amt of FO

tamtam

I am trying to figure out how much FO to add per lb of soap base. I have found percentages, but how about just in regular measuring spoon amts.... I use generally about 1 tsp Per lb of EO, is it about the same for FO?. Or anyone know how much in tsp amt is a ml, I could measure it that way. In other words, how many ml per lb.? Thanks, I will try to look back at past posts too.

I am not sure of the ml per lb thing.

I typically use 1 tsp per lb. I do have some FO's that I use a little more and some FO that I use a little less. I also have it with my clear base that majority of my FO's I have to use less than the 1 tsp per lb.

When I test a new FO, I typically start with 1 tsp per lb and than adjust from there.

Hope that helps and have fun.

Hi,

I made some m&p last night with some EO's from wsp, sleepy time, headache relief and honey & ginger. They smell so yummy. I used that farmhouse mold that is pretty big, it's like a 7.4 oz bar. I wanted to add alot of goodies but didn't know what to add so just did castor oil and glycerin. Any more ideas would be great. I want to order EO's now...it's so addicting!! Thanks for any input and help!

Hugs

Michele

I know the farmhouse mold you are talking about. I almost bought one a while back but the supplier was always out of stock.

As far as additives go the castor oil and glycerin are great ones to add to M&P. For more ideas on additives do a search for M&P additives. I remember a whole thread on this we did a while back. If I find it I will post it.

Also-- go to the archives and do a search on M&P recipes. There is a fabulous thread with pages and pages of all kinds of soaps made using M&P.

Hi,

I have tried to do searches for recipes for different m&p's but I only really found one thread. It was one that said what kinds of additives people add to there soap. I really liked it but I wish everyone would tell about how much they add. That was really the only recipe one I could find. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing...any help would be great!!

Hugs

Michele

i

The amount of additive or combination of additives will depend on your M&P base. You will probably get as many answers to this question as there are soap makers.

But I will give you some starter amounts that are good enough to get you going.

As a general rule you should be able to add about 2 tbs (1 oz) of additives to 1 lb/16 oz of your base. That rule is not written in stone its simply a generalized formula to use as a guideline. Each base is different and a white base from one company will not necessarily be the same as the next. Some bases are more accepting of additives while others lose their lathering ability with just small amounts of butters and oils added to them.

I am going to use tsp and tbs amounts to keep it simple.

1 tsp = 5 grams

3 tsp = 1 tbs or 1/2 oz

1 tbs = 1/2 oz

2 tbs = 1 oz or 28 grams

16 oz = 1 lb

For butters and oils use from 1 tsp to 3 tsp/1 tbs per lb of base. If you are combining butters and oils, eg.; coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, use 1/2 to 1 tsp each per lb of base.

For milk based additives such as goats milk, coconut milk, buttermilk, yogurt, etc. use about 1 tbs per lb. Some use more but I like to use no more than 1 tbs per lb.

For ground oatmeal, honey, clay, ground pumice, use up to 1 tbs per lb.

Here is my recipe for my oatmeal, milk, and honey soap. I use a 2 lb mold (32 oz) so you can make adjustments for your mold:

28 oz white M&P base

1 tbs ground oatmeal (used as an exfolient; also soothes dry itchy skin)

2 tbs honey (natural skin softener; loaded with nutrients)

1 tbs goats milk (loaded with nutrients; adds a creamy texture)

1 tsp coconut oil (for moisturizing; hardens bar)

1 tsp castor oil (creamy texture and lather; super emollient)

1 tsp olive oil (moisturizing; emollient; hardens bar; vitamin E)

1 tsp shea butter (moisturizing; emollient; soothes sunburn aids healing)

1 tsp glycerin (retains moisture; lends lather)

1 tsp palm stearic (optional); (hardens bar)

2 tbs Honey Patchouli FO (Elements/Flickers)

2-3 drops liquid color (optional)

I melt my base then start adding any solid butters first such as the coconut oil. Then I finish adding the butters, oils, glycerin and stir well. Once those are incorporated I add the palm stearic, gm, honey, and oatmeal and stir those into my base. I finish with the FO and color. You don't have to add these in this order. Some like to add their butters and oils in while the base is in the meltor. I prefer to add them after I have melted the base down.

Hmm... this is a more complex recipe to start off with. You certainly don't need to use all these additives to make a great bar of soap. But my point was to give you an idea of the range and description of additives you can use in your soap making. HTH

Edited by Candybee

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thank you so much Candybee...if I could find a bunch of recipes like those, that would be so awesome, it's exactly what I'm looking for...I'm kinda a little nervous so having a recipe like that would make me feel alot better, thanks for sharing and if you have any others that would be really nice, or if you could point me in a direction to find something like that, I sure would appreciate it.

Hugs

Michele

Hmm.. you're right re dry ingredients and some solids as far as weight is concerned. For powdered or dry ingredients I myself use measuring spoons and don't go by weight unless it is a solid like shea butter. M&P soapmaking is not an exact science and you can measure additives by using weight or measuring spoons.

What you do have to figure out by testing your base is what it will or will not except in the way of additives and create your own recipe that works for you.

Edited by Candybee

Me too. I measure by weight when its necessary like when I am making candles I always weigh out all my ingredients. My scale weighs in pounds, ounces, and grams and I use them all.

But when it comes to M&P I find that using measuring spoons works perfect for me for many of my additives. I still weigh the base in lbs along some other ingredients.