Looking to set up website

arw1019

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse? You haven't even perfected a candle yet and you are talking about labels and web sites. Have you gotten your product liability insurance yet? That should be in place before you start testing any candles.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. I feel its never too early to start researching though. No, Im not nearly ready to do that yet but I do wanna research and takes notes now. I feel it will benefit me when I am ready. Does that make sense now? I researched for weeks before I attempted to make a candle. I wanted to be armed with knowledge and wanted to know what to expect. It makes sense to me.

You might find this link helpful ... even though the inquiry is for B&B there are some leads for websites: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86823&highlight=website

And more specific recommendations are in this thread: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84745&highlight=website

I did a simple search using the word "website". There's a wealth of information using the search feature!

I have to agree with Chris...product liability insurance should be top on the list of things to research, as opposed to websites, marketing, affiliate programs & labels. Especially since you just made your first candle 4 days ago.

Your post on 2/25 gives the impression that you do not plan to sell your product (copy below)

So, last night was my first night ever making a candle. Decent cold throw, faint hot throw. Im not even looking to really sell these just to make an awesome smelling candle that will smell up my living room.

You say that you researched for weeks before making your first candle, but your post later on 2/25 states "Thats all I've been doing, reading and writing notes for over a week."

Whether it was one week or several weeks, any research at all would have made you aware that candles have to cure. To pour your first candle, burn it the same night & come on here the next day to question the scent throw gives the impression to many that you may be "jumping the gun" a little.

Patience is the key to being successful in this business....it doesn't happen overnight. Months and months of research, testing, trial & error will all play a part. Sit back, relax & have fun with your new hobby.

I actually did research insurance. I would love to make something to benefit me but if it would benefit my family and friends, then why not? The first candle that I made was from a kit that and the man who sold it to me claimed I didn't have to even take the temperature. The instructions also said to pour and I would be able to light it the next day. I never researched curing because this man claimed to have 11 yrs experience. I am not trying to make a career out of selling candles. I am a licensed real estate agent looking to get that career started but any extra money I can make would greatly help me. I thought I would try making a candle because I'm tired of spending $25 at Yankee for a candle that is not that great. To be honest, with replies like that, it makes me not want to post. I thought sites like these were supposed to be helpful and encourage people. Obviously I came here to learn something. Had I not found this forum, I would not know anything. Try to Google "how to make a candle". It says nothing about curing,not much on amounts of oil or wax to use or the importance of wick size. I was reading and taking alot of notes and in my search I was able to find this forum. I'm in my mid 20's, a single parent, and trying to make ends meet. I figured if I could learn how to make a great candle I would love to share it with people. The only way I will learn anything at all is by asking questions.

Off the topic, I appreciated the advice that you gave me in a previous post. The last candles I made, I made them the way that you said you did. I have a feeling that those are going to come out great. I could smell them two rooms away ( my house is kinda small) not being lit. Thank you

I actually did research insurance. I would love to make something to benefit me but if it would benefit my family and friends, then why not? The first candle that I made was from a kit that and the man who sold it to me claimed I didn't have to even take the temperature. The instructions also said to pour and I would be able to light it the next day. I never researched curing because this man claimed to have 11 yrs experience. I am not trying to make a career out of selling candles. I am a licensed real estate agent looking to get that career started but any extra money I can make would greatly help me. I thought I would try making a candle because I'm tired of spending $25 at Yankee for a candle that is not that great. To be honest, with replies like that, it makes me not want to post. I thought sites like these were supposed to be helpful and encourage people. Obviously I came here to learn something. Had I not found this forum, I would not know anything. Try to Google "how to make a candle". It says nothing about curing,not much on amounts of oil or wax to use or the importance of wick size. I was reading and taking alot of notes and in my search I was able to find this forum. I'm in my mid 20's, a single parent, and trying to make ends meet. I figured if I could learn how to make a great candle I would love to share it with people. The only way I will learn anything at all is by asking questions.

I'm sorry if my prior reply to you came across the wrong way. It just seemed odd that you were asking about the business side of this so soon after making your first candle, something that others here thought was odd as well. Obviously, the man that sold you a kit did not give you good advice. As I mentioned to you previously, patience is the key. If you take enough time to experiment with this, you will eventually perfect it.

For me, it was months and months of experimenting, testing & more testing. In addition to alot of frustration, many sleepless nights & almost giving up. I did not sell a candle until 8 months after I made my first one, since I was determined that it had to be perfect first. Several hundred jars, 300 lbs of wax & many bottles of EO later, I was finally happy with my product.

I applaud you for being a single mom & wanting to do something to supplement your income. My daughter is a single mom of 2 and it's not easy for her either. If your real estate market is as bad there, as it is here, it's not a great business to be in right now.

I agree that asking questions is the best way to gain knowledge about candle making and this forum is the best place for that. I'm glad that the prior information that I provided to you proved beneficial and your next batch of candles came out better. Keep working at it, take lots of notes on every batch you make and don't even think about selling anything right now. If you focus on perfecting your product, things will work out in the end. I wish you all the best!

I think its great that you came here to learn how to make a good candle and I hope that you are able to do that someday. There is a lot of good advice here on this forum and this is where I learned to perfect my candlemaking. It takes time and lots of money and research to make a good candle let alone a great one.

I also know where others are coming from as we see this all the time here. People making their 1st candle today and setting up their website the next, then selling their candles before they have even answered their own questions about making a good and safe candle. If you stick around long enough you will see this pattern repeated over and over again by people who don't want to bother learning the craft prior to selling.

It also doesn't do anything to help those legitimate candlemakers who have worked years and spent hard earned money to perfect their candles when someone buys a shoddily made candle from a poor craftsman.

Just follow your dream and keep at it and someday you will be ready to sell. Thats how I started. I have been selling my candles now for 5 years and I still feel I have lots more to learn. Thats why I come here to learn about something new or different I haven't tried before. Good luck and don't be shy to ask questions.

I'm like you, I want to research every aspect thoroughly. The excitement of creating something new gets to you. You want to make it perfect in every way. I chose my jar and ordered. Then while waiting for my other supplies to arrive, I spent hours working on what to do with labeling and packaging. (though I am re-starting up an old candle business).

I did my website through weebly.com upon recommendations received here. Very easy to use. I have gotten many compliments on it, though it's still a work in progress. My friend, who organizes direct sales company expos, even called to ask where I found that company to sell for...LOL!

www.NaturallyTru.com

Trudi

Thank you. I do appreciate you taking the time to write back. Like I said, mainly I just wanted to make a nice candle instead of buying candles that dont smell that cost a fortune. I hosted a Partylite show because my friend sells them, I got alot of stuff for free (which was great). The box arrived smelling so nice and when I lit the candles, NO SMELL. I also would rather give my money (the little extra I have) to a small business and buy from people, for instance, that sell on here. And with that being said, it seems like I'm always trying to learn and perfect ways to make money with something I enjoy doing. I also make jewelry. I'm sorry if I was defensive. Thank you again

Any suggestions for setting up a site? Good prices, advertising on the site... I know less about this than I do about making candles!!! LOL:):)

Now, THIS I know something about :)

GoDaddy or Yahoo are your best bets for a one-stop shopping experience. You can register your domain name (the part of your email address that follows the @ sign), get email accounts set up and register for web hosting (the place on the internet where your website "lives.")

Both GoDaddy and Yahoo have good customer service, and good online tools to help you build a professional-looking site that has shopping cart features.

You can expect to spend $150 or less for a domain name and a year's worth of hosting. Yahoo tends to offer better discounts than GoDaddy, from time to time.

Arw1019,

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Dont worry about people on here being rude like Chris. He is always up someones butt.... As I have been told " He doesn't sugar coat anything" LOL,, Which doesnt really help you any. There are more nice people than, the not so nice here. This board is for researching and learning. Just type in the search , and you will find all kinds of threads. You will learn by your mistakes and hopefully someone here will be nice enough to help. So don't sweat it. I too have been ashamed of the people here. You just have to do some weeding.

Monica

Arw1019,

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Dont worry about people on here being rude like Chris. He is always up someones butt.... As I have been told " He doesn't sugar coat anything" LOL,, Which doesnt really help you any. There are more nice people than, the not so nice here. This board is for researching and learning. Just type in the search , and you will find all kinds of threads. You will learn by your mistakes and hopefully someone here will be nice enough to help. So don't sweat it. I too have been ashamed of the people here. You just have to do some weeding.

Monica

I have nothing to say here except...Chris is a SHE not a HE.