstanding. Some of the most blunt instructors I have had along the way were also ones who gave me the most solid advice. I remember being eaten alive by one of my mentors in dog training... she may have been brusque, but she was on target and we became great friends. If I had let my hurt feelings rule the day, I'd have never gotten the opportunity to learn other priceless lessons from her!

I love your enthusiasm and totally understand that you are thinking in many different directions at once, which is natural when people are interested in trying to learn a craft they might like to sell one day.

You've received some good advice: slow down a LITTLE and get organized! Work on getting some products up to par. Before you need labels and a website, you need candles! You can think about logo ideas for your labels while waiting for the candles to cure! Do write these ideas down because so many will flood your mind, it's impossible to remember them all, so keep a notebook!

On the subject of making candles, keeping good manufacturing notes is imperative! Some folks use a notebook - others use index cards. Whatever system works best for you so long as it contains information you can study and refer back to over and over.

Once you've poured a few dozen candles, you may get a feel for what container you might like to concentrate on for your first prototype product. The size/shape/style of that container will control certain aspects of your label design. Once you get that container mastered with your choice of wick/size, wax/additives/FOs & amounts, you will have a better idea of production costs (which you are also keeping track of...), etc.

Keep things simple and build on your successes. In between potential product prototypes, I poured a lot of candles into jars and containers I already owned. I learned a lot about wicking by messing around with those even though I had no intention of carrying those particular containers in my product lineup.

In between, learn about how to start a business - sole proprietorship, LLC, S-corporation? A business name has to be chosen. Check out the application processes and fees for an EIN (employers identification number from IRS), state tax ID number, local licenses, etc. The cost of product liability insurance must be included as a cost of doing business. Other business insurance that covers your shop, materials, etc. may be needed if your homeowner's insurance will not cover these things. Check your homeowner's policy to see if you are covered for ANYTHING if you pour candles in your home! Some policies will rate or drop you because of candlemaking activities in the insured dwelling! If you rent, check your renter's policy and also your lease to see if your landlord allows candlemaking on the premises!

Good luck and keep your eye on the prize!! :)