Universal testing chart

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a chart for all the different things you should test in a new candle. I searched the forums and wasn't able to find anything. So far, all I have written down to test for is:

- Length of time to burn

- Throw (Which also makes me bring up the question, how much should I smell of the candle's scent? Should it fill up my entire house, the entire room, or just part of the room?)

So far, those are the only things I can think of and I know that there are far more things I should be factoring into the overall quality of my candle. And the reason I post it in the vegetable wax candle making area is because I am unsure if there is any difference between paraffin waxes and soy waxes when it comes to testing. These are also for containers. Any suggestions to add would be great!

Welcome! There is no such chart. Different folks test for different things by different procedures. There's a lot of info, so pick what feels right to your application.

A few important things to add to your list re: size/type of wick; size (diameter)/style of container; what wax is being tested; what additives/amt; what FO & amount; weight of candle before and after each test session; ambient room temperature; height of flame; depth of melt pool; diameter of melt pool (until FMP is achieved); notes (flickering flame, dim flame, hangup on container, heat of container, etc.)...

I do test burns for 1 hour per inch of inside diameter of the container; allow the candle to completely cool, trim the wick and do it again & again until the candle is finished. Containers should be tested all the way to the bottom, so I suggest starting with small capacity, straight-sided containers until you get a feel for what you are doing. Once I get my wicking dialed in, I do a "power burn" to be sure the container will not heat up too much if a fool lights it and lets it burn continuously without trimming the wick or extinguishing. :)

My best suggestion is to read, read, read and many of your questions will be answered (and many more will come to mind!). :)

Edited by Stella1952