Understanding wicks is confusing me a bit..

So, Im using c-3, 44-32-18 cotton wicks with 8oz mason jars. They seem to burn nice and even but I understand that I could also test 55-32-18? I have searched this forum for two days looking for an answer. My first batch of candles has been curing for three days and I lit on today and it didnt smell.. I guess what Im asking is how the wick effects the HT and what Im looking for in a wick. There are many wick charts that say what wick with what container and diameter but I realize its more than that. Its confusing to me. Another thing that is boggling my mind is batch percentages and the left over wax... I have been searching threads non-stop to the point my contacts dried up in my eyes! I ordered sample wax from C&S, soy 416 and 444, will the wicks I have work with that type of wax? Please help or direct me to a thread. Thanks for the help I've received already.

So, Im using c-3, 44-32-18 cotton wicks with 8oz mason jars. They seem to burn nice and even but I understand that I could also test 55-32-18? I have searched this forum for two days looking for an answer. My first batch of candles has been curing for three days and I lit on today and it didnt smell.. I guess what Im asking is how the wick effects the HT and what Im looking for in a wick. There are many wick charts that say what wick with what container and diameter but I realize its more than that. Its confusing to me. Another thing that is boggling my mind is batch percentages and the left over wax... I have been searching threads non-stop to the point my contacts dried up in my eyes! I ordered sample wax from C&S, soy 416 and 444, will the wicks I have work with that type of wax? Please help or direct me to a thread. Thanks for the help I've received already.

Wick charts, especially when working with soy, should be used as a guideline since most charts are geared toward paraffin and what is recommended will usually be too small for soy. Wick choice is very personal and what one person likes and uses may not be what you like and use. You just have to keep testing until you find that right wick for your wax. I know its frustrating, but there really is no clear cut answer for what wick will work for you. Keep testing until you find it. Sometimes it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

As far as percentages and left over wax, do you have a scale you use to weigh out your ingredients? If not, you should really invest in one; its worth the money.

If you are going straight soy try a 51C or a HTP 83 in a jelly jar. See if they work any better for you.

Straight soy (and even most veggie wax blends) will need a little hotter wick than paraffin to get a good burn so always check to see if your wick suggestion chart is suggesting sizes for paraffin or soy. :)

Hi,

I'm testing C3 and I'm using CD and CDN wicks, I started with CDN 8 I really like the way these wicks burn, But some Heavy Fragances like Vanilla may have to wicked up to CDN 10,Sorry I cant help anymore than this,But I'm new to Making Soy.Some people get Coconut oil from Just by nature I bought mine at Walmart,LouAna pure cocnut oil next to the cooking oil.

Carryl

Edited by Carrylh