Does any whiten their Soy Wax?

Just wondering if anyone uses an additive to whiten their soy wax. I know there are a few things out there but would love feedback on any personal experiences with whitening. I don't dye my candles so I end up with a variety of white, off white, tan ect. It doesn't bother me that bad but I do think my candles would look nicer if they were at least all the same color white.

Would UV inhibitor work?:)

Thanks!

UV inhibitor won't alter the color of the wax or fragrance oil. It will only prevent color changes from sunlight or flourescent lights.

A few suppliers carry white "dyes" for candles, which actually contain pigment (probably titanium dioxide) rather than dye. Pigments are made of particles of solid material that get into the wick and can affect the burn if you use too much. They're generally intended for overdips and candles that aren't meant to be burned.

As a matter of principle, I only use pigment in soap, but some people whiten candles without trouble. You can get away with it up to a point.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

The UV stuff does help undyed soy wax candles to retain their slightly off-white color. Without it, they tend to yellow and generally look like old Crisco.

The wax I use (NatureWax C3) is pretty white. I have used white dye in them, but it really didn't brighten them up that much and I had trouble with the pigment clogging the wick.

Some FOs will slightly discolor the wax - one that comes quickly to mind is neroli, which is pretty orange. Another is patchouli which is pretty dark brown. Having said that, most do not add a significant enough amount of color to keep the wax from looking basically white - just shades. Personally, I think the shades that your FOs are causing would look rather nice. I have never thought the idea of all white candles of varying scents was appealing, but that's just my personal taste.

Is there a reason you do not add any color? :confused:

Hi Stella! I used to color my candles but could never get them to look really really good. I think I'm a little picky when it comes to the way they look so it would drive me nutz when the colors don't turn out right:rolleyes2. I tried dye blocks and liquid dyes. I just felt like the candle looked nasty after it burned and didn't like the fading, frosting, more noticeable wet spots. Plus it seemed like no matter what I did I could never get my colors to be really rich or really bright. They always seemed dull and blah.

I use gb464 and love the performance, however the wax is more cream colored than some of the other waxes I've used, so when I add FO it gets darker. I have tried c3 and just didn't like it as much. The appearance of the c3 was really nice but didn't have the cold and hot throw. Could just be me? I never tried any additives or anything so that could contribute.

Thanks for your input. I ordered some uv inhibitor to try.

The appearance of the c3 was really nice but didn't have the cold and hot throw

C3 has excellent cold & hot throw properties, so I have to think something was wrong with other aspects of your candle system. As I type this, a spent container with 1/2" in the bottom of mango-cilantro is scenting up my whole bedroom and it's not even lit!

I think I'm a little picky when it comes to the way they look

I understand 'cause I'm REAL picky about how my candles look! Because soy wax is opaque and white, and it frosts easily, it does not lend itself to brilliant colors. I don't try to make soy wax do what it isn't suitable for... When I want a brilliant, intense colored candle, I choose palm wax.

Because dyes (and FOs) exacerbate frosting, less is best. I have had very good luck with EVO and REACH liquid dyes (from JBN & CandleWic). The ones that smell like petroleum distillates don't work out well for me. Only one or two drops PP gives a nice pastel shade and minimizes the impact on frosting. The key is to keep the amount used way down! I don't think I have ever used the "recommended" (8-15 drops PP) amounts of the liquid dyes... Think pastel! :)

As previously pointed out, the UV inhibitor will prevent the color from changing due to UV exposure. It will not prevent color changing from frosting issues or staining by the FO. You can try the white pigments, but I don't think you will be happy with the results...HTH :)

Stella, Have you ever tried powder dies? I so far only feel comfortable using if I can heat the wax to about 190 because it is hard to dissolve. Sooo I think I am going to heat the FO a little in my pour pot and put some powder in it and hope it dissolves better.:confused:

It probably will work better with the palm. What is the highest temp you would think of heating your FO? Do you think this is an option for Soy wax? Sorry For the Question and answer session but it's opened the door for alot of people here to pick your brain.:yay:Hope you don't mind.

Linda

Stella, Have you ever tried powder dies? I so far only feel comfortable using if I can heat the wax to about 190 because it is hard to dissolve.

As you probably know, dye powder is the pure dye that other colorants are made from. It's hard to measure accurately, it floats around in the air and creates spots as it settles on any surface that's even slightly greasy (you'll end up breathing some too, unless you use a mask), and it's hard to disperse in the wax. Some colors don't disperse completely even at 190. The best approach when using dye powder is actually to filter it out before pouring.

Dissolving it in FO could be worth a try, but somehow I doubt that dye powder really offers you an advantage over extra-concentrated liquids, especially with soy. All in all, this stuff is best suited to big batches and maybe a more industrial setting.

When you use dye powder, you're avoiding the carrier liquid but you're still using the same amount of dye to get a given color.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Have you ever tried powder dies?

Nope, for all the reasons Top gave. Because the liquids are diluted and in suspension, they are easier to measure and control. Soy wax is hard enough to burn without loading it down with pigments... Now if I were mixing wax to pour 55 gallons of candles, I might consider powered dyes because at that point, I could weigh them accurately, but with a small home operation, I think powdered dyes would be more trouble than they are worth.

I do preheat my FOs but only to 130°F or so... I am not looking so much to mix the dye more thoroughly (although premixing the FO & dye does dissolve it a little better) as I am to make the temp of the FO/Dye closer to the temp of the wax when I add it so as not to "shock" the wax or bring down the temperature suddenly. This is to prevent frosting. HTH :)

Have you ever tried powder dies?

I use the powdered dyes with my melts and love them. I have measuring spoons with the pinch, dash, etc and when I make them, I do it 5 lbs at a time. A little goes a long way and I have never had problems with varying colors.

I add the dye to my FO and very rarely do I have a problem with it dispersing completely.

My wicked candles I leave without dye and I add the UV Inhibitor. I have never had any complaints about the extremely slight differences created by the FO and the UVI keeps the natural color of the wax from yellowing.

HTH

Edited by CandleMama6

When I dye my soy candles I found the best dye to be the reddiglo dye chips. I couldn't get a good color with liquid and they tended to frost like crazy with liquid dyes. But when I tried the dye chips I didn't get any frosting or wick clogging and the colors are amazing. Like jewels, brilliant and intense.

tended to frost like crazy with liquid dyes

What kind of soy wax and what kind of liquid dyes - this makes a difference.;) The Reddig-glo work okay for me in C3 but the EVO & REACH liquids do a very good job and are more concentrated. No problem with wick clogging except when I use white or more than 8 drops per pound. HTH :)

Candybee, I have had this sample pack of those reddi-glo dye chips for about 8 mo. then chickened out so guess what, I dug them out last night and used the lavender It so far looks good. I am praying that I don't get frosted LOL:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:Thanks for your post.

Linda

• 11 years later...

I have candle whitener  chips, they're actually powdered light blue. I have never tried it. I can't seem to find much info. about them tho. I like my candles to be as chem. Free as possible.  Anyone have input on this product

Edited by Ajf