Massage candles...

Any of you make them? I've made/used them for a long time on my DH and I (I went to school for massage therapy but havent renewed my license) and I'm thinking about starting to offer them to some of my massage therapist friends and including them in the freebie baskets I give to my old school for graduating students (generates alot of business!).

Any hints, tips, feedback on them?

The ones I make for myself are

50% Soy wax

40% butters

10% oils

I made one for grins with 10% Hemp oil it came out good got the idea from a lady in a nearby town. She opened her rental house as a candle shop, boy you couldn't keep me away from nosing around in there. They were, I thought, way overpriced, craters in the cooled wax, huge mushrooms. But she put a small spoon in the box, which I thought was a clever idea. A 8 or 9 oz tumbler w/spoon in a box for $20.00. I thought it was pricey for the appearance and the shroom.:confused:

Linda

I use about 20-30% oil or butters, and 70-80% soy wax and I put in 2-3% of a body safe FO. Your not supposed to use as much as FO as you would in a container candle for the body. I actually took a class on these and candlesandsupplies and I love making and using them. I also over wick so you get a large melt pool quicker. Hence why they mushroom if your not using the right wick. The ECOs don't mushroom as much on me.

Wow Linda, yeah thats alot... but then again with the amount of butters and oils in mine I would have to charge more than a typical tin. Not 20 though, lol.

sounds like I might be using too much oils and butters- or at least more than I need to. Its barely even wants to set up. I will try less, it will let me charge less thats for sure. I get some mushrooming but I dont burn them very long, only takes 10-15 min to get a total melt pool because its so high in oils and butters its a very low melt point. More testing to be done!!

I'm not a big fan of this product for safety reasons, but if y'all have the product liability insurance to back ya, that's all you need - and for personal use, you don't need anything.

Having said that, why wouldn't it be better to market them for electric warmers (like tarts) and eliminate the flame altogether? :confused:

I'm not a big fan of this product for safety reasons, but if y'all have the product liability insurance to back ya, that's all you need - and for personal use, you don't need anything.

Having said that, why wouldn't it be better to market them for electric warmers (like tarts) and eliminate the flame altogether? :confused:

Thats an idea.... I almost wonder if the wax gets too hot in some electric warmers though. My tarts wax gets HOT, hot enough it hurts the skin if I happen to get a finger in it or drip it on myself when I pour it out... but I can pour the wax right out of my tin in my massage candles onto the most sensitive skin and its never hot enough to burn... and it only takes a few minutes to get enough melt pool to use.

I honestly can’t see any of my massage friends ever using them regularly on clients, because we have oil and lotion warmers anyways, but it’s a fun novelty thing for couples.

I just watched the Soap Queen's video on massage candles. I like how she stresses safety in making these with the proper ingredients and how to safely use them. She is changing my mind about massage candles. The recipe looks great for a good skin softening lotion. Nice!

Some people sell straight soy wax candles and say you can use the melted wax to rub into the skin. There are no butters or oils in the wax. Comments, please???

well, you can use just the soy wax... I have... but it just sits on the skin, doesnt really absorb in like the oils do. I had to basically wipe it off hubby's back once the massage was over. We didnt do it again, lol.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Some people sell straight soy wax candles and say you can use the melted wax to rub into the skin. There are no butters or oils in the wax. Comments, please???

'

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. You should be able to come up with some info thru a search. This is a very sensitive topic concerning safety issues.

I make soy candles but I don't sell them as a lotion or massage candles. Not all the ingredients are skin safe such as candle dyes and FOs. I especially would not buy any soy candle to use as a one. How would I know the additives the candlemaker used are skin safe?

Best way is to purchase one specifically made for the purpose of using on your skin. And if so-- the ingredients should be listed on the label just like any other skin care product.

The best one I've seen is made in a stainless gravy bowl. You would lite it for a short time put out and then pour. Had the ingredients just like a lotion. I had one of their reps call me to see if I could think of something to help use wax left. Seems the container allows for a lot of waste from the demo's they do.

'

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. You should be able to come up with some info thru a search. This is a very sensitive topic concerning safety issues.

I make soy candles but I don't sell them as a lotion or massage candles. Not all the ingredients are skin safe such as candle dyes and FOs. I especially would not buy any soy candle to use as a one. How would I know the additives the candlemaker used are skin safe?

Best way is to purchase one specifically made for the purpose of using on your skin. And if so-- the ingredients should be listed on the label just like any other skin care product.

Yeah thats an important thing for people to remember.. there are only a few soy waxes that are considered skin safe as far as I know, and not all "soy wax candles" are all soy wax... and it would have to be labeled as a cosmetic.

I dont use any FO's that arent skin safe, even in my candles.. because I dont see a point in buying Fo's I cant use in both my candles and bath products, but alot of candle scents are not skin safe. I wouldnt color a massage candle... then again I dont color my soy candles either! Lots to consider with these.

Did I already mention product liability insurance? If I chose to make these for sale, I'd wanna make sure I had GREAT coverage 'cause too many people are idiots who don't mind suing you because of their own stupidity!!

Yes absolutely.. I have 2mil in coverage but everyone should consider this before selling them.

Yeah thats an important thing for people to remember.. there are only a few soy waxes that are considered skin safe as far as I know, and not all "soy wax candles" are all soy wax... and it would have to be labeled as a cosmetic.

I dont use any FO's that arent skin safe, even in my candles.. because I dont see a point in buying Fo's I cant use in both my candles and bath products, but alot of candle scents are not skin safe. I wouldnt color a massage candle... then again I dont color my soy candles either! Lots to consider with these.

I used GB food grade soy wax. If it's safe enough to put in food it's safe enough for skin. I also try to stick to only skin safe FOs.