Opinion on Dyed Candles

I went to no color after my test groups. I get 10 women together, 3-4 times a year, and they test and rate my products (I also send out questionaires with some orders and send out emails to subscribers and so on...) After a year I calculated all my results, before making the decision to stop coloring altogether.

85% prefered an uncolored candle. The #1 reason they mentioned is because they want the candle to match their decor, and if its uncolored it always will just blend in. The minority (only like, 3 women) mentioned they like the "natural" feel an uncolored candle gives them.. like adding dye makes it less natural. I dont really care about that either way, but I get the decor thing. Say they have a very white room, and LOVE "love spell" but dont want a bright pink candle... makes sense to me.

The ones who prefered colored candles were also, statistically, the ones who said they purchase candles from large candle makers, like Yankee. They are used to, and want the color... without it, the candle doesnt feel "right" to them. But.. majority wins for me! And yes, it helps with frosting and so on...

I pour 8oz masons, with white labels.. my labels are very simply, very clean line and kinda "boutique" looking... I guess you could say colors not my thing to begin with.

Now pillars... those I think color is fantastic in, I dont make them but when I buy them I am looking for color!

I personally like colored candles. I have seen booths that offered white only candles and they all look alike and boring to me. Its just not for me. I have not seen any signs that people prefer one to the other.

People who buy candles are gonna buy them with or without color. I find people comment on the scent, size, and wax of the candle rather than the color.

I switched to dye free due to frosting issues with my soy. Not one of my customers even mentioned it. I still make pastel colored candles sometimes for a specialty type thing, just to mix it up. But for the most part, I'm dye free and it has been a big relief. I really like vibrant colors but that just does not work for soy.

Have you tried the reddig glo dye chips in your soy? Thats what I use for frost free candles. You get vibrant colors and not the frosting. They are the only dyes I use when I make soy candles. BTW I use the ones from CS.

I have only used liquid dyes. I order from CS all the time so I'm going to get some of those with my next order. I would love to be able to make some nicely colored candles without the dreaded frost.

When I switched from soy candles to glow palm the colors really show off the candles so I am sticking with color.

Re the reddig glo dye chips at CS. CS has 42 different color choices at a good price. For $1.99 you can get a small bag of 20 chips. Enough to color 20 lbs of wax or a sample bag of 5 pieces of each color for $29.99. I love their colors too.

Hi all,

Soooo, I used the reddi-glow chips last night. I got my sample bags of the Exel from Aztec. Love the color. Have pictures, but I'm not sure if I should open another thread or post it here It's about both the color and the wax. Please advise.

Linda

Hi all,

Soooo, I used the reddi-glow chips last night. I got my sample bags of the Exel from Aztec. Love the color. Have pictures, but I'm not sure if I should open another thread or post it here It's about both the color and the wax. Please advise.

Linda

Probably open another thread, Linda. But remember that frosting doesn't happen overnight so a perfectly nice looking candle can look not so great a few months from now.

I did a poll on this one time when I was making candles, and the majority like colored candles.. however I am seeing more and more dye free , but what I have found is people associate the color with the fragrance.. this can be a matter of opinion , but the colored candles do look better on shelves..

there really is pros and cons to each.. I suggest asking your clientele to see what their preference is and go from there..

definitely soy has a lot of issues with dye.. they just don't hold color .. so that is something to consider..

good luck

Diane Mumm