Update on Test Candle

1. I first posted pictures on 1-31-10 of my first soy candle just C3 no FO CDN8 wick, It left a slight film on the jar. Nice melt pool through out.

2. Next I poured one with Peaks French Vanilla Amber 1oz per pound heated wax to 185 added FO stirred until temp reached 165 and poured into warm jars, Tops came out nice, Great CT I love this wax for the CT , the HT just wasnt their throughout the total burn time.CDN 8 in 8 oz jelly jar 2 1/4 inside opening.no mushrooming and no sooting, but the jar has wax clinging to the sides not a lot of wax but more than I would like.

3. Next I poured the same FO heated wax to 185 added FO poured at 165, but added Coconut oil to one and USA to one CDN 8 Wick Love Love Love the CT of this wax the hot throw is better,scented my bathroom nicely,12x14 but wish it would be a little stonger, I did notice the longer the candle cured the stronger the scent got.still no mushroom or soot but not a clean jar . So i just poured another one and trying a CD 10, cant get any CDN 10 they are out of stock,Will let cure for 1 week and post results.

Still trying to decide if I like the USA or coconut oil better Cant really tell a big difference with Scent throw ,maybe someone can chime in .

I have noticed one thing when these candles burn I get a lot of bubbles I do not like this look what is causing this?

Thanks for Listening

Carryl

Carryl, I use the USA 1TBSP pp and the CO 3tsp pp in 135. I think the USA helps with the overall look and the CO is suppose to help with the hot throw. I am letting my jars cure for a week or better, as Stella would say "keep yo mitts off em":yay::yay:OP here use the C3 and I've heard it is suppose to have great hot throw. I would try it myself but the shipping can kill us and I live 30 miles from Peak. I'm sure you will hear from other C3 users. Good Luck. Let us know how your next burn goes.

Linda

Soy do you use USA and Coconut oil together with your wax?

The Cold Throw with C3 is amazing,and I'm sure the Hot Throw is too,I just have to get the wick right.And yes the hard part is keeping our hands off of the candle,it so tempting to want to burn them,but proper cure time is important.

Thanks Carryl

yes I do. Always working on the hot throw myself.:rolleyes2 I live by Peak and get alot of their FO the lavender and Pink sugar are pretty strong, great smelling FO. How is that french vanilla amber I haven't tried that one yet.

Linda

Edited by soy327

I really like it , for a Vanilla scent it has a clean smell I kind of smell a hint of eucalyptus which I like, could be a Spa scent maybe...Well I may just try the USA and Coconut oil with C3.Thanks for the help.I LOve Peaks FO's they are so strong. I have there Lemon Grass and Sage I want to try next.

Thanks Carryl

I am using 1 TBSP pp usa For overall appearance and jar adhesion and 3 tsp pp CO for the HT. I really believe the candles have to cure for a week maybe more on most FO. I have problems with the HT, but I like the 135 and I get it without shipping. If Peak carried the C3 I would use it. I have heard it's CT and HT are really good.

Linda

French Vanilla Amber

This is one of my favorite FOs. It takes a longer cure time than other FOs but the wait is sooo worth it! When I first tested it, I let it cure about 4-5 days and was unimpressed. The scent was there, but it was very "pale." I only burned it once and set it aside as I was testing a bunch of others. A few weeks later, I was hunting around for something to burn. I TRY to keep my mitts off my stock unless I absolutely have NOTHING else to burn. So I spied the FVA and grabbed it. WOW!! I was SOOOO impressed!! I was delighted to have been wrong about it. I had had trouble with amber FOs in general because they all seemed too faint. I immediately retested the ones I had marked as *losers* and this time cured them for 7-10 days. SURPRISE SURPRISE!! I was wrong about all of them, too! It just seems that amber is a more delicate fragrance that takes longer to develop.

Great CT I love this wax for the CT , the HT just wasnt their throughout the total burn time.CDN 8 in 8 oz jelly jar 2 1/4 inside opening.no mushrooming and no sooting, but the jar has wax clinging to the sides not a lot of wax but more than I would like.

I think you're going to have to step up to a 10. I don't use that container, but when I tested it, a CDN 8 didn't cut the mustard. Besides my previous remarks about allowing a little longer cure time for FVA FO, the smaller wick will cause a diminished HT and more "spittyness" (is that a word?) because it just doesn't burn hot enough.

when these candles burn I get a lot of bubbles I do not like this look what is causing this?

See remarks above about the wick size and spittyness.

There have been some problems with a couple of batches of C3 that looked "soapy". If you purchased a case, please check the Lot number on the label with the ones posted in THIS THREAD to see if yours is from the same lot. Below are suspected bad batches:

L8K14

L9I24

L9I29

I hesitate to mention this because you are new to using C3 and it's easy to confuse *normal* problems with ones from a bad batch; however, if you bought a case and it is from one with the above Lot#s, please post about it in the thread (link above) about the soapy C3 and review the procedures others have used to obtain replacement material from Elevance or the supplier from whom you purchased it.

Still trying to decide if I like the USA or coconut oil better Cant really tell a big difference with Scent throw ,maybe someone can chime in
C3's hot & cold throw properties without using any additive is quite good. I have used USA in mine for the past several years. I use it to reduce frosting and improve the texture (and tops) of the wax. C3 already has an additive in it for this purpose, but I get better results using 1 Tablespoonful/pp of USA than without it. It seems to enhance HT somewhat, but that isn't my primary reason for using it. I have tried coconut oil, but have not found that it does quite as good a job on the issues I am trying to improve and I saw no noticeable difference in HT. I have been experimenting with another veggie oil as an additive and am encouraged with the results, but the best combination was when I used the oil and USA. Again, I do NOT use additives for scent enhancement with C3 because quite frankly, I don't think it needs it. I use additives to reduce frosting & texture issues. Many folks use no additives at all with C3 and are very satisfied with its performance. HTH :)

This is one of my favorite FOs. It takes a longer cure time than other FOs but the wait is sooo worth it!
Stella that is exactly what I'm going to do let it set for 7 to 10 days and I bummped up to CD10 cant wait to retest this scent.

There have been some problems with a couple of batches of C3 that looked "soapy". If you purchased a case, please check the Lot number on the label with the ones posted in THIS THREAD to see if yours is from the same lot. Below are suspected bad batches:

L8K14

L9I24

L9I29

Stella I only purchased 10 pounds to start with because I wasnt sure if I would like Soy so I was trying to keep my cost down encase I didnt like it, But so far I LOve this wax.I do not get bubbles in the pour pot like I have seen in the thread,Only when the candle is burning

I hesitate to mention this because you are new to using C3 and it's easy to confuse *normal* problems with ones from a bad batch; however, if you bought a case and it is from one with the above Lot#s, please post about it in the thread (link above) about the soapy C3 and review the procedures others have used to obtain replacement material from Elevance or the supplier from whom you purchased it.

I really do appericate all of your help, and your knowledge about Soy
C3's hot & cold throw properties without using any additive is quite good. I have used USA in mine for the past several years. I use it to reduce frosting and improve the texture (and tops) of the wax. C3 already has an additive in it for this purpose, but I get better results using 1 Tablespoonful/pp of USA than without it. It seems to enhance HT somewhat, but that isn't my primary reason for using it. I have tried coconut oil, but have not found that it does quite as good a job on the issues I am trying to improve and I saw no noticeable difference in HT. I have been experimenting with another veggie oil as an additive and am encouraged with the results, but the best combination was when I used the oil and USA. Again, I do NOT use additives for scent enhancement with C3 because quite frankly, I don't think it needs it. I use additives to reduce frosting & texture issues. Many folks use no additives at all with C3 and are very satisfied with its performance. HTH :)
I would like to increase to HT somewhat I think going up a wick size and letting it cure should solve the problem, I just dont like to have to wait so long to cure,with my paraffin blend I used to make I could get a really great HT within 24 to 48 hrs, But it took some time to come up with that blend and wicking, So with this in mind I know I wil have to try different things until I hit that sweet spot,LOL. Some one else said they add USA and Coconut oil to their wax I may try that or maybe another oil, I have time to play I will not rush this.I will make sure I get one FO wicked first before I move on.Again Thanks for all of your Help, Next I need a lesson on this tempering LOL Have a great day.

1. I first posted pictures on 1-31-10 of my first soy candle just C3 no FO CDN8 wick, It left a slight film on the jar. Nice melt pool through out.

2. Next I poured one with Peaks French Vanilla Amber 1oz per pound heated wax to 185 added FO stirred until temp reached 165 and poured into warm jars, Tops came out nice, Great CT I love this wax for the CT , the HT just wasnt their throughout the total burn time.CDN 8 in 8 oz jelly jar 2 1/4 inside opening.no mushrooming and no sooting, but the jar has wax clinging to the sides not a lot of wax but more than I would like.

3. Next I poured the same FO heated wax to 185 added FO poured at 165, but added Coconut oil to one and USA to one CDN 8 Wick Love Love Love the CT of this wax the hot throw is better,scented my bathroom nicely,12x14 but wish it would be a little stonger, I did notice the longer the candle cured the stronger the scent got.still no mushroom or soot but not a clean jar . So i just poured another one and trying a CD 10, cant get any CDN 10 they are out of stock,Will let cure for 1 week and post results.

Still trying to decide if I like the USA or coconut oil better Cant really tell a big difference with Scent throw ,maybe someone can chime in .

I have noticed one thing when these candles burn I get a lot of bubbles I do not like this look what is causing this?

Thanks for Listening

Carryl

Even in the non soapy C3 you can get bubbles. Wait till you heatgun the top of one and see all the bubbles coming up by the wick!! Even stirred slow and poured slow this wax often seems to have them.

Even in the non soapy C3 you can get bubbles. Wait till you heatgun the top of one and see all the bubbles coming up by the wick!!

I honestly cannot report much problem with air bubbles of any sort with C3. Elevance recommends heating the wax to 180°F to allow the air bubbles to escape. It also recommends to stir gently so as not to incorporate air into the wax while pouring. I have occasionally seen air bubbles rise when heatgunning, but since I made it a point to *tap* the containers several times after pouring to allow them to rise & burst, I just don't see many air bubbles.