Holy mold! Cupcake bombs and icing!

ah-soy

I've been testing bath bomb cupcakes for a month now and haven't a problem with mold and I just wanted to ask those of you who are having problems. Are you using distilled water using the same process you would for your emulsified products? Just curious because as I read the responses in this thread, no one has listed this as a step. I use the regular royal icing recipe with the boiled, cooled distilled water and I haven't seen any mold. HTH

Yeah I havent had problems with browning, or mold.. in any of my bath bomb cupcakes, but even my buttercream (which turns everything brown) I didnt get a single bit of browning. But I also dont use water in my recipe, so maybe that has something to do with it. I dont know for sure

I think I've pretty much eliminated mold as the problem...I made another batch with vanilla scented icing and cakes and tested them...it was not mold. They tested negative for mold/bact/fungi...nothing was growing.

The icing and cakes though turned brown where they touched each other. I iced some with royal icing (but did not boil the distilled water...hmmmm, should try that) and iced the others with FBB/beeswax recipe I've been working on. There is water in the FBB base...

I do use a touch of water in my cupcakes. The strange thing is that when I use the same recipe for bath bombs and heavy vanilla scents I get no browning at all - not after weeks or months. It's got to be something in the icing.

I have been using distilled water, but hadn't tried boiling it and letting it cool down. I'll perform a search for those instructions. Also, I purchased a few white chocolate bath bombs by Feeling Smitten from a local Spa and paid a whopping $11.00 for a large and $6.00 for a mini and just wanted to basically test theirs out, and when I popped the tops off, guess what I saw - brown on the complete bottom of the icing and on the top of the bomb, where they met....it looked sooo grossed! The piping was beautifully done but I was freaked at the sight. I'm at work and will post pics when I get home...My only thought was that maybe, they have a little bit of vanilla in their frangrance oil (which the smell was hard to pick up on) Becuase surely, with a company that big, they CAN'T possibly have a mold problem, right?? I did notice on the label that they use a preservative so it had to be the vanilla note

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It isn't mold. It's just dicoloration from something in the fragrance. I have used several of my own, and the discoloration goes down into the bomb but not up into the icing. There is no moisture, no bad smell, nothing to indicate that it's mold. Someone posted earlier in this thread that Anne Marie's frosting recipe only does six cupcakes. I had enough frosting to generously frost eighteen cupcakes!

When I package my cupcakes, I attach a tag, putting the ingredients on one side and an explanation of vanilla browning on the other. I have some vanilla color stabilizer coming this week, which I am going to add to my frosting. I think that making sure to pipe the frosting right to the edge of the cupcake would probably make it a little less noticeable. In any case, these things are hot sellers at sales because they are just so darn cute! Making the customer aware that this browning will occur has not slowed sales at all.

Somewhere on Youtube, I saw a video where a person was brushing vanilla soap frosting with gold mica because she knew it would brown. I wish I could see an after pic. I might have to try this myself to see how it looks as time goes by. It might be a really attractive option.