not there yet

Thought I had it ... almost all the way done and then It opened up.

This is a CDN 12 ,crystal palm , lemon drop FO 1.3 oz per pound , 3 drops yellow liquid dye and 1 tablespoon of stearic acid.

I thought I smelled victory there for a while

post-11200-139458463984_thumb.jpg

post-11200-139458463987_thumb.jpg

That is very pretty bet it smells good too, sorry about the blow out. Have you tried a 10?:confused: Mine cracked around the top I'm going to try a cd 10, just for grins.

I'm wondering Laura, maybe in the wrecking process It's better at the bottom(which is really the top of the candle)and forms smal gaps at the bottom of the candle (which is the top) when your wrecking, did I say that right:confused: and I think Stella says to stop burning when you get to the last 1"?

Linda

Linda

God - doesn't that make you crazy??!!!

Pillars are a PITA!

you said it sister:mad:

I did order some LX wicking to try. I think what happened here is it got hotter at the bend .

It is not leaking though . I lit it again and it's burning. it slit above the pool.

Actually, I haven't made any 3 inchers yet - only 4 and with most of those I use an LX 24 - some I go up to a 26

I hate making them but my customers love them - everytime I sell one I get anxious - even though I've tested the living crap out of them.

I was selling parasoy pillars to a bar up the street from me and they said they were blowing out the sides right at the beginning (they burned perfectly for me) I tested them again and gave them another batch - same thing - I went there myself to investigate and they had ceiling fans going full blast - I said "candles or fans - choose one"

You never know what people are going to do

Palm is such a beautiful wax and holds scent so well, I just hate to see so much of it go to waste in the shell. It wants to be free! Just get a cylinder glass jar and let it go. Let it blow out and form awesome rings as it does. What doesn't burn on the sides, just scrape to the center so it can melt and burn.

I have used RobNat 1230 crystal pillar wax for 3 years, have never gotten sink holes, don't wreck the tops or repour ever. Same with votives. My palm wax pillars/refills are wonderful sellers and my customers can burn, enjoy every ounce. IMHO Carole :yay:

Palm is such a beautiful wax and holds scent so well,

I agree it is so pretty.

I just hate to see so much of it go to waste in the shell

I just happen to like the look of the shell . not so much on a solid as on some of the layered and tilite ones.

It wants to be free! Just get a cylinder glass jar and let it go. Let it blow out and form awesome rings as it does. What doesn't burn on the sides, just scrape to the center so it can melt and burn

Not a bad idea at all but what about the cutomers that have pillar stands and plates they want to use? What do you do then? There are so many pretty pillar holders plates and stands that are out there. I would love to be able to use them.

My palm wax pillars/refills are wonderful sellers and my customers can burn, enjoy :

I am not sure I understand ... what's a pillar refill?

Thanks much Carole

Laura:smiley2:

My Libbey glass cylinders are reusable, just wash out, pop in a refill and you have a new candle without rebuying the glass. Our answer to going "green." Carole

oh that sounds nice !

Palm wax pillars are so very versatile! Some chandlers like to design them to self-consume in a free-standing environment; others design them to leave a shell. I love Carole's idea of designing her pillars into a sort of giant votive - yet another way to enjoy these wonderful candles - and to keep her customers coming back for more "refills." :)

None of those methods are right or wrong! And no one is saying that someone "HAS" to make pillars a certain way - play around and find one that suits YOU. So long as your candle is well-designed for beauty, safety & good value for the customer, you have made a successful candle!

Me, I CHOOSE burning mine in hurricanes for safety reasons (too many cats!). I wick them to leave a shell which I continue enjoying (and the damn cats can't catch themselves on fire with an electric tealight!). I can also burn them outside of hurricanes and obtain the same pleasing results. It's just all about how you want to design and market YOUR pillars!!

People who have never played around with palm wax or palm pillars do not understand how very different this wax is with which to work. With very basic manipulations of temperature and pouring techniques, palm wax has a huge range of creative possibilities! It makes VERY pretty rustic candles, layered candles, tilties and everything in between. Sometimes, it's hard to let go of a beautiful, one-of-a-kind candle, so we try to hang on a little longer by lighting up the lovely shell.

Customers fall in love with lots of different things about candles. The beauty of handcrafting candles is that most of us know our customers and are not marketing to an anonymous person shopping at the local Dollar Store or WalMart. When a customer falls in love with one of our handcrafted "different" pillar ideas, they also learn how to obtain the results they liked so much. Ya don't get that with WalMart. :D

I tested them again and gave them another batch - same thing - I went there myself to investigate and they had ceiling fans going full blast - I said "candles or fans - choose one"

You never know what people are going to do

Yep - what part of "don't burn in a draft" did they not understand? Guess they only thought a draft was from side to side and not from above as well! :laugh2:

Ya don't get customer service like that from WalMart!!! :)