8 oz. tins from CS

Ok, I am considering making a candle or two, though by the time I finish testing, I may end with 50 or so!

would like to try the 8 ounce candle tins sold by Candle Science. I will be using the C-3 and the IGI 4630 (not mixed together).

I have several wicks and need your advice on a starting point. I've tried the zinc wicks in the past, but I really do not like that unsightly huge mushroom.

These are some of the wicks I have: z60-44-18, z51-32-18, z44-28-18, CD18, CDN 14, HTP83, CD10, ECO10, LX20, RRD47, LX26, CSN16. (Wow, I'm starting to get that "Scared to death to screw up that beginner candle headache"!)

The FO I'd like to test are: Love Spell (CS), Christmas Memories (Cajun), Aspen Forest (Bert's).

Could someone offer advice as to which wick I should start testing with the C3? What about the 4630? One more question: will these candle tins get really hot? Never used tins before... :embarasse Thank you!!

the cd10 should be a good starting point for you to try. They are great tins because they have little "feet" on them and a "bullseye" where your wick should go so they are great even for a beginner as I still am. I mixed 464 and 4630 and found the cd8 and cd 10 worked great for me depending on the fo I was using. The tins tend to become hotter than glass but I never found that they would be very hot unless I burned for over 4-5 hours doing a power burn etc. Hope this helped in some way.:cheesy2:

So you think I should start with a larger CD wick?

IMO, for the C3, I think the 14 would be closer. You may even have to go up from that, though

Have you looked at the CS wick guide?

http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

They recommend an Eco 12 with that size container and C3. I tried ECO's and I really prefer the burn I get with CD's

Here is a chart where you can compare different wick types

http://www.wicknclip.com/recommendations.html

HTH

Thank you, Dave! Of the 3 FO I'm planning to test, I think the Christmas Memories would be the thicker one, correct? I say this because it has hints of clove and if I'm not mistaken, clove is a FO like the vanillas.... heavy?

oh my, so much too learn. And to think that just last year I thought it'd be soooo easy to make a candle! Went to Hobby Lobby, bought some soy flakes, a container, the wick they had available (no idea what size it was), added some fragrance bought there at the store, melted the wax, added the FO, and........... tata!! Absolutely nothing!

Hopefully one day, years from now, I will come close to making a decent candle. Until then I'd better learn to be more patient, improve my notes whenever I make a candle and keep working hard to pay for my new expensive hobby! :laugh2:

I'm going to second Dave's suggetions for the 51z...I have found this a good choice for a container right around 3" wide with that wax, keep an eye on the second half of the burn as the tin will heat up and you may even want to test one wick size down and see how that works :smiley2:.

Oh, I'm such a chicken! Just received my order of 8oz. candle tins from CS and I'm getting cold feet! Pessimist that I tend to be, I'm already having visions of big disasters and disappointment.

But I understand I must take that first step... :( I will follow the advice you all offered. Will pour 2 or 3 (I bought 12 tins) tonight. Will try to take pics (need to read how to upload them) and report back to you in a few days. Wish me luck. Oh, and if any of my friends tell me that candles are easy to make, I will positively scream! I love this new hobby of mine, but there are 2 things it is NOT: (1) easy; (2) cheap.

Ok, chicken me is going to decide on which scent to use...:tiptoe:

I'm inspired to experiment along with you. I just picked up a slab of 4630, HTP wicks, and some 8oz tins from CS (they're local to me). They recommend HTP-73 or LX-18 in their wick guide for a 3" to 3.5" container.

I'm pouring three, one each of HTP-62,73 and LX-20. Using 36g (~8%) of their Bayberry scent in 15oz wax with 4 drops of their blue dye and 1 drop yellow.

Results in a few days...

---

I have most sizes of LX and CSN so am not too eager to get into other series of wicks. I sampled some ECOs to use with GB464 and found the CSNs worked just as well. Maybe slightly more mushroomy, but not much, and the ECOs had a nasty habit of breaking off when you tried to knock the mushrooms off them. I'd never before seen a wick break if you messed with it while it was still hot. Those were my first soy containers. My impressions are that the flames are much smaller than paraffin, and lord help you if you want dark colors. No soot, though. OTOH, not much light, either.

The HTP look a lot like the ECO wicks. Not sure what the difference is. Both are flat braids with paper fibers for rigidity. The ECO fibers seem to make it curl at a sharper angle than the CSN or LX. In one case, so much so that the wick looped down so the tip touched the melt pool. I assume the stronger curl is to help with the self trimming. It might have. As for rigidity, it is not a problem with the CSN or LX so not sure why the paper fibers would be needed. Given that, a wire core seems really excessive. Maybe I'm just lucky that my wicks haven't been floppy, I don't know. Either that or Zinc came out when the only alternatives were the floppier-than-LX plain flat braid (ply) or square braid wicks.

Radellaf, it'll be fun and interesting to compare results. I've used the CD 10 and CDN 14, and the zinc wicks. Tomorrow I will start testing the tins made with the CBL 129 (so far it's the one with the best CT), then I will try the tins made with the C3 (second best for CT), and so on.

Do keep us posted, please!

Stella, my husband said he could smell. Not very strong, but he claims he really could smell it. Well, I know I may be full of it, but I want to be able to smell it, and I can't. It may be candle nose... how do I fix it?

The flame isn't too big, there is just a very, very thin layer of wax around the tin, surprisingly I can hold the tin in my hands and it does not feel too hot at all. However, when I move the candle, I notice soot flying up, not much but you can clearly see it. It's been burning for over 5 hours now. I'm thinking of trying the 415 now, the one with the bumpy surface :rolleyes2 Ok, here I go!