Jason: 449 wax?

This is great wax. My fragrance throw @ 9 % wasn't quite as strong as I would like but 10% was very good. You're lucky that you achieved such good tops with the first try - took me 3 or 4 times :tongue2: . I'm very interested in knowing how your melt pool is and what type of wick you use. My wax pools are not to the edge of the glass. Jason suggested I ad a little pure Soy to the 449 to soften up a bit so that's my next experiment. I've been using ECO wicks.

By the way, what type of fragrance is JAMAICA ME CRAZY? SOUND LIKE A GOOD ONE.

santa big MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is great wax. My fragrance throw @ 9 % wasn't quite as strong as I would like but 10% was very good. You're lucky that you achieved such good tops with the first try - took me 3 or 4 times :tongue2: . I'm very interested in knowing how your melt pool is and what type of wick you use. My wax pools are not to the edge of the glass. Jason suggested I ad a little pure Soy to the 449 to soften up a bit so that's my next experiment. I've been using ECO wicks.

By the way, what type of fragrance is JAMAICA ME CRAZY? SOUND LIKE A GOOD ONE.

santa big MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Hey ADSoy,

I burned the candle today just to see how the wick worked and if there were any hidden air bubbles in the wax. I'm using the Premier 700 wicks (not my normal wick, but am trying to find a better wick-so far I like these) The size was WI-785. Normally I use an Eco-12 in these jars with the CB-135. The melt pool got pretty close to the edge, but not all the way. I think it might pick up the edges when it burns farther down, but not sure. Oddly enough the top is no longer nice and smooth anymore. That's weird because I tried the 444 and I couldn't get a smooth top when I poured it, but after I burned it the tops would always be smooth. Not much of a scent throw yet, but it is only the day after I made it. I wonder if adding the pure soy will help with the scent throw so you don't have to use 10%? The Jamaica Me Crazy is a great scent. It's a fruity scent from Peak - this is the description: A refreshing blend of tempting tropical fruits with a twist of citrus and a hint of coconut.

Hi Budgie,

I had the same experience with rough when poured, smooth after burning w/444 & just the opposite with 449. Thanks for letting me know about the wicks and melt pool. I'll post my findings after I experience with adding pure soy but in the mean time I'm going to also experiment with other wicks. I won't have the soy for a few more days.

I've noticed more smoke with the ECO's and I have to trim often during the first hour. (Seems like I read where someone else had the same problem).

I've found the scent throws to be better after a few days and also after they've burned for a few hours. This morning I noticed a nice strong throw from a votive that I poured 3 days ago and burned for the first time last night. The cold throw was not great when first poured. I love a big throw in my candles so prefer to use 9-10% FO.

Think I might have to try the Jamaica FO.

Take care,

Linda

I haven't had a chance yet to make a candle with this 449. Yet so far in the threads there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion about wicking. I was just wondering if any of you are wicking the same as usual or wicking up or down?

Just looking for a reference point right now. I use the 9oz hex jar and wick with HTP 104 usually. If the ones I make turn out with the tops I've seen so far I think I'll be changing waxes.

TIA

John

Finally, I am back...got shot down by a nasty flu bug and had a flu shot this year on top of it. I haven't had time to test much, but do have an update on adding the 100% 415 soy wax to the 449. I added the 100% soy at 10% and at 20%...both candles came out just awful. The tops were all bumpy and cratered, but the scent throw is fantastic. So back to the drawing board.

After seeing my post about adding the 100% soy, Jason contacted me and asked me how it went. After telling him my awful results, he suggested I add 5% - 10% of the 402 soy, which is a lower melt point soy. I have not had the time to do so, but will be testing again within the next couple days. I will post my results.

As far as wicking this wax, I have found the cotton wicks do very well. In a 3" container, I am using either a 60-44 cotton, or a 62 cotton. If I need a hotter wick, I use the HTP1212, HTP1312, CD22. In some of my fragrances, I can use the same cotton wick I always have, but in others I have to wick up one size. Hope this helps someone.

More to come! Happy New Year everyone! :thumbsup:

Happy New Year Everyone!

Here are my test results with the 449:

7 oz (2.5" dia) and 12 oz Metro jars (3" dia), 9% FO

Poured at 140, 145, 150, 155, 160, & 165 - all came out with rough tops. Did a 2nd pour and still had rough tops. Cold and hot throws are great.

For wicks, so far I like the Premier 765 for the 7 oz. and the 795 for the 12 oz. I'm still testing wicks as I'm still learning what is acceptable as far as melt pool size, mushrooms, residue, etc.

Thinking that the 9% FO load could be the culprit for the rough tops I poured several 12 oz. at 6%. The tops are nice and smooth except for a couple of holes which the heat gun took care of. While this is fanstastic the throws are really weak. :mad: so I'll just keep on testing and hopefully I'll get it right - and soon :rolleyes2.

I also tried adding 402 Soy at 5% and 10% but the tops were even more rough.

Linda

Finally had a chance to pour some 449 test candles. Poured 3 test with 449 use NG French Vanilla at 8.5%, 1 drop liquid ivory dye Peaks and 9oz hex jar. Poured 1 @ 160, another 155 and 150. All had smooth tops almost like paraffin and none had the circular surface cracks I experienced with 444 because I probably poured too hot. I really like that I can pour at higher temps with 449. Now to figure out which wick to use.

Did a few test burns the first was with HTP 105 melt pool was a little shy of the edge of the jar after 2 1/2 hours, next I dropped in a HTP 1212, flame in my opinion was too high and too hot full melt pool after 1 hour. Next I'll drop back to the HTP 105 exercise a little more patience see what happens. Thats what I did with the 444 and got pretty fair results. Throw was very good cold and hot.

Keep on Pouring

Rookie,

What kind of jars are you using? I can't figure out why I'm not getting smooth tops and you & others are :P I'm doing everything the same as you except just a little more FO. Surely that can't make that much difference (?) Maybe my jar is too deep - I should try pouring a squatty jar and see what happens.

I did another pour yesterday at 150*-160*, 9% FO, room temp 72-75*, still had to do a 2nd pour because of sink holes. 2nd pour doesn't adhere to the sides-probably because of lower pour temp. I've tried placing my jars in a box and covering them to slow down the cooling but results are the same. I sure am glad I was introduced to the heat gun :) .

Linda

Linda,

I'm using the 9oz hex jars, I think there about 3" wide and about 4" tall. How fast are you pouring your jars. I ask that question way back on how fast I should pour a jar and found out I was dumping the wax in too fast. It caused a multitude of problems from air bubbles, sinkholes, rough tops, etc... The others here said it should probably take about 30 seconds to fill my jars. Patience is not my virtue lol. After I slowed down my candle making got much better very fast because I slowed down.

I've been reading about Premier wicks. Whose stocking them? Peaks. I'm really having a hard time wicking the 449, HTP 105 too cool 1212 too hot.

I took a test candle to work burned it for 5 hrs still had a hang up in the top corner and 1/4 inch melt pool. I noticed you had poor adhesion to the sides, I had that with the 444. The 449 did great in that area. I think that I'll like it once I figure it out how to work with it.

HTH

Keep on pouring

John

John, Thanks for the info. I will definitely try timing myself. I pour pretty slow but still could be too fast. Today I read on another thread where several people set their candles on a heating pad to slow down the cooling from the bottom in order to give the tops time to cool slower. can't remember if they mentioned if the pad was warm or not - guess I need to check that out.;)

I'm not much help with wicks as I've only used ECO's and Premier. Have had better luck with the Premiers but still testing to get the perfect combo for every FO and wax, jar, etc.

Joe at www.wickit.net sent me a huge variety of wicks to test. I told him what size jars I was pouring, etc. and he sent wicks for those plus a pack of every other size available. It's been so helpful to have them to test with and I will definately order from him. His TOLL FREE number is 877-3WICKIT.

Happy Pouring,

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

For the ones testing the 449 wax, are your tops setting back up funny after burning? Mine are really smooth and glossy when I pour them (at 165) but when I burn them (to a full melt pool about 3 hrs in 8 oz, square mason jar with HTP 126 wick) they seem to look crystallized and flaky, also looks like a frost line from where the melt pool was. Is this normal? I'm new to candle making so may be doing something wrong. I am letting them cure for 48 hrs. before burning. Am getting good hot and cold throw using Peaks Carrot Cake.

Hi,

I have been testing with the 449 for about 2 months now. Your results are opposite of mine. I can't get smooth tops without using the heat gun. After burning the surface is very smooth and glossy. I use about 10% FO and pour between 145 & 165. (Any of those temps give me the same darned sink hole tops). I don't use dye at this time. Wicks tested have been ECO's and Premier 700's - both leave same smooth tops after burning.

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET TO POURING SMOOTH TOPS????? PLEASE, PLEASE SHARE:bow:

I don't recall getting the frosty edge you mentioned so can't help you there. If you've read the threads for 449 you'll see that everyone seems to get differing results. Seems to be the nature of Soy in general. I think I could make candles in a different room in the same house and get different results. Candlemaking definately teaches - tests patience.:smiley2:

I look forward to your smooth top secret.;)

Linda

:) I wish I knew what the secret is also, I think maybe just beginners luck.

I heat the wax to 185, add 1 dye chip stir well, cool to 175, then add FO and stir for 2 minutes, let cool to 165 then pour slowly into room temperature jars. I am adding 1 oz. Peaks FO:smiley2: (only ones I have used so far and really like them) to 1 lb. of wax. My tops are perfect until I burn them:sad2:

I have some Premiere wicks coming so I am going to try them to see if it helps with the top issues I am having after burning. My melt pool is not very deep only about 1/8 in. even after 4 hours so I may need to go a little hotter to see if this makes a difference.:cheesy2:

Thanks for sharing your tests. I think I'll try your formula just to see if my tops turn out smooth. If so, then it's the amount of FO that I'm using. I use oils from various suppliers but always in quantities of about 9-10% - that amount just seems to give me the cold and hot throws that I'm happy with. I like really fragrant candles.

I'll post my results as soon as I have time to play.

Linda

I poured both of these waxes and IMO the 449 looks way better then the 444. The 444 already has wet spots, the tops are cracked and some minor frosting on one of them.

The 449 has a nice smooth creamy top, no cracks, no frosting and no wetspots. I just poured them today but there is already a distinct difference between the two. Also the 449 has almost an immediate cold throw compared to the 444, barely has any. The 449 is also whiter in appearance, hubby noted the 444 looks dirty?

I found the EXACT same findings. 449 for the win, hands down. :highfive:

Also the 449 has almost an immediate cold throw compared to the 444, barely has any. The 449 is also whiter in appearance, hubby noted the 444 looks dirty?

4 oz JJ - 444 wax. Heated to 180 degrees, added 7.5% FO, poured at 135 degrees

4 oz JJ - 449 wax. Heated to 180 degrees, added 7.5% FO, poured at 165 degrees

FO used was Just Scent Creme de la Creme, no color used. The 449 has the best throw, so far. There's no cold throw from the 444 yet, but the 449 smells awesome already. Also, the 444 is quite a bit darker in color. I'll post some pics later. I'm not really liking the 444.

Neither have any major sink holes or cracks. Slight shrinkage around the wick, but that's minor. The tops aren't perfect, but I didn't expect them to be.

CandleTest1.jpg

CandleTest2.jpg

I e-mailed Candle Science to see if they can start carrying the 449. I'd hate to have to buy it from Peaks, considering they're on the other side of the country. Shipping isn't cheap...

Edited to add pics. Also, the cold throw on the 444 is improving, but the 449 is still best.

Did a burn test. This is only after a 2.5 hour burn though, since my BF said to put them out because they smell awful. *lol* The tops are pretty ugly on both, but the 449 is worse.

CandleTest3.jpg

CandleTest4.jpgCandleTest5.jpg

I'm going to do a 4 hour burn, and see how that goes. These are wicked with LX-16's, by the way.

Edit: Just did the 4 hour burn, and they tunneled. :( LX-16 is the largest size wicks I have right now, so I'll have to wait to do any more testing.

Over the past few weeks I made three GW449 testers in three different scents WITHOUT color. Last night I did two more both in a purple color so they had a lot of dye- one set uo very chunky looking and the other had a small simk hole. When I used the heat gun on the sink hole I realized it was a huge crater! Both have frosting on almost the entire jar!

I poured several testers @ 150 with the 449, no dye, wicked with my usal wicks and all different FOs that I normally use. They set up beautifully, no wet spots and nice smooth tops. I love that. However, I'm not really impressed at all with the cold throw with this wax - the 444 cold throw isn't that great either. So far, the candles I've test burned are leaving lots of hang up but that could catch up since its soy. The hot throw isn't as good as my current wax, but I was pouring in another room so it could be candle nose. I do like how this wax sets up and the fact that you can pour at such a higher temp which save me loads of time. I'll keep you posted on the rest of my burns and how it throws.

I remelted these and poured at 165- put a box on top of them so they would not cool too quickly and got the same results- sink holes and major frosting! I think after testing the GW44 and GW449- I have decidie to stick with 415 plain soy- it is a lot less finicky and has always worked well for me.