What is the soy wax of your choice?

I'm curious to know what other chandlers are using.

What is your wax of choice and why did it become your #1?

I'm a newbie and have stumbled into a local supplier of Golden Blends, so I can make a quick trip and save myself the huge UPS shipping fees on my wax, so GB 444 for containers and 415 for tarts/votives have become my darlings. I'm experimenting now with wicks and FO, so am hoping the results from this wax will be good.

I did really like the results from the Ecosoya 135 I got in my first soy container kit from Peak, but shipping on a 50 pound carton is nearly $35 to my part of the world, so that would make my cost on the wax alone be around $95 for a carton. Too rich for this newbie's blood :(

I use GB 464, and love it.

Why 464? because its what I started with, years ago... what I went through all the wick testing, frustration, frosting, so on and so forth with... and when I got it right, and I was thousands of dollars into wicks, jars, wax, FO's, and time... I wasnt about to start testing a DIFFERENT wax!!! lol. I guess my theory is, if its not broke... dont fix it.

Fortunately the closest wax supplier to me is C&S and they have a huge variety of waxes to chose. For soy containers I picked CB135. I like the cold and hot throw I get and after resolving frosting issues I am sticking with it. I have also tried the C3 and like that too but not as much as the CB135. The one I hated was the CBA. Although it had excellent appearence and cold throw the hot throw is fiction.

Your best bet is to do what many of us do and that is to stick with that supplier closest to you to save on shipping and work with the waxes they sell. All waxes have a learning curve and have their little quirks you have to get to use to and work through them. Shipping can be a killer so save money where you can.

Are you adding anything to the 415 to help harden it up tarts/votives? 415 is typically used for containers. Hotter months might melt them.

Edited by Meridith
typo

Your best bet is to do what many of us do and that is to stick with that supplier closest to you to save on shipping and work with the waxes they sell. All waxes have a learning curve and have their little quirks you have to get to use to and work through them. Shipping can be a killer so save money where you can.

Are you adding anything to the 415 to help harden it up tarts/votives? 415 is typically used for containers. Hotter months might melt them.

Meredith, thanks for the tip on the wax types! The supplier I purchased from has the 415 listed specifically as a tart/votive blend and the 444/464 as a container blend. Being a newbie and not knowing any better, that's the route I went.

I didn't use any additive for the 415 and the first test pour of tarts in small silicone molds worked well, little ducks that are about half inch across and about half ounce.

Are you adding anything to the 415 to help harden it up tarts

I am able to make tarts without adding anything to my 415. In order to remove them from the mold I do have to chill them a bit and then they pop out.

I can't make votives though for the reason you atated very soft.

Laura

That's pretty darn close! My closest supplier is 3 hours away.

Trudi

That's what I'm learning---I'm really fortunate to have a supplier this close---so I *will* learn to use this wax to make a good product, or die trying :) The amount I save on shipping nearly makes purchasing wax a "buy 2, get 1 free" deal for me.

I am able to make tarts without adding anything to my 415. In order to remove them from the mold I do have to chill them a bit and then they pop out.

I can't make votives though for the reason you atated very soft.

Laura

415 did not work well for us in our clamshells. It makes a huge mess because it crumbles too easily. During the summer, it gets too soft.

415 did not work well for us in our clamshells. It makes a huge mess because it crumbles too easily. During the summer, it gets too soft.

So far, I can make decent 4 and 8 oz container candles, so I feel relatively comfortable if this is the wax I am "stuck" with due to the high cost of shipping other wax types.

I made some Dixie-cup votives, but I'm missing a key point somewhere because one of my testers the sides promptly leaked out and the other one tunneled straight south and burned out. The third one looks really pretty and is still in the votive holder. LOL He may just sit there :)

I'm curious to know what other chandlers are using.

What is your wax of choice and why did it become your #1?

I'm a newbie and have stumbled into a local supplier of Golden Blends, so I can make a quick trip and save myself the huge UPS shipping fees on my wax, so GB 444 for containers and 415 for tarts/votives have become my darlings. I'm experimenting now with wicks and FO, so am hoping the results from this wax will be good.

I did really like the results from the Ecosoya 135 I got in my first soy container kit from Peak, but shipping on a 50 pound carton is nearly $35 to my part of the world, so that would make my cost on the wax alone be around $95 for a carton. Too rich for this newbie's blood :(

TYPO ALERT: I actually meant 416 was the wax they sold me for tarts/votives. I see now on the GB website that 415 is a container blend, and wanted to clarify that I have the 416, which the GB website suggests for tarts----so my supplier lady wasn't a crackhead after all....it was me and I cannot type well with numbers! :)

I use 464. I like it because I can get really good candles without jumping through too many hoops. I guess I am one of the lucky ones in the world. I live 1 hour away from Starrville in Tyler and have really great success with them. It's nice when you can develop a one on one relationship with your supplier instead of going through a phone. I think you get better customer service that way. You can also learn little tricks of the trade if you stand there and yack for an hour!

JLynne

Hi , I used to use a soy wax from Kentucky Candle Supply and used it for years.. the one thing with soy wax is it can be unpredictable so testing is always a given..

It sounds like you have a good thing going with driving to get your wax, shipping has dramatically increased since I changed my business.. that was one of the reasons..

I have heard of Golden and in the past it was said that many use this wax but they use their own trademark name on the wax.. hard to find out thou as noone tells..

I was always looking for a different soy wax because there seemed to be so many on the market, but in reality many can be the same.. or similiar..

if you can save on shipping that would be what I would do.. this can really help cut your costs..

I hope this helped

Diane Mumm

I use GB 464, and love it.

Why 464? because its what I started with, years ago... what I went through all the wick testing, frustration, frosting, so on and so forth with... and when I got it right, and I was thousands of dollars into wicks, jars, wax, FO's, and time... I wasnt about to start testing a DIFFERENT wax!!! lol. I guess my theory is, if its not broke... dont fix it.

Meeeeeee too, except I use GW444 (Isn't this the same as GB444? - pardon me if it's not because I use the two interchangeably on there.. oops!) and I haven't finished testing. I've got a case sitting here that will probably take me a year to get through LOL... of course I have 2 school age kids, a 3-month old, (all boys!) 4 dogs, and a hubby in school and I work full time.., as well as tutor a 17-year-old in algebra... ugh. LOL..

I rarely have time to make candles, but somehow I fit it in.. WHY? Because it's the only thing that keeps me sane!!! Haha :P

I tried EZ soy (415) first, did not like some of its bad habits. When I tested NatureWax C3 I stuck with it. I cannot concentrate on several waxes at once to test, so I work with only one or two at a time (container & pillar). The C3 was workin' for me, so I applied the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom and really have not looked back. Shipping is a big concern for me also, and C3 was the closest soy wax to me for a long time.