excel testers

Thank you for the info. Maybe it's something for me to explore after I'm finished with case of 135 I have 1/2 left of.:laugh2:Been waiting for this wax to hit the market since announced at convention last Memorial week, Took a while, so I had to move on. I am really having fun working with the 135 so I dunno??:confused:

Linda

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

Here is the latest update. We woke up this morning only to find alot of frosting on our cubes. My partner is currently in the process of melting the wax down to re-pour at lower temps to see if this will eliminate the frosting issue.

Is anyone else seeing issues with frosting? I am hoping that pouring at lower temp will fix the frosting problem.

Once we get the correct formula I will take pics and start our test burns. As for now we will start our re-pour at 130 and lower each cube by 5 degrees until we get down to 105.

Keep your fingers crossed.

- Autumn Meadow

Edited by AutumnMeadow

So after re-pouring, our tests have found that at 115 to 105 we are getting ZERO frosting with the new Excel wax in the 9oz cubes. My partner and I were very surprized to see absolutely no frosting with this soy wax.

As for wood wicks we love them. They burn great and give off a slight subtle crackle. You can find these wicks at http://www.unitywoodenwicks.com/ and I recommend buying the large 1st as that is what we use in most containers tho sometimes we use the mediums. Like all wicks it just comes down to testing. Great thing about wood wicks it you can just push them right in once the candle begins to cure, no tabs needed!

Now that we have gotten the 9oz where we want them we can begin test burns and move on to a different container to test. I will get pics up of the 9oz later today before we light them. :smiley2:

- Autumn Meadow

Edited by AutumnMeadow

How long have they been curing? I don't want to be negative, but the frost can rear it's ugly head In a week, a month whenever. What kind of liquid dye and what color? Keeping my fingers crossed. I am curious what happens with that pour temp.

Thanks for the link I have looked at that site before and wondered.

Linda

Yes of course. Right now, in the testing stages, we are mostly concerned with achieving no frost after the 24 and 48 hour period so we can start test burns. At this point the candles have cured a full 48 hours with no signs of frosting.

This was a 3 pound batch w/ 4.5oz of Creme Brulee scent and 12 drops of Yellow Liquid Dye (looks like vanilla pudding).

post-11970-139458465929_thumb.jpg

post-11970-139458465934_thumb.jpg

They look good so far, I would be interested about the pour temp and no frosting? Stella had a post on here that really explained the frosting and crystalization of soy wax, I just can't find it. Maybe I'll do a search. Good luck and keep the pictures and updates coming.:yay:

I am also testing Excel. I am noticing frosting after 24 hours. Everything looks perfect until the magic 24-hour mark and then the trouble begins.

If you re-melt a failed test candle and pour/test again will the results be consistent with melting "fresh" wax?

Straight from EcoSoya website.

"Yes, remelting and reusing EcoSoya® has no ill effects as long as normal melting directions are followed."

http://www.ngiwax.com/resources/qa.html?group=5

Can you elaborate on just how you are testing the EcoSoya XceL? I am sure those of us who are also testing can provide feedback to you if we had a little more information to go by. :thumbsup:

- Autumn Meadow

Edited by AutumnMeadow

If you re-melt a failed test candle and pour/test again will the results be consistent with melting "fresh" wax?
As far as the burn properties, sure, but not as relates to frosting.The reason is because of the polymorphic nature of soy wax. For more information about polymorphism in vegetable waxes, you can start by reading what NGI has to say about it on their site. Certain temperature ranges encourage/discourage the growth of certain crystal phases (or types of crystal formation). For testing frosting issues, you should always start with fresh wax.

You may find, however, if you remelt the wax to your desired pour point and repour it that the frosting will not occur. This is one method of "tempering" that some folks find successful in combating frosting. By doing this you can demonstrate how temperature and procedures make a difference in the outcome of frosting/no frosting. ;)

You did not mention the amount/type of FO you used, amount/type of dye, the temps at which you melted, added FO/dye, poured nor how you cooled the candle. ALL of these things factor in with reducing/eliminating frosting.

My best suggestion is for you to review your melting/pouring procedures. Follow the pouring procedures NGI recommends on their website for CBXL.

Straight from EcoSoya website.

"Yes, remelting and reusing EcoSoya® has no ill effects as long as normal melting directions are followed."

http://www.ngiwax.com/resources/qa.html?group=5

That is true for simply making candles and their burn properties. Y'all are not just "making candles" - you are TESTING a new wax. If you are having issues with frosting, your best practice is to start with fresh wax each time because melting/cooling WILL skew your data for the reasons mentioned above.

Good luck! :D

Edited by Stella1952

asands, so I see this is your 1st post here. Glad to have you join in. :yay::yay:If I were you I would start with a new batch. Obviously you have been reading this long ongoing thread and about the frost causing a problem. So be inventive and do something different than what you are doing now. We are all wondering about the frosting. It may never go away. That seems to be soy.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

How high are you heating to?

what is your pour temp?

As you can see we are all in this to make a great candle. Don't be bashful. In this thread you are among friends. Tell us what you are doing. Post a pic:drool: Tell us all the details.

Linda

Where is it 90°F? I wanna come visit right now! I'm sick of freezing! :)

Haha, well im in NJ and it is about 80 inside my home and 90 upstairs where we do our testing. It is cooler outside so I just opened up some windows to stop the candles and myself from sweating.

- Autumn Meadow

Edited by AutumnMeadow

OMG:laugh2::laugh2:autumn how's it going other than the sweat, dab it with a paper towel. Luv your jar I made one just like it with a wood wick. 135 they do make tabs for these and they work. When are you going to burn it? Glad your here.:yay:

post-11440-139458465952_thumb.jpg

Just lit her up and took a pic. We are now going to pour some more tests with a fresh batch of wax. We are going with Blue dye and Storm Watch scent. I will keep everyone updated on our progress.

Is anyone else still testing this wax? Come on lets get some feedback!

BTW - We are using a large size wood wick in this test burn.

post-11970-139458465957_thumb.jpg

Edited by AutumnMeadow

Looks good to me. Keep the picks coming. How is the HT. How long before full melt pool? Hope you're taking notes. That is a 4" corner to corner? Should let it burn for 4hrs? As you can see from my pic it burned great with the wood wick all the way to the bottom just didn't crackle like it should have. Big disappointment.:(

HI, I've tried making container candles using the new CB-XL soy wax but have had no end of problems. Tried pouring at 115 with glasses at room temp and as they have cooled, large circular cracks have appeared in the tops of all candles, also , they are full of frosted lines and wet spots against the glass. They look awful. Not tried burning them yet as I am so dissapointed. I was using the CB advanced but wanted a better heat throw and have been looking for a wax that adheres well to glass. Also used CB135 but it always left a rough top. Can anyone recommend how to make a good looking candle using soy? I am at my wits end! Thanks again

Hi Oakdalecandles, can I ask what temp youpoured your soy candles at? they look great! I am having so many problems with cracks, wet spots with the new CB-XL. Have been pouring in to non heated glass containers at around 115 temp and 100 temp. Maybe I need a higher pour temp? thanks