cracking with soy blends

We have solved our cracking problems by pouring our votives in cardboard boxes and covering with a cardboard lid. We warm the votive cups and the cardboard with the heat gun right before pouring. We also do the same thing with our 8 oz. tins. Hope we can stop this once it warms up....if it ever does!

Does anyone out there who uses a soy blend ever notice that particular scents seem to cause some cracking where others don't?

I use 60% soy to 40% paraffin.

Are you talking about container candles? If so, you should consider that mixing 60% soy container wax with 40% paraffin container blend does not produce the same thing as a commercial parasoy product. It would have some unpredictable properties that could easily cause it to do things that other candlemakers would not experience, such as the cracking. I think that could be the likely explanation for what you're seeing.

This is a fairly new problem. They didn't crack before and I can't think of what I'm doing differently to cause this. The only different thing I've used is a different UV additive. My old additive was YELLOW and grainy - the new additive is WHITE and powdery. I called the company about that and they told me they never had a yellow grainy UV inhibitor.

Also, I've noticed that the throw isn't quite as good. If I wasn't using UV stuff, what the heck did they send me the first time?

I use the box method as well. Yesterday I tried just covering them and poured hotter and I got a HUGE hole right down the center! Back to the box I went, and those turned out great. Now I wish I didn't try that little experiment....gotta do a repour on those babies!

Are you talking about container candles? If so, you should consider that mixing 60% soy container wax with 40% paraffin container blend does not produce the same thing as a commercial parasoy product. It would have some unpredictable properties that could easily cause it to do things that other candlemakers would not experience, such as the cracking. I think that could be the likely explanation for what you're seeing.

Bolding is mine. Question for Top -- how many commercial parasoy's are actually available? I know of IGI 6006, also some of the suppliers have what I would call "their own version" of parasoy. So my question is, Is there another parasoy wax like the 6006 that can be purchased at a number of different suppliers? I wouldn't want to test everything in "someone's" parasoy, and then have them discontinue it, (KY's for ex.)

I'm looking for a soy-based parasoy blend that can be purchased from more that one supplier, but haven't found it yet, so that's why I've made my own thus far. Perfect? nope.

For newbies, 6006 is mostly paraffin - about 75 -80%.