mixing palm waxes

Have any of you ever mixed palm pillar waxes to see what you'll get? We save our scraps from all our pours and have made a few candles with them just for S&G. We've gotten some really cool looking candle textures with all the feather, starburst and tortoise shell waxes mixed together. Because its a conglomeration of colors mixing together, we haven't been able to add color or keep the color lighter to better see any crystal patterns that might have formed in the wax though. Anyone ever done this with "fresh" wax and if so, how did it turn out?

Have any of you ever mixed palm pillar waxes to see what you'll get? We save our scraps from all our pours and have made a few candles with them just for S&G. We've gotten some really cool looking candle textures with all the feather, starburst and tortoise shell waxes mixed together. Because its a conglomeration of colors mixing together, we haven't been able to add color or keep the color lighter to better see any crystal patterns that might have formed in the wax though. Anyone ever done this with "fresh" wax and if so, how did it turn out?

Cybersix does this. Check out her beautiful palm mix pillars:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88767

Hi, yes I do, I just have two types of palm waxes but you can use even more toghether.

Doing so I also had the advantage of being able to take out feather pillars from molds, usually if I don't add a bit of stearic they won't come out.

You can try experimenting, what you'll have in the end is a fully functional candle. To my understanding all palm waxes behave the same way.

Happy pouring!

That's wonderful to know and your candles are beautiful. I can't believe I never saw them before. Very nice.

While I find that palm wax makes a beautiful candle, I'm getting a bit bored with the starburst and feather and was wondering what they looked like mixed. I've tried to make a more rustic candle with these 2 waxes but did not like what I got compared to what we got with the tortoise. I love the tortoise shell but I can only find CS that sells it and shipping is a killer - not to mention the price of the wax!

I do this, too. I have also mixed palm wax with varying amounts of soy for different effects. When I get tired of the same ol' starburst look, I start playing with colors and layers and stuff. Depending on what temp the wax is poured, palm wax can radically change appearance, so don't forget about that as a way of obtaining a different look when you get tired of those beautiful big crystal patterns. :)

I mix the starburst and the feather together and I really like how they look. I usually mix them half and half, but you can mix them in different amounts to get different looks. I really do like working with palm wax, you can do so many different things with it!

I found the tortoise is kinda harder and more brittle than the other two, I had a lot of cracks around the wick when the candle cooled down after a burn. But the look is intriguing!

We haven't found that it cracks around the wick but we have gotten some cracking around the outside if we allow the wax to cool real fast. We've also gotten some pretty rustic looks allow it to cool w/out any insulation so those cracks did not really bother me since they went with the look of the candle. I do find that this wax is a bit more fickle when it comes to achieving the pattern of the wax. For instance, we're really good at getting the look from the feather and the starburst but getting the tortoise shell look is harder. Overall, I like the tortoise shell better that the other 2 so far. I think I'm a glutton for punishment. lol

Edited by Meridith

I LOVE that tortoise shell look! I don't care much for feathering, but starburst ad tortoise shell are my bigtime faves.

I'd love to see some of yours mixed with soy.
The pillars I have done this with are long gone - made one once that looked kinda like snakeskin. Wish I could remember what I did 'cause it was a mondo kool look... :undecided

When I blend palm & soy these days, it's an indication that I'm making hurricanes. Too much palm is too brittle and cracks ensue; too much soy and the shell is too soft and melty, but blend the two and sometimes ya get lucky! :yay:

Edited by Stella1952

could you mix palm container wax and soy container wax??? I know I would probably lose the starburst but I wonder how it would throw since palm throws amazing. If you were to do this what would you use as the ratios? ie 70 % palm 30% soy etc...

Also what temp would you heat to and pour this mix??

Thanks

Edited by felixncharlie

Well... I have never mixed container waxes, but I don't think there'd be much of an explosion if one did... :D

Option #1 - If I wanted to try and keep some crystals, I'd only use a little container soy to begin with - maybe 10-20% - and since the mix would be mostly palm, I'd pretend there wasn't any soy in it and pour at the normal temps for palm.

Option #2 - If I wanted a harder soy container blend, I would reverse the above, using 10-20% of palm and pouring at the best temp for the soy.

I think option #1 would be the more interesting of the two because of the crystal possibilities... pray for snakeskin! :tongue2:

Give it a try and report back with photos!! :yay:

Has anyone tried mixing pillar and container palm to change the look of their palm container candles?

I like the look of the crystal and feather palm pillars that Sabrina made. I wonder if something similar could be done using a container palm like glass glow and mixing it with feather palm? Anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried mixing pillar and container palm to change the look of their palm container candles?

I like the look of the crystal and feather palm pillars that Sabrina made. I wonder if something similar could be done using a container palm like glass glow and mixing it with feather palm? Anyone tried this?

I believe Jakalex made a pillar candle using feather and glass glow. I'm too lazy to go find it, but there was a picture of it in the gallery. It was very pretty, but I don't think she ever posted on how it burned. :sad2:

I really goofed that one up! It was starburst and glass glow and she did use a csn 12 wick. These are what I use in my pillar candles and really like how they burn. I wish she had kept us posted on how it burned all the way down. I just might give it a try, it sure was pretty.

Thank you Richard for finding it! :yay: