Candlemaker

LynnS

I was checking on a site.Just so happened a candlemaker was saying her candles are the strongest and she uses more scent than others to make them stronger. Most of us use just the 1 ounce.Some use just 1 ounce except for a few scents that may need a little more FO. Recently there was a thread about this. Just about all of us used the 1 ounce per pound. What is recommended.When I see these websites, advertisements I just want to say something but I keep quiet. I could have posted on this but didn't. Just say my candles are highly fragrant and I use the recommended amount of FO. My candles are very very strong. The more FO is a sales pitch to get people to buy.

Usually I don't carry a scent if I have to add more FO and some of you feel the same way. But some add extra just for a few scents.

I am not being bad in thinking this way.We all say our candles are strong, clean burning but to say we use more FO than needed to make our candles the strongest??? See those who don't make candles will not know the difference.

Besides when you get into adding extra scent you have drowning problems. I brought soy candles like that before. That is why I started making my own. I had no idea what the problem was.

Sorry for the rant. Just saying our candles are strong or highly scented is fine but some say they add more scent to make theirs better and stronger.:sad2:

My friend once told me to add 1.5 ounces of FO.She said the only way you would sell. I found out you don't use that amount. Now she loves my candles.

I've spent many yrs trying to accurately explain the logic of 'less is more' ... & I wish I had a dime for every blank stare or condescending smile I've received! Here's the closest thing I've come to an 'ah-ha moment' ... after a short explanation about fragrance load <insert blank stare here>, I ask if they like salt. Yes, salt is good! We agree that salt is an amazing flavor boost. What would McDonald's fries be without that perfect blend of salt? <insert warm-fuzzy smile here> I then tell them that fragrance is like salt ... the recipe has already been perfected, but what would those fries taste like if someone decided to double the salt! Everything has a limit, & once you exceed the limit, you ruin it. So, either a candle has been ruined by someone who tries to exceed one part of the recipe ... or they're lying about the ingredients. You can't double (or triple - LOL) one part without upsetting the final result. If they still don't get it ... suggest they call their Insurance Agent to discuss doubling their fire coverage, cause more is better!

Susan.

I call that the "if a little's good, more is better" mindset. A lot of people rush into candlemaking and really don't THINK or learn about what they are doing. Even if they can get a candle to burn properly with a high FO load (which I've not seen very often), what are they putting into the air they are breathing?!! I have to duct tape my mouth when someone goes on and on about all the environmental wonderfulness of soy wax (and don't forget how much it benefits the American farmer!) then tell me they use a buttload of FO in their triple-scented, all-natural, pure soy candle! PUHLEEZE!! :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

I refuse to discuss it with customers and I'm not going to fight with other candlemakers about it either. I use what I use in my candles according to what I think is sufficient and best practice. If my candles just don't get someone's motor runnin', they are welcome to buy candles elsewhere. That way, I'm happy and they are happy. :)

I used to have people ask me if mine were "triple Scented". I wondered About that, what was triple scented?! Then I realized that ALOT of people /companies use .5 oz oil pp..so If I use 1.5 oz of oil with some of my scents, I guess that would be "triple Scented" Huh? lol Customers dont realize thats the norm, as some candle makers act like half the candle is Oil.

Makes me want to tell people "I can make a candle strong enough with my recommended rate, as they can with there half a bottle of FO".:rolleyes2

I see lots of candlemakers claim this and that.. makes me want to call them, or start saying something more about myths and hype on my pages, but I refuse to go down to their level.

I found on my competitor site: "we use stearine, so the light of our candles is more dense than other's".:confused:

I have had that question before too. I go at it from the other end. I take it from the safety stand point. When they ask about how much scent I use I tell them that I use a high quality wax and the most FO that my wax is formulated to SAFELY hold, unless it is a super strong FO then I will back down a little bit so it doesn't blow customers out of the room. I usually take that opportunity to discuss how if there is too much FO in a candle then it can cause issues with the way it burns and can be unsafe and mention wick trimming, etc while I have their attention. I take every chance I have to educate customers because MOST are completely clueless on how to correctly burn a candle.

I'm so over reading "hype" on other candle websites just to sell candles. The best one I have come across to date is...Pure Integrity Candles...did you know they have a 7 step pouring process and use Intelliscent fragrances which allows their candles to absorb more scent they any other on the market? If I read one more thing about the miracles of soy and triple scenting and blah blah blah..lol..:lipsrseal

I refuse to stoop to that level and if I lose sales because of it then oh well! All we can do as responsible candle makers is make the best candle possible and let it speak for its self. :smiley2:

I refuse to stoop to that level and if I lose sales because of it then oh well! All we can do as responsible candle makers is make the best candle possible and let it speak for its self. :smiley2:

I totally agree!

And I just got the second order from a new customer, she bought 5 tins past week and now she's there for more. That's what makes me happy, quality speaks for itself!

Edited by cybersix

I'm so over reading "hype" on other candle websites just to sell candles. The best one I have come across to date is...Pure Integrity Candles...did you know they have a 7 step pouring process and use Intelliscent fragrances which allows their candles to absorb more scent they any other on the market? If I read one more thing about the miracles of soy and triple scenting and blah blah blah..lol..:lipsrseal

I feel the same way. The longer you have been making candles the more hype you will read about. I just let it roll off my shoulder.

I focus on whats important-- making a great product for myself and my customers.

Pure Integrity Candles...did you know they have a 7 step pouring process and use Intelliscent fragrances which allows their candles to absorb more scent they any other on the market?
They must be using wax with Molecular Blueprinting and botanical oils! From American farmers...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I TRY my best to not even look anymore. Everyone's trying to out-hype the next person. The more I read that stuff, the more I have this compulsion to just put up a site with some basic photos ("This is what the candles look like"), a list of scents, sizes & colors and prices and be done with it. Not even say a dang WORD about soy, palm, anything! One warning page that says, "If you have no common sense, please don't buy my candles. If you light a candle and manage to set your collie, cat and parrot on fire, which burns your house down, please do not email ME about it. Please submit your email to the Darwin Awards - you might be a winner."

OK. Enough of my crusty ol' snide remarks. I'll be nice. Did you know duct tape comes in PINK? I do so prefer that the duct tape over my mouth is color-coordinated with my clothing ensemble and accessories... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

LOL Stella, I almost spit my coffee on the keyboard!!!!

The problem is that is telling BS and inventing "creative" concepts is easier than making a good, honest product and being honest with customers and ourselves.

I work with three different types of waxes, but as long as I make a good product with each one of them I keep my thoughts for me, and I don't have to give a reason to my customers to choose one over another; and so people visiting my site don't know how much scent I use.

It could be a lot easier doing some hype, but it's not just honest.

Good work everyone! And put down that bottle of FO, you used well enough!!

I have had that question before too. I go at it from the other end. I take it from the safety stand point. When they ask about how much scent I use I tell them that I use a high quality wax and the most FO that my wax is formulated to SAFELY hold, unless it is a super strong FO then I will back down a little bit so it doesn't blow customers out of the room. I usually take that opportunity to discuss how if there is too much FO in a candle then it can cause issues with the way it burns and can be unsafe and mention wick trimming, etc while I have their attention. I take every chance I have to educate customers because MOST are completely clueless on how to correctly burn a candle.

I have gone that route also when explaining about how I scent the candles. I generally use 1.2 -1.5 oz / pp. Some scents, like lavendar, I use even less, its sooooo strong and clean cotton is REALLY strong too.

Isn't it funny how people who know NOTHING about making a candle want to quiz us about how much fo we use, or some other part of the process. Like I would walk into a bakery & demand to know how much sugar they put in a cupcake ... & then go off about how Little Debbie uses more! They really only want to hear whatever 'right' answer the marketing gods told them is real, thank God they can hold all that info in their tiny little brains.

Susan.