First experiment with tarts and molds--help, please!

scifichik

I'm experimenting with Golden Blends 415 for tarts.

I got some cute silicone molds and some small, metal tart molds.

The silicone test is set and popped out of the molds very easily, but there is a powdery residue on the surface or sides of some of the tarts and in a few of the mold wells. The tarts have a nice cold throw, so I hope the hot is nice, too.

Have I done something silly with my first batch and should I melt again and repour? I was so excited to try out the molds that I didn't wash them when I got them. I have washed them out with mild dish soap and let them air dry for round 2.

This next part I'm ashamed to admit, but I can't seem to get the tarts out of the metal molds! :angry2: Seriously. They set up nicely, but just seem to be stuck in there. Any suggestions on how to get my wax out, beyond putting all the molds in a warm oven for a meltdown?

The powdery residue on the tarts is frosting. Soy is prone to frosting so you will have to learn how to deal with it. To help release the other tarts from the mold try putting the mold in the freezer for a few minutes then take out and the tarts should pop out.

I have never washed a mold with soap and water before. I just clean out the molds with paper towels so the wax leaves a faint residue for easy release for the next use. Molds get better with use and also will start releasing better. If you continue to have trouble try using a mold release.

The 415 wax you are using is designed for container candles. I know some like to use container wax for their tarts but you may get a better release if you use a harder wax designed for making tarts such as a tart or pillar/votive wax.

I use 415 for tarts all the time but it's not made to be poped out of a mold. I pour into cup cake liners. So if you want to have them pop out you need to add something to harden the wax. Check out your supplier and ask what they would suggest. I'm sure washing your silicone molds won't hurt them but don't wash the metal ones, just heat and wipe clean.

The powdery residue on the tarts is frosting. Soy is prone to frosting so you will have to learn how to deal with it. To help release the other tarts from the mold try putting the mold in the freezer for a few minutes then take out and the tarts should pop out.

I have never washed a mold with soap and water before. I just clean out the molds with paper towels so the wax leaves a faint residue for easy release for the next use. Molds get better with use and also will start releasing better. If you continue to have trouble try using a mold release.

The 415 wax you are using is designed for container candles. I know some like to use container wax for their tarts but you may get a better release if you use a harder wax designed for making tarts such as a tart or pillar/votive wax.

Thanks, Candybee!

I appreciate your input. I'll stick that dozen metal molds in the freezer and see how that works out. The silicone mini-cupcake ones popped out just fine.

The supplier where I purchased my GB wax told me that 415 was their tart/votive blend and 444 was a container blend. Now I'm finding a variety of people use 444 for BOTH containers and tarts, or use 415 for BOTH containers and tarts. LOL. Is it a personal preference thing at work here?

I popped a couple of those frosty duck and heart-shaped tarts on a plate and zapped them for a few seconds with the heat gun---frost went away.

Not sure how long they should cure, but I tossed a few that I made yesterday into the potpourri crock and my kitchen smells great, so at least I've got my scent to an agreeable level.

I use 415 for tarts all the time but it's not made to be poped out of a mold. I pour into cup cake liners. So if you want to have them pop out you need to add something to harden the wax. Check out your supplier and ask what they would suggest. I'm sure washing your silicone molds won't hurt them but don't wash the metal ones, just heat and wipe clean.

Thanks for your input, Sharon. In addition to the cute ducks and hearts silicone molds, I also got some silicone mini-cupcake liners. All those worked like a dream. Worst case and the metal ones don't work out for me in the long run, I've only invested something like $6 into them, so I could always just stick them on eBay and get most (if not all) of my money back.

I'm experimenting with Golden Blends 415 for tarts.

I got some cute silicone molds and some small, metal tart molds.

The silicone test is set and popped out of the molds very easily, but there is a powdery residue on the surface or sides of some of the tarts and in a few of the mold wells. The tarts have a nice cold throw, so I hope the hot is nice, too.

Have I done something silly with my first batch and should I melt again and repour? I was so excited to try out the molds that I didn't wash them when I got them. I have washed them out with mild dish soap and let them air dry for round 2.

This next part I'm ashamed to admit, but I can't seem to get the tarts out of the metal molds! :angry2: Seriously. They set up nicely, but just seem to be stuck in there. Any suggestions on how to get my wax out, beyond putting all the molds in a warm oven for a meltdown?

ACK--TYPO ALERT! I actually have 416 for tarts/votives, not the 415. I just cannot type. Just wanted to clarify. My mistake here.

ACK--TYPO ALERT! I actually have 416 for tarts/votives, not the 415. I just cannot type. Just wanted to clarify. My mistake here.

416? I haven't seen that talked about since I started making candles about 9yrs ago. Brings back good memories of the beginning:smiley2:...

Five minutes in the freezer and quick tap on the bottom of the metal molds was the magic needed to release the tarts. They were pretty and my sister and I enjoyed how nice they smelled in our warmers at our houses. Thanks for the tip about the freezer!

They are silicone molds, but don't have any names or trademarks imprinted anywhere. I've emailed the person I purchased from on eBay to see if she can share with us the source where she originally purchased :) I'll post back if/when she replies.

Edited by scifichik
Can't type!

Not to steal your thunder or anything. But if you for some reason can't get a place of purchase from the eBay seller. You could pm scented. I purchased something from her back around Christmas and she throw in some bear shaped tarts with my order. They look very similar to your picture above. They are very cute. I don't think your tarts look bad at all. I would buy them.

Edited by charmcandleco