Recycling cans for containers

I was thinking about recycling aluminum cans to use as candle containers. I checked out a site of a forum member and saw a can as a container. I was wondering if anyone else does that. Does the can get too hot? Also, looking for mini condiment jars, like mustard jars. Saw someone post pictures using the wee little jars and thought the idea was super cute!

When thinking of recycling projects with candles, you have to think first of the safety and efficiency of the candle, then the benefits of recycling.

Veggie cans are made from steel; soft drink cans are made from aluminum. There's a big difference in the two metals and the thickness of the material. Aluminum transfers heat very readily and the thin material used in cans makes it unsuitable for candles. Both types of containers will become very hot toward the end of the candle. If set directly on a flammable surface (such as furniture), they could become a serious safety hazard. Now I KNOW people aren't SUPPOSED to do that, but in reality, they do. Glass is a better insulator, which keeps much of the heat INSIDE the container. HTH :)

Both types of containers will become very hot toward the end of the candle. If set directly on a flammable surface (such as furniture), they could become a serious safety hazard. Now I KNOW people aren't SUPPOSED to do that, but in reality, they do. Glass is a better insulator, which keeps much of the heat INSIDE the container. HTH :)

thats always been my concern... I make them for my patio, because I dont like to waste my precious glass containers on myself and my yard and they do get REALLY warm when there is 2" or less of wax in the bottom, particularly. Not so hot I couldnt pick it up, but hot enough to be uncomfortable.. And I have really desensitized hands so for someone with "thinner skin" as my grandpa used to say, it could come off as searing hot to them.

One can that I love, though… is a 32oz tomato can. I have been testing those for citronella candles. I twisted three CD85’s together in the middle of that bad boy and talk about an epic flame, but it did its job. tons of throw, some smoke. Better than the $18.00 "OFF" candle I bought.. Its of course not something I would EVER EVER sell, I’m breaking all kinds of candle laws with that bad boy, lol, but it will do nicely for camping and sitting outside this summer.

CD85’s

Ummmm... they don't make a CD85... But they DO make CDs in sizes up to 30... The trick is finding someone who carries them.

Be CAREFUL when wicking those big outdoor bad boys, though - ya don't wanna catch the whole candle on fire, even if it is at your place!! :shocked2: Nothing spoils a nice afternoon or evening like a visit from the fire department dragging hoses all over the yard. :undecided

Sorry ,had the word wrong. It was on sell for 20.00.0063335670908_215X215.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/cservice/writeReview.do

Connect & Share:

Ratings and ReviewsBe the first to review this product. or Share this Product: link-facebook.gif link-digg.gif link-delicious.gif

spacer.gif .PricingInfoMod,.ProductFlags{float:left;}$35.88

Crop-A-Dile Eyelet and Punch Kit

My Walmart had them for $10.00 on clearance the larger Big Bite one for $10.00 too.

Ummmm... they don't make a CD85... But they DO make CDs in sizes up to 30... The trick is finding someone who carries them.

Be CAREFUL when wicking those big outdoor bad boys, though - ya don't wanna catch the whole candle on fire, even if it is at your place!! :shocked2: Nothing spoils a nice afternoon or evening like a visit from the fire department dragging hoses all over the yard. :undecided

total typo, meant C-85's. Yeah we keep the hose nearby. We have the campfire going so we always have water nearby anyways