excel testers

Hi Soy, no I didnt heat the jars but left them out for a while on a sheet of newspaper to go to room temperature. I live in the UK so it is spring here but still a bit mild in the evenings and I made the candles around 4pm so the temp wouldnhave dropped overnight when the heating went off. I'll try and warm the jars first and make them earlier in the day to see if that helps, many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Soy, no I didnt heat the jars but left them out for a while on a sheet of newspaper to go to room temperature. I live in the UK so it is spring here but still a bit mild in the evenings and I made the candles around 4pm so the temp wouldnhave dropped overnight when the heating went off. I'll try and warm the jars first and make them earlier in the day to see if that helps, many thanks.

Kathkat, from my (limited) experience it sounds like you may also need to find a way to control the temperature during the entire cooling process. Can you find a place in your home that you can heat to a constant temp of 70-75* ?

I have also found that I have MUCH better luck with straight sided glass containers with uniform thickness rather than ones that go from thick to thin and have curves. Probably just me being a newbie-newb but thought I'd share in case no one had mentioned it.

I have found that if you are using thicker/heavier glass you can pour a bit hotter. Thinner walled glass containers seem to need a lower pour temp.

Maybe I'm nuts but that is what working pretty well for me!

Good luck! Don't give up! :)

• 1 month later...

I have just started testing the xcel wax in the 12 oz status jar and HTP 104 and 105 seem too large IMO (little puffs of black smoke and large flame). I like the smaller flames myself. Will try an HTP 83 next. I am finding that glass adhesion and HT may not be as good as GB 464, but if the wax will maintain its appearance over time (no frosting developing in shops or in storage), I think I may be a converter. I think it is just going to take some time to work with it to find what works best in my workshop.