Here are the first Palm Pillars

smart

I thought the same thing. When you take your pillar out of the mold the bottom becomes the top. Also looks like you could have done a small repour to level the candle while it was still in the mold.

Other than that they are rather nice looking. Good luck with your testing.

Looks like you may be using "found" molds, which is why sometimes one wicks candles upside down from the way one would do it if using a seamless metal candle mold. I made a lot of those when I first started pouring palm! I have an oval kleenex box similar to your candle on the left that I've been waiting to pour! :)

it is like opening a present not knowing
I agree 100%!! It's fun and exciting! :yay::yay::yay: Edited by Stella1952

yes you are so right I have a lot more learning to do. Here is another pic I think that I am really enjoying the palm it is like opening a present not knowing.

I love the colors of these ones too. Nice job. :)

I think the mold thing can be confusing. I have several layered candles I've poured where I screwed up because I don't have the colored layers in the order I wanted them because I forgot the bottom of the mold was the top of the candle. :o

ya I do have them all mixed up. Stella I am using a metal mold with a hole on the bottom and I have that tack stuff what I did was so wrong I was using the wicks with the tab already on them and putting them in (lazy) and of course new to the pillar so that would be why they are upside down lol are you using by the yard wick and them cutting them I am so comfused well here is the candle burning is this the way that it should burn with a shell or did I do something wrong again I heard that it burns all the wax Am I wrong?:confused:

And thank you for all the nice comments and all the guidance as I really need all the help lol

post-11559-139458463392_thumb.jpg

post-11559-139458463402_thumb.jpg

Edited by smart

Okay that did not last long Look what happened What went wrong? do I need to downsize my wick?:angry2:

Also do I still use the same amount of fo in palm?

where is RichardOz and Desertrose when needed lol

post-11559-139458463405_thumb.jpg

post-11559-139458463409_thumb.jpg

Edited by smart

You have experienced a blowout. Your wick was too large, the melt pool drained and made a mess. Aren't you GLAD you had it in a bowl?!!! You will need to wick down at least one size, maybe two. Your wick looked way too long in the first set of photos. Trim to no more than 1/4" for palm pillars.

I use the same amount of FO in my palm pillars as I do in soy or containers: 1 oz./pp. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

Jo you are so right I dont think that you can find better information in any book or video then from right her on this forum. I am now burning my mint colour pillar amd so far so good it has been burning for 2 hrs and no blow out yet. thanks for your comments they mean alot .

Smart:yay:

should the shell stay or should it burn all the wax

That depends on what you want... I wick mine to leave a nice shell that people can re-illuminate with an electric tea light (real ones are too hot) to continue their enjoyment after the candle is burned out. Other folks wick theirs to self-consume. This is pretty difficult with palm, but not at all impossible... HTH :)

it has been burning for 2 hrs and no blow out yet

Hope it burns perfectly for ya! :D

Hey Smart

Nice attempt for your first pillars. They do take some getting used to, especially the wicking part.

As Stella suggested some people wick to leave a shell and some wick to self consume. Tracy and I have generally been in the second category, so our pillars if burned correctly will begin to leave a shell and then as the pillar burns, the shell will get thinner and thinner and follow the candle down to the end.

I have been playing with wicking to leave a shell also, just have not decided which I like best yet. For me it really depends on the colour of the initial candle, for example a nice dark cobalt blue will glow a purple kind of colour when burning which the light shinging through, so that would look great leaving a shell.

Our hippy pillars we would most likely wick to self consume.

Keep puching on with it. It does get frustrating I know, and just when you think you have it....LOL, something else comes along, but such is the craft of candle making. Probably why I no longer have any hair, what with wicking and 4 kids.....LOL.

Good luck and keep up the good work :)

Thanks Richard I have burned another and so far we are safe I like the HT it seems good. I like you not sure on the shell but I do like the way this one is burning I still have lots of testing to do these are not that easy but alot of fun. How many hours till I get as talented as yourself and Tracy lol:yay:

post-11559-13945846343_thumb.jpg

post-11559-139458463434_thumb.jpg

post-11559-139458463437_thumb.jpg

Hi, Smart! You will love working with palm wax. The pillars are like opening a Christmas present, each one can look different when it comes out of the mold.

Stella, Richard and Desert Rose are all very experienced with palm wax. They will be a great help to you.

What I have learned with the palm is how different it burns (thanks Stella!) from other waxes. I made one that I thought was seriously tunneling, but Stella taught me patience. You have got to burn it all the way down. Clearly, if you have a blow-out, you will need to wick down, but in my case the wick I was using turned out to be the right wick size even tho it appeared to be tunneling.

I like to burn mine where whatever candle I have left, I can break it into little pieces and use it in my tart burner. This way you get to use every bit of the candle.

Good luck to you!

Deb

Any good links for how to make a palm candle like that? I have no idea how those striations in the candle are even possible.

If you search the Veggie wax forum, you will find lots of information on making palm wax candles - both pillars and containers. I am not sure what you mean by "striations" :confused: Are you referring to the crystal appearance of the wax or the color layers? Whichever it is, palm wax can achieve many interesting forms and designs because it crystallizes, depending on the temp at which it's poured and the formula of the wax (feathering, granite, starburst, tortoise shell, etc.).

The pillars are like opening a Christmas present, each one can look different when it comes out of the mold.

You hit the nail on the head, Debbie! I NEVER get tired of looking at palm wax candles. Each one is unique! :D