Yogurt in m&p soap

angel629c

So...I was reading the additive lists and saw that it is good to add yogurt to soaps. I know you can add powdered yogurt, but can you add regular, flavored yogurt to soaps? (Like the stuff you would eat?) If so, how long is the shelf life of these soaps once the yogurt is put in it? Thanks all!!! :thumbsup:

So...I was reading the additive lists and saw that it is good to add yogurt to soaps. I know you can add powdered yogurt, but can you add regular, flavored yogurt to soaps? (Like the stuff you would eat?) If so, how long is the shelf life of these soaps once the yogurt is put in it? Thanks all!!! :thumbsup:

I would think that would grow beasties... I could be wrong, but without a preservative, it sounds like a mold factory.

No. I would only add unflavored, unsweetened yogurt to soap since the sugars will feed all sorts of nasty little critters to soap. I'm not completely sure about adding it to M&P soap as I've only added it to CP soap. I'll do a little more research to see what I can find.

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought too, but when I searched the web, I just saw different posts about adding yogurt, so I wanted to check to see if I could do the flavored kind. It probably isn't a good idea. I bet the soap wouldn't last long. Do you know how long the soap will last if powdered yogurt is added? Would you dilute it first, or just add the powder directly in the soap and stir, stir, stir? I appreciate the feedback!!!

Why don't you go ahead and try adding the yogurt? If I listened to all the naysayers about what you could or could not put into M&P I wouldn't have tried all the ingredients that I have and successfully I might add.

I have used all kinds of fresh ingredients; lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut milk, goats milk, strawberries, honey, sugar-- just to see if I could. They all worked fine. I have never had anything 'grow' on my soap.

One thing you should keep in mind is that you can add up to a couple of tbs (1 oz per lb) of additives or combination of additives in your M&P before it compromises the base. You would be surprised what you can add to it including some 'fresh' ingredients.

Try adding 1 tbs of yogurt to your base. If you find it effects the lather then reduce the amount. For milk based ingredients I use 1 tbs per lb of M&P base. I have used fresh milks, powdered, and canned. If you do use a powder reconstitute it with distilled water and use 1 tbs per lb of the reconstituted milk.

Edited by Candybee