Where do you buy your wood wicks?

I'm searching for a good quality wood wick that will crackle well. I'm so bummed because I had a good quality wood wick candle and now they have decided to supposedly improve the wood wicks on the market but they just don't crackle like the old ones.

Can anyone help me with this?

Click this link to see how my old woodwicks burned. Turn up your volume, they were so nice. http://christinacandles.com/WoodWick_Candles.html

Any direction, help, is greatly appreciated!

That is a nice touch there on the site a candle you can hear crackling. I can see why you are disappointed.:( it looks like you are mixing palm and soy:confused: www.candlewic.com has them but I'm not impressed. So does www.candlesandsupplies.com I use the woodwicks too for my own personal use. You can do a search on google and take your chance, sorry i can't be of much help but please let me know what you find.

Linda

I've tried all of the above and IMO none are worth trying to sell to any type of customer. One is perfect the next won't light the next will light then not keep lit and none put out the aroma a cotton wick will.

pristina, Any luck on the wood wicks? I think (never tried them yet) www.wickswares.com she sent me some, if you go on the site call her she is very nice she might send a sample (ask for the measurements) she did for me cause I ordered those little crown jars from her, I think the wicks samples were free. She also has the cd's.

Sorry I didn't think of her before, but it's worth a shot. I thought the shipping was very resonable too.

Linda

The only stock of wooden wicks I've tested so far are from http://www.candlewic.com/ and I admit I wasn't thrilled with the crackle from them. Seems I might have gotten some bad batches of their smaller wicks, HOWEVER, I must explain that I am still in testing mode.

I've decided to order a bunch from http://www.unitywoodenwicks.com/ since they are the patent holder and actual manufacturer of the wicks. I searched for opinions on them here on the site but I couldn't find any. Once I receive them I'll can report back if I had better results.

Jonsie

Unity will mail direct to Australia. I have purchased some from them before. Their large size crackle really nicely in palm, but in soy they were a failure as far as keeping them alight and such. I felt that although they crackled in the palm the flame was far to vicious for my liking.

Unity will mail direct to Australia.
Ooooh, good to know.
I have purchased some from them before. Their large size crackle really nicely in palm, but in soy they were a failure as far as keeping them alight and such. I felt that although they crackled in the palm the flame was far to vicious for my liking.
Did the medium sized wicks just not crackle enough or just didn't burn hot enough?

As for Unity, did their wicks look any differently from wicks you've received from other suppliers? The ones I got from candlewic seemed kind of sloppy; the small, medium, and large sizes all had wide variations in width, and on many of them the two wood layers were glued together crookedly.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been wanting to add a wood wick as I have had alot of request for them. But, since I am totally a soy gal I just didn't know what to do.

I would love to test some, but just not sure what place is best to order the wood wicks from.

Anyone here do them in soy?

Soy327, I'll definitely report on how it goes with them. Unity Candle shipped them pretty quickly to my mother-in-law's address in the U.S. but now I'm waiting to receive them here is Australia. And I can't wait!

SheilaRae, I'm a newbie candle-attempter (I definitely wouldn't call myself a candle maker yet, hehe) and I am working with soy too (GW 464). My biggest issue with the wooden wicks is the problem with air pockets around the wick. Since these wooden wicks have more surface area than the corded wicks, the air bubbles glom more easily to them and create these frustrating pockets. And I'm guessing that is why so many of the hand-made wooden wick candles extinguish so often. All that to say my primary focus is to minimize these air pockets in the first pour (I'm way too lazy to fuss with them after that). If air pockets aren't a problem for you, then I definitely suggest to give the wooden wicks a try!

I've purchased my wicks from Unity Wooden Wicks. Actually, I've never had a problem with them in testing.. I've tried two sizes. The medium and the large.

I have posted a video of one of my prototype candles on facebook. You can check it out below. This one shown uses the medium wick 100% Soy (NGI's CBXcel) and sun-ripened raspberry from Candle Science at 10% fragrance. I've also tried it in a soy blend and they work just as well. I have noticed in candles with more dye or fragrance oil, the crackle is more intense.. As you can see in my prototype candle in the video, it doesn't have any color dye.

Note: the first time you lite it, you can hardly hear the crackle.. Always better the second time and so on.. I can hear the crackle throughout my living room which is about 15x15'..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mediterranean-Candle-Bougie-de-la-Mediterranee/361432698112?ref=nf#!/video/video.php?v=347119225953&ref=mf

http://www.unitywoodenwicks.com/index.html

I have also tested the wooden wicks from Lonestar Candle Supply. The wicks never went out and those were tested in 100% Soy CB Advanced in various fragrances from Candle Science.. I just couldn't hear the crackle as much as I do in the Unity Wicks..

I wish I could give you some advice but I still don't know what I'm doing!

I did get my Unity wicks in the mail from my MIL but I haven't done anything with them yet. I'm moving all my candle gear into the guest room so my kitchen doesn't look like a wreck. But I need to rearrange the guest room before I start pouring, lol. It's slowly coming together!