My first body butters!

*Dee*

thanks! my sister is pretty happy.pink sugar is her favorite scent and she got a jar to test for me lol. its hard for me to tell how greasy it is lol. i rubbed shea butter onmy arms earlier and then when making the lotion i kept rubbing it on. so i have alot on right now. i need to take a shower and then put a little on then decide.

thanks everyone. well so far my sister says it is a little greeasy but the grasy feeling goes away after a little while. and one of her co workers really likes it and doesnt think it is too greasy.

is body butters usually more greasy than lotions ? i have never used body butters before just regular lotions so i am not sure. i wonder if i should add more cornstarch or some IPM to it to help. i think when my other butters come in i will cut the shea in half since i noticed it is really greasy and sub the other half with another butter. i have cocoa, kokum, and mango coming and also refined shea. this one i used unrefined not sure if there is a difference in the greasy feeling between refined and unrefined. any way which of those butters is less greasy ?

A cream should be thicker than a lotion, but not necessarily more greasy.

When you blended up your water phase and oil phase did you blend while pouring the oil into the water or water into the oil? The first method will create a water in oil emulsion and be greasier. The second will create an oil in water emulsion and should be much less greasy (of course depending on your recipe).

I did a lot of research on o/w and w/o emulsions awhile back and made the switch to pouring the water phase into the oils (while stick blending of course) ...amazing difference. I was able to eliminate cornstarch and other grease busters totally.

To me, body butters are more.... "intensive". Ah-soy is right, depending on your recipe, and what oils you choose to use, one recipe can have totally different feels with different oils and butters.

All shea butter in your recipe will produce an intensive body butter, because shea is a.... heavy butter. You can balance that heavy butter out by adding mango or kokum butter (not as greasy as shea or cocoa), or you can cut back on the butters add some light oils to your recipe.

But everyone is different. What one person says feels "greasy", might feel indulgent and awesome to another person. I like the indulgent creams. Mmmmmm! Have fun formulating! :yay: