Sorry I'm just full of questions today :)

I have been using my leftover 464 was to make myself tarts and I have noticed that some of the tarts don't throw well mostly the FO's I got from JS. Some of them are throwing very nicely but more often as not I get nothing from them. My FO's from other companies do really well in tarts.

Typically I end up using the tarts (48 hrs or more after poured ) while the candles cure so I'm what I'm wondering is... if You cant get a throw in a tart is it even worth the effort to test burn that scent in a candle? I have a lot of FO's to go through and was wondering if it could be a time saver to make tarts first before pouring candles in the JS FO I have.

Container candles and tarts use different waxes, not to mention that one one you have a flame (or heat) underneath, while the other one is a direct flame.

So, in my opinion, I would say that just because you don't get a great throw from a tart doesn't necessarily mean that you won't in a candle.

Agreed, it can be because of the heat produced, drafts.. all kinds of variables with tarts versus containers. You should still test that scent in a container. Now.... I use GB464 for both tarts (when I have leftover wax in the presto) and containers, but with my containers I add coconut oil, and with my tarts I dont need to because I'm not really concerned with frosting, or smooth tops. I dont make tarts that often, they arent part of my "line" but I make them for myself and for family and friends with whatever is left in my presto pot at the end of a marathon pouring.

Some scents, like love spell... almost impossible to smell in the tarts, but throws like mad in my containers. I sometimes overscent my tarts, I use 6% FO PP in my containers, and wont work with a FO that wont produce enough throw using that amount.... but I'll use 10% sometimes in the tarts I make for myself. For customers I wouldnt use more than 8.

Edited by LuminousBoutique
ugh typos

I have a lot of FO's to go through and was wondering if it could be a time saver to make tarts first before pouring candles in the JS FO I have.
I guess you could do this to help sort, but it really isn't conclusive. The HT from tarts comes from warming the FO, while a candle not only warms the FO, it also burns it with the wax.

You said "leftover 464"... is this the same wax you use for your candles? Or is this the overpour from when you make candles? If it isn't the same wax, then testing the FOs in it would be even less conclusive.

Why not make votives with the FOs you are wanting to test? They aren't THAT much bigger than tarts and would give you a much more accurate tester for your candle wax than tarts. If you use container wax for your candles, you can make tester votives by pouring the container wax into glass votive containers, glass flowerpots or those nice little glass "oyster cups". HTH :)