Is there supposed to be wax left over?

Sorry for all the candle questions. Just trying to figure it all out! :)

Talking about pure beeswax here.

Even if you have the perfect wick, will there still be wax left over after the burn is no longer able to burn? (wick is all the way burnt)?

I am burning 4 different candles now. I am burning two pillars.... the 3 inch by 2 inch pillars. One with #3 wick and one with #4 wick. I just do not see how it will use all of the wax in the pillar.

I always assumed that a perfect burn was to use up all the wax in the candle.

What kind of tabs are you using on your wicks?

Most tabs have a 'collar' of sorts on it, when the wick hits the collar it snuffs itself out, there's usually at least a small amount of wax left at that point. If the wick burned all the way down to the bottom of the candle, you would have a flame sitting directly on your votive burner/pillar plate/tin/etc... and the chances of badness happening are much increased.

All my beeswax candles melt totally. I hug the sides in on my pillars and never have a shell left, burns perfect all the way to the bottom. I hope you're wicking the molds and not using tabbed wicks, especially with beeswax......just makes a nicer candle. :cool2:

Your big pillar needs to be wicked up and the wick centered better. The small round one you'll have to test one wick up and one wick down. Sometimes with beeswax if you have it spill over or blow out, wicking up burns the wax faster to prevent a blow out. OR, sometimes wicking one size down will work also..........you'll just have to test. Square molds of any kind are a waste of wax IMHO as you will never get it to burn properly and you'll always have sides left standing, especially the corners. Stick with round molds.

Edited by ChrisR

Hugging a pillar candle is when the candle has been burning for a while, the sides (shell) are soft, so you 'hug' the shell in toward the center, so the heat from the wick with burn the shell down. Don't hug too hard or the wax will crack and you'll end up with a blow out. Just gently hug from the top of the shell. You end up with a pillar that burns all the way to the bottom, no leftover shell!! :cool2:

what is your seceret chris? i am wicking the molds. no tabs.

Secret to what.......a good burning pillar? TESTING!!! Trial and error and more testing and 11 years of experience. Search for twisting the wick, that will help some with the wick centering. If you can't find it let me know and I'll try to explain.