will you check a weight

for me. I have been having trouble with my candles and tarts seeping oil for months. It has to be something I am doing or my environment. Since my sister uses all the same wax and FO that I do. I have tried adding everything I can think of and pouring at different temps. Now I'm wondering if it's my scale. So how much does 8 oz liquid water weigh on your scale? Mine says 8.4. If this is off maybe it's not off enough to make a difference. Can't think think of anything else I could weigh that would be exact.:confused:

Edited by Sharon in KY

It appears that 8 fluid oz of water would mathmatically convert to 8.345 oz in weight, so it sounds like you are close.

My source: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight2volume

Well that's good to know as far as my scale goes. But now back to what is causing my wax seeping oil no matter what.... Thanks for checking on that for me.:smiley2:

You may know this already but I'll mention this incase it helps someone else, and since I may not understand your problem yet...

8 fluid oz of water and 8 fluid ounces of oil (like FO) will have different weights on the scale. I tested this on my scale with weighing water, and then weighing the same amount of coconut oil. The CO will actually weigh less than water, so if I was attempting to measure out 8.4 oz of coconut oil on the scale, I might end up with something like 9 fluid oz of CO.

Not sure if that might address your problem but figured it was worth mentioning.

If I'm weighing fo. I put my shot glass on the scale and hit the tare button. Now I pour until I reach the desired amount. The actual amount may exceed the markings on the shot glass by a small margin. If I put 8 ounces of anything on the scale, whether in solid or liquid form, it still is 8 ounces BUT it may displace more area when poured. Again, this is marginal not some whopping difference in amounts. I normally get down to the last drop out of the pour pot and have poured the amount needed in the container. If you are over loading your wax/fo per-centage or you aren't stirring your wax long enough; you probably have seepage. Shake your fo bottle and warm it up before using. If you are going by the marking on the measuring cup then sure its going to be different from actually weighing it. 8 oz of water is 8 oz of water. those markings on your measuring cup are just general guide lines. You know, your jar is a 12 oz jar but it won't hold 12 oz of wax? More like 8 or 9 oz, because the wax displaces more area in liquid form than in solid form.