Jason: 449 wax?

Poured another mason jar with MC and 3% BW, 6% MC Patchouli to compare the cold throw to the 449 I poured earlier. When I got home last night, I had DW compare, and she said the MC one was stronger, but all three smelled good. When I smelled them, the MC was stronger but the 449 was pretty close!

So far, so good. Next I will single wick with HTP-126 and test hot throw. Stay tuned! :)

your geek

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, somewhat bad news. Burned the three jars, and hot throw is terrible! However, it's not the wax's fault. Used 6% load of MC Patchouli. The cold throw was OK, but hot was almost nonexistent. I'm going to try again with a different Patch and higher load.

geek

Well do you normally use MC patch at 6%? or are you using unfamiliar oils to test wax?

This is the first MC FO I have had trouble with. They test their FO to work with their soy, which is what I use, if you've bothered to read my posts.

geek

:rolleyes2 I didn't see anything on their site that stated that their FO's were formulated specifically for their soy. If they do state it, then I have missed seeing it and I apologize. All of thier FO's should work in just about any soy. I use some of them in my KY soy with no problem. I don't think KFTS meant anything by the post, was just curious. So, lighten up already and Happy Holidays Geek :wink2:

Sooooooo, on a lighter note, I would like to ask this of the people testing. Have any of you tested these waxes with any dark dye colors in them yet? I have been reading mostly no dye and very light dye colors. If you have used dark colored dyes in this wax, how did your finished candles look? Thanks!

:sad2: please accept my apologies for being snippy, it's been busy with my Christmas presents and suddenly I'm getting candle business! I'm filling a modest fundraiser order. and I'm givng away 24 jelly jars to my DW's coworkers as presents, and to possibly generate future business. I promise to be good.

Naaaah! :P LOL

your geek

This is the first MC FO I have had trouble with. They test their FO to work with their soy, which is what I use, if you've bothered to read my posts.

geek

I did read your post and I still wasn't clear if you had specifically tried that one before or I wouldn't have asked. I'm going to be trying this 449 wax and have been reading the reviews, so when you say it doesnt throw I was just trying to get more info. Have a nice day.

449 & 444

Decided to try and make these again using Creme Brulee and Holiday Wassel and had some trouble,,,had to double wick the Holiday wassel with 2 60z's and the Creme Brulee with a 51z is doing ok for now. < these done in 16 oz wide mouth kerr jars ,,,I have done a couple more from the leftovers and used 1/2 pint ball mason and 4oz jj's and poured @ 130 got better results then before.

Well anyway,,I am going to keep testing and I am also going to try the 415 too,,,

I did read your post and I still wasn't clear if you had specifically tried that one before or I wouldn't have asked. I'm going to be trying this 449 wax and have been reading the reviews, so when you say it doesnt throw I was just trying to get more info.

I have had good throw from MC FOs but for some reason the Patch at 6% did not throw well hot, in fact the cold throw was better. Based on my other tests with 444 I'm concluding it was the FO and/or the load, not the wax. I'm still impressed with the wax, and though you do make a valid point on using an untested FO, I had the same FO and load in my current wax as well as the 444 and 449 in this test, and the throw was not good in all three. I suppose I should have said this first instead of jumping ugly on you :embarasse

geek

I have had good throw from MC FOs but for some reason the Patch at 6% did not throw well hot, in fact the cold throw was better. Based on my other tests with 444 I'm concluding it was the FO and/or the load, not the wax. I'm still impressed with the wax, and though you do make a valid point on using an untested FO, I had the same FO and load in my current wax as well as the 444 and 449 in this test, and the throw was not good in all three. I suppose I should have said this first instead of jumping ugly on you :embarasse

geek

gotcha, thanks. BTW, their mountain lake didn't throw for me. Even though they test in soy, and other companies that test in soy, sometimes still get FOs that fall flat.

*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP* Stupid question alert!

What is MC? I've never used soy so I've been doing a lot of reading here. I just got my samples, but I'm very intimidated by this...lol. Not only do I have no clue where to start wicking with any soy, or this kind in particular, but I have no idea if any of my FOs will throw in soy. I'm guessing that MC is a supplier of FO's formulated to work in soy?

Poured GF 449 and 435 tonight with KY's Christmas Tree at 1.2 pp. Used 6 dropes green pp so it is dark. Poured 435 at ?? but it was cool and 449 at 160*. Used a CD 12 in the 449 and CD 14 in 435. With the batch of 435 I have now the CD 14 is burning hotter than I like and is mushrooming. So went down with the 449. Both look great with no frosting. I alway poke near wick and repour never trust the wax. Just topped them off and will test burn tomorrow. I know this scent throws great so I'm going for a clean burn with no or very little mushroom. The 449 just looks creamer.

pour results...12/16

Also poured Apple Jack, 1.5pp with 449 and KY's red spice. 145* at pouring. The Apple Jack looks great, no frost, 1/2 the wax has pulled away from the jar/wet spot, looks very good. CD14 wick

The Christmas Tree with 449 has frost on the whole top half of jar, sq mason and the bottom looks great no frost at all maybe I poured too fast, no wet spots. Poured at 160*

Will test burn over weekend.

What is MC? I've never used soy so I've been doing a lot of reading here. I just got my samples, but I'm very intimidated by this...lol. Not only do I have no clue where to start wicking with any soy, or this kind in particular, but I have no idea if any of my FOs will throw in soy. I'm guessing that MC is a supplier of FO's formulated to work in soy?

It is Millcreek. Thier oils have been formulated to work in soy, but they are good for other waxes and applications as well. Thier site is http://www.millcreeksoywaxcandlesupply.com

I poured two test candles with 449 last night. 9oz bean pot jars with HTP 126 wicks and 6% FO in one (JS Extra Spicey Spice Cookie) and 3.6% FO in the other (Sweetcakes Christmas Thyme). No dye. Both heated to 170*, add FO, pour @ 160*. Results:

JS jar: Very good cold throw, slight pitting at top, some frosting, no wet spots.

SC jar: Also good cold throw, no pitting or cracking, quite a bit of frosting, no wet spots.

Hot throw TBD. Next time I will pour at 155* to see if it makes a difference with the frosting.

What happen to my other posts about the 449? I cannot find them!

Update:

I love the cold/hot throw and the NO frosting. However, I am having a hard time getting a smooth top :confused: . I have poured at 130, 140, 160, and now 155; the 155 are still setting up. I am hoping I can achieve a smooth top since this would be my NEW choice for wax.

I have read all the posts and am trying all pouring suggestings. I did add a bit of 100% soy tonight to see if this would make a difference: one candle with 10% and the other with 20%. I will keep you posted on my testing results for these new testers.

The burn on my other 3 testers couldn't be better. The cold and hot throws are wonderful. I use 10% fragrance for the most part; cotton wicks, and color flakes. More to come!

Happy Holidays santa chee

I've been wondering that same quesiton :undecided I'm really new at this too - 2 weeks to be exact. My suggestion is to research, research, and then research some more and then experiment BIG TIME. At first it was daunting but now it's addicting. There are tons of soy sites that offer help but most are specific to their waxes. I learned alot of the basics by researching on the web but the best help has been from this forum. Visit candlecauldron.com - it's not specifically for Soy but very helpful. They're blank test forms are great - just print them off -by the dozens! Good luck, Linda

REALMARCHA

I'm very anxious for your results at 155*. I've experimented at all the same temps as you have with the same results. Now I'm stumped - I just want smooth tops santa big . Merry Christmas! Linda

Edit - I melted three containers of 449 in the microwave to start over quickly and decided to let them cool just to see what happened. Lo and behold they're gorgeous! Heated to 200* and just let set. Cold throw is still. Too bad this is not a real solution for production.

Still having problems with a good burn pool on all 3" dia containers. Using the Eco 14 which is the largest. Guess I'll have to try something else.

Linda

Has anyone tested ECO wicks with the Golden wax? I'm using the Eco 14 in an 8 oz. 3 " dia. tin (449 wax) 10% FO Dickens Christmas. The melt pool stops at about 1/2" from side, no smoke or soot and no mushroom. I think the 14 is the largest ECO available. I prefer to stay with a cotton wick - any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit - I'm burning a new tin and now I have smoke. Weird.

REALMARCHA

Edit - I melted three containers of 449 in the microwave to start over quickly and decided to let them cool just to see what happened. Lo and behold they're gorgeous! Heated to 200* and just let set. Cold throw is still. Too bad this is not a real solution for production.

Linda

This is alway happening to me.. How can I incorporate this into making my candles. Should I mix scent and color then let it cool remelt to hot and then pour into containers. Would I then get no frosting and great candles? When you remelted did the frost sink to the bottom of the jar? Is there a kind of white powder on the bottom? Mine has it, so does that mean it will be in the bottom of the pour pot and heating again and pouring will mix it so they will apear again. Frosting to me looks like air trapped in the wax but when I see the white in the bottom I know it has to be something else. Help......

Sharon in KY,

I didn't have the frosting problem you mentioned. The 449 just looks really good after microwaving to 200 and scent is still very good. I can't take the time to do this in production otherwise I would. So I'm going to try pouring at 165 or higher and see what happens. I'll post findings.

Good luck! Linda

I got a sample of this wax last week and made a candle with it last night. So far I LOVE this wax!!:yay: I made an 8oz Tumbler with 8% Jamaica Me Crazy and 1 Melon dye chip from Peak. I heated to 174*, added fragrance and poured at 160*. The tops came out perfectly smooth except for a slight crack by the wick (which was easily fixed with the heat gun) and there are no wet spots. The cold throw is not quite as strong as I would like it to be, but you can still smell it. I don't know about the hot throw as I have not burned it yet. This wax is so easy to work with! I can't wait to see how strong the scent is when it burns.