Oh, great. Yet another wax to try.

I was using liquid from Peak and Candybee turned us on to reddi-glow chips. I tried them in the 135, I was sure I was not going to use color because of the frosting problem. I tried them Friday and the candle is frost free except a little on top (lavender), I had a whole sample bag here and never used them:laugh2::laugh2:Thanks again candybee for the tip. So I'm going to try a dark color next and see what happens. just a thought. Would also like to here more about the HT when you test burn another one. Thanks for your efforts.

Linda

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to ALL who are testing and posting their CBX results. Y'all ROCK!!:yay:

Welcome, Jim! Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that the *problem child* is the brown... that's always been a tough color for me to get without frosting.

Soychic, I can understand your disappointment. That's a wonderful, rich burgundy you made. I can understand why you were disappointed with the frosting, though. Can hardly wait for more HT results!

So many folks have been complimenting the Reddig-glo chips lately, I'm gonna give 'em another try in C3 to check again to see if they cause less frosting than the EVO & REACH liquid dyes I have been using... It sure would be nice to find dyes that I could lean on in C3 a little - I get tired of pastels.

So many folks have been complimenting the Reddig-glo chips lately, I'm gonna give 'em another try in C3 to check again to see if they cause less frosting than the EVO & REACH liquid dyes I have been using... It sure would be nice to find dyes that I could lean on in C3 a little - I get tired of pastels.

Wow, so different brands,colors and types of dyes can factor in on frosting issues....:confused: I knew about the colors, but not different brands and forms of dye.

What does EVO stand for?

Well, I have only used the french dye as stated previously and when I poured at a lower temp(125), I had no frosting issues in 7 different candles.

The colors used were coral(I mix my own colors),lime green,peach,pinkish-red,aqua,light brown and hot pink.

When I poured hotter before, I had frosting issues with the coral & aqua. I also had problems with the reds and when brown was added to another color like yellow previous pours.

But in the past, I also made dark brown candles and only had a problem with 1 out of 8 of the candles. I probably poured at a lower temp b/c it took me longer to get the right color that I was trying to achieve.

I never have a problem with my tops of my candles-no craters, holes,etc.

if I have mild frosting on the top, it doesn't bother me.

It REALLY bothers me when it is on the sides.:sad2:

I really think all I have to do is pour C3 at the lower temp(125) and all of my problems are solved.

I will let you all know how the Hot throw is after I burn them.

Janine

I was using liquid from Peak and Candybee turned us on to reddi-glow chips. I tried them in the 135, I was sure I was not going to use color because of the frosting problem. I tried them Friday and the candle is frost free except a little on top (lavender), I had a whole sample bag here and never used them:laugh2::laugh2:Thanks again candybee for the tip. So I'm going to try a dark color next and see what happens. just a thought. Would also like to here more about the HT when you test burn another one. Thanks for your efforts.

Linda

Glad you liked the reddiglo dye chips. I found them the best for coloring soy wax. Nice rich color without the frosting. Try the cinnamon dye chip sometime it will blow you away!

So far i've tried..... JS oils Cinnamon, vanilla, fudge brownie, Mulberry, apple pie, lilac, lavender and Creme brulee.

Tried EAC Leather, honey vanilla and wildberry.

Tried what i believe to be from bittercreek apples and oak

Tried Candlewic Guava, blueberry, cherry, White tea

Have not funa fragrance that does not work well. The cold throw is comparable to C3 and cbl125 paraffin.

The hot throw i think is a bit better ( after toying with wick sizes) Pouring at about 120 degrees with semi smooth tops, ( minor heatgunning cures this) no visable frosting and no wet spots.

I am able to get a deep wich color. It does require a bit more dye but it does hold more color without any frosting. ( minor heatgunning)

Still toying with temps i'd like to see just how low this can go ;-) and how hot.

Limited on time but will update when i have more results.

Also about the sepage of lilac oil from another post the next day it was gone. I have had the wax hold up to the advertised 12% listed on the tech sheets.

I plan on using 6% but i enjoy seeing just what the wax can do.

I plan on using some liquid dye to overload the candles and see how it affect frosting ( i dont normally use liquid) I see alot of people having issues with liquids so if i get to it tonight ill toss alot of brown dye and alot of red dye in some.

Edited by oakbrookcandles

So let me get this straight - you are getting a HT you say is "a bit better" than C3 using 1.5 oz/pp? Hmmmm... for me using C3, that would mean a 50% increase in FO costs unless the HT is equivalent at 1 oz/pp... :confused:

I see alot of people having issues with liquids so if i get to it tonight ill toss alot of brown dye and alot of red dye in some.
Good idea since those are typical "problem" colors...

Thanks so much for the your time in testing and sharing with all of us! :)

Edited by Stella1952

Stella, I have tried the 6% and the results are slightly better if not the same as c3. I went up to 12% just to see what would happen. There is really not any noticable difference in most. The mulberry spice was one that smelled alot better colod but HT meh about the same.

I have not tested many fragrances yet so the results are sporadic.

Im gonna try to get to colors later today if time permits.

One thing that i do like is im taking masons right out of the case not washing not heating and cooling in open air with pretty good results. It is 70 degrees inside so its not overly warm either.

I would like to pour hotter and way low yet just to see what happens.

HI again,

I tested the throw on only 2 scents and they have a good throw.

I would definately say that C3 is better but these have not cured that long either...so give them time and they may do better.

I tested Caribbean from Nature's Garden and Red Apple Peel from EAC.

I am still NOT convinced with the wax at all.

with all of the blooming or blossoming or whatever it is called that I got on the 1st batch at a LOW temp of 125 and jars NOT heated..I am not impressed at all.

I attached a pic of C3 that I just poured a few days ago.

I did NOT heat jars, I poured at low temp of 125, I used the French Color & Fragrance Co. Liquid dye from EAC and I have ABSOLUTELY NO FROSTING AT ALL, BEAUTIFUL COLORS, SHINY COLORS, FLAT EVEN TOPS, and I did not add coconut oil or any other additives except UV inhibitor.

I have achieved the look that I want and found the new wax is crap for me. I just bought another 50# of C3 and loving it.:yay:

post-11211-139458463291_thumb.jpg

post-11211-139458463296_thumb.jpg

post-11211-1394584633_thumb.jpg

As I said above, the key for me was just pouring C-3 wax at a lower temp...aobut 125 degrees (when it starts to get a little cloudy and like a thick syrup). It is amazing how the lower temp makes such a difference.

Like I said above, the colors are bright, shiny and NO frosting.

I was having problems with frosting and then tried pouring at a low temp and BAM! Instant success. I am going to make a dark brown candle with the C3 wax at a low temp and see what happens.

I use HTP 83 wicks in my 4oz hex and HTP 104 in 10oz hex and UC wicks in my 8oz jelly jar.