Jason: 449 wax?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been wondering this too. Does the 444 seem to be the more popular choice and if so, is that why suppliers so far are carrying this instead of the 449? Also, what is the difference between the two? I see the melt point on the 449 is a little higher - are there just different percentages of the same waxes in them?:confused:

Thanks!

I poured one of the 449 tonight. It set up very odd. It started setting up, like it was crystalizing. When it solidified, it was very rough looking on the top, more so than when I had added beeswax to the 444. I have not heatgunned it yet. Heated to 180 and poured at 130. Maybe pouring too cool. Might try another one tomorrow at a higher pour temp.

Kaybee

That is really strange because I had almost the exact opposite happen to me. The 449 tops set up really smooth, and the 444 were a little rough and pitted. And after I burned the 444 a few times, it got a little smoother, but the 449 was always pretty smooth. I poured them both at 140. :confused: The 449 leaves more of a residue, though on the sides of the jars.

It was very strange. I may pour a couple of new ones today. It appeared to be crystalizing on the top right after I poured it. Maybe I poured it too cool. I am going to try pouring at 140 instead of 130. Just goes to show you how different waxes react in different environments.

Kaybee

Yes it is very cold and dry here right now. I live in Idaho. After burning the 444 and 449 side by side, they don't look as different after several burns. I have poured about 6 of each, at differing Temps, I am going to let them cure now for about a week to test the throw. So far, I can't tell which one is better. I like them both, but am leaning a little bit towards the 444. I would like to know the difference in composition of the two though. Thanks for posting your results.

I poured both of these waxes and IMO the 449 looks way better then the 444. The 444 already has wet spots, the tops are cracked and some minor frosting on one of them.

The 449 has a nice smooth creamy top, no cracks, no frosting and no wetspots. I just poured them today but there is already a distinct difference between the two. Also the 449 has almost an immediate cold throw compared to the 444, barely has any. The 449 is also whiter in appearance, hubby noted the 444 looks dirty?

I'm going to let them cure a couple days and see how the hot throw fairs. I poured 3 testers in each wax with the same scents. Christmas tree poured at 145. Apple Pie poured at 155 and Orange Chiffon poured at 165. All of the 449's are identical, no difference in pour temps but the Apple pie and x-mas tree seem to be sweating? Odd the OC is the heaviest oil. The 444's have a surface crack and the OC poured at 165 has a sink hole. Minor frosting on x-mas tree. All are 1 oz per lb FO in 8 oz testers.

I took some pictures but I cannot find my usb cord that hooks it up :( Guess I'll have to pick a new one up on Monday.

Got to thinking! Wondering if maybe the 444 has more soy in it and might be better to pour it cooler? I see some of you have poured cooler then me with different results.

Now the 449 must not like the lower temps. The OC I poured at 165 actually looks the best in the 449.

Just to be an "outside the box" kinda person....

I took 1lb of 449 up to 180...

Added 1oz of Canteloupe FO (Peaks)...

Added 1 Melon Color Chip (Reddig Glo from CandleScience)....

Poured into room temperature 8oz square mason jars (approximately 72 degrees) at wax temp of 168....

THEY DRIED FLAWLESSLY!!! Well other than a small spot around the wick. I couldn't believe it.... In the jar also is an HTP83 wick. Burning one of them now and the scent throw is good I think however in this setup it needs to be wicked up a little. The HTP83 is leaving a little hanging on the sides after 3 seperate 4 hour burns. Here are some pictures of the one that isn't burning.

TOP VIEW

top.jpg

BOTTOM VIEW - Small amounts of frosting in spots...

bottom.jpg

SIDE 1 - You can see a small amount of frosting along the bottom of the jar

side1.jpg

SIDE 2 - Again just a littel towards the bottom

side2.jpg

SIDE 3 - Same thing...

side3.jpg

SIDE 4 - This side is pretty clear. I have a feeling the small amounts of frosting in this candle are from the jar position in relation to the open window (keeps the kitchen cooler than the rest of the house). I think maybe the areas that are frosted are maybe the areas that were getting a little more cool air from the outside.

side4.jpg

What does everyone think??

I mean am I crazy for thinking that this is pretty darn easy??

Has the 449 taken the "skill" out of candle making??

Hope this all helps or gives someone some information that will help them.

The 423 blend is next for my testing... Pillar Blend going to try it in some tarts. :yay:

Mark

Mark,

Those look great!! And pretty much what my jars look like, although I did not color or wick them so I had a little dip and crack in the top of mine. I hope that one of the suppliers picks this one up so I can play around a little more with it. Thanks for showing.

OK, here goes.

Top-449, xmas tree, 449 apple pie, 449 orange chiffon

Bot-444, xmas tree, 444 apple pie, 444 orange chiffon.

So far I guess both of the ones poured at 165 look the best to me. I really can't tell any difference in the pour temps with the 449 but there is a surface crack in all of the 444's. The 444's are also a murky in color compared to the 449's. All have wet spots. Still think the 449 has a slightly better cold throw. gbsoy.jpg

Your 444s look just like mine did, with the sinkholes and cracking. I've tried pouring at 130 and 140, and got the same sinking. It could be that my basement may be a bit chilly. I just got some 449 and will try it later. I have pics on the stickied thread in case you want to see. Good job to all!

your friendly neighborhood geek :smiley2:

Just got around to pouring some 449. Two 8 oz sq masons, 6% MC Patchouli (far out man), heated to 185, added FO at 180, stirred, poured one at 155, and the second at 140. So far, setting up very smooth. Will report tomorrow when fully cooled. Will also do one in MC soy (415) wiht 3% BW to compare cold throw.

the geek

I poured at those tems because when I added FO at 180, I stirred for about three minutes, and the temp dropped that much in that time. I was only making a 13 oz batch, so maybe a larger batch might not cool thayt fast. After pouring first one, I stirred again for just a few seconds, then took temperature. It peaked out at 140, then I poured. Both are very smooth, with the 140 pour having a very-very slight circular hairline crack where one would normally see the center sinking. I don't see it on the 155 pour, but I wasn't able to pour exactly the same amount of wax in each jar (oh BTW I used square 8 oz masons) and the 140 pour came up a litle higher in the neck of the jar. Wold that have contributed to the cracking? The cracking is so slight you really cannot see it in the pic, but I can see it up close, and at first glance you cannnot see it at all, and it's not worth heat gunning. Cold throw does not seem too good, but I will withhold judgement till I get same FO in some MC to compare.

I do like the hot pour quality of this blend! :drool:

geek

I have been burning my 449 for about 4 days now. It has a great hot/cold throw and sets up relatively nice after each burn. Also, I have not had to change the wicks once, and they get minimal mushrooming after a 3 hour burn. I have to say I like the appearances of this wax much better than the 444. Thanks for the great pix again geek.