Question on insurance & pre-made bases

SusieQ

I received a response from RLI about insurance, and making sure that what I make would be covered. I wanted to sell 5 pre-made bases from Essential

Wholesale for a facial line. RLI response was you can't repackage it and put

your name on it, but you could add something to it and then it would be covered. I really don't want to add fragrance or color to these. But would just adding a drop of color or fragrance to 16 oz of base, be enough to say I

added something to it?

TIA

maybe... but you would still have to confirm with them

Adding some kaolin clay... some light fragrance or essential oil.... a bit of color... some vitamin e... theres lots you can do to slightly change the base but not alter it dramatically. i really dont know if simply adding a few drops of color would be enough. Have you consulted a lawyer? Best $200 I ever spent was sitting with a lawyer for two hours going over the fine print of FDA laws, insurance coverage, and liability insurance.

Thank you, I will try an call them tomorrow and ask, since this response was thru email. I have been looking on Etsy and Artfire and people on

there are selling the exact bases without anything add to it. If they are insured what insurance co. are they using? or maybe not insured!

Thank you, I will try an call them tomorrow and ask, since this response was thru email. I have been looking on Etsy and Artfire and people on

there are selling the exact bases without anything add to it. If they are insured what insurance co. are they using? or maybe not insured!

Either not insured, or not well educated about their insurance. I KNOW there are tons of Etsy sellers who not only are not insured, but don't test their products for preservative effectiveness. I wont name names, but some have even been featured sellers. Its a bummer for those of us who put the effort in.. but oh well, they will pay in the end.

I had RLI and they told me I couldn't use pre-made bases, either. I wasn't told I could add stuff to it though. Just NO bases. I might call them back and double check about that. I don't use many bases, but love the ones I do. :cheesy2:

You would be shocked at the number of sellers with not one cent of insurance coverage and bad production practices!