When approaching shop owners?

Desertrose

We're taking a little trip down south after Christmas to an area well known for all it's cute little country gift stores where we feel our candles might do well.

Just wondering how to go about this?

We'll take a selection of products with us to show them, some free scent samples perhaps, tarts, mini melts?

Richard has spent a lot of time designing a brochure, which is great but then he said it will be just to show them then and there and if they want one he'll mail it to them - reason being it's going to cost a fair bit to print them out and they may want to simply look at the website instead?

I was wondering if a photo album portfolio of the candles would be a better option to show them at the time - better quality photo's etc and then all the actual information - the whole kit and kaboodle, including scent descriptions etc, is readily accessed on the website?

Also, do you think it's better to phone ahead of time to each store instead of just dropping in?

Seems more polite that way, but then again you might be knocked back over the phone whereas face to face they might at least consider looking at what you've got, which might prove to be of interest ultimately to them?

Up till now as the shops we supply are local we've just dropped in casually and started chatting and it's all kind of just "happened" for us.

How do you guys approach this approaching shops thing?

as a shop owner myself...i did not like anyone stopping by unannounced as we may have customers or be arranging or something or do I make appts with potential vendors I dont know or did not request info. I would just drop off the information and a sample and tell them to call you if you have any questions or mail them one. However, do not mail one to every gift store in town becuase we will find out! Which is why the trapp candle sample went in the trash, UPS man informed me that he had a dozen of them on his truck.

Thanks for your input. Good to hear from a shop owner themselves.

Ok, we may have to think this through......Definately not a good idea to approach too many shops that are in the same locality.

We need them spread far enough apart in order for it not to be a conflict of interest.

We know of one shop in particular which has already expressed interest in our stuff so we'll ring ahead and see if we can organise an appointment.

Perhaps with others in different areas this can be a "scoping out likely prospects" thing and just go and browse in their shops then note down which ones we can phone at a later date.

Edited by Desertrose

I wouldn't be discouraged about approaching a shop with your candles. I live in a small town and did just that. Kept trying out shops in my area until I had a few that wanted my candles. I wouldn't worry about other shops until you find one that wants yours. Then work something out with the store owner so they are not in competition with nearby shops.

I would definitely take samples of your line along with a colorful brochure to leave with them. I've had orders on the spot and was able to fill them because I brought some product with me.

Just make sure your approach is simple and non aggressive. Give the shop owner a chance to decide if they have the time to see you and if not just smile and leave your brochure with all your information and how to get in touch with you.

What I like about the direct approach is it gives the shop owner a chance to meet you face to face and see how enthusiastic you are about your product. If you have quality candles that fit their type of store and customer base they may give you a try. Calling ahead of time can have the opposite effect as its easier to be dismissive of someone that isn't in front of you. But-- if you leave your brochure you can always follow up with that phone call.

Taking a portfolio along is an excellent idea. It will be much more memorable than the dozens of brochures they get every week. Don't even show them the brochure if you can't leave one with them. Having only one brochure might appear kind of unprofessional, and raise questions as to your ability to actually supply candles.

In addition to presenting your portfolio, you should provide them with a price list that they can keep, and don't forget to list your website on it.

In my opinion, it's best to make an appointment if you can. Not only will the store owner appreciate it, but it might prevent a wasted trip. In many small towns it's common for some independent shops to be closed on Sundays, Mondays, or Wednesdays, and some even close for the winter.

Good luck to you. I hope you'll let us know how your trip turns out.

I think it depends on how busy the shop is at the moment you visit as to whether or not the owner would have time for you. I know of a gal who just goes into the shop with brochures, pricelist and samples and drops them off to the owner. She then calls back at a later date if the person is really busy and can't talk at the moment. She also makes it a point to never leave the stuff with a store clerk because she said that never resulted in any orders.

Definately leave a brochure with them. Tell them that youve scoped out gift shops in the area and that since you know that its fair to the retailer to have your products 'exclusive' to only one shop in the area, youve choosen them because of their quality merchandise etc etc {play it up} and would like to offer them first refusal.

Leave your details and a few samples etc and tell them if they are interested, to get in touch before a certain date {if they havn't, theres no harm in ringing them for feedback}. You may just leave with them thinking that you've done THEM a favour! Only downside is, you'll have to make another trip down to another store if the first one is a no-go.

Youve got lovely products which should sell themselves!

If you have never been to any of these shops I would recommend that you stop in the shops and just take a look around. Scout out each shop and take notes in your head about everything that you liked and disliked about each shop. Don't mention anything about selling products, say that you are just looking around, and then leave. Write everything down about the shop that you saw while you where in the shop. Be sure to take notice of how many people where in the shop and if any of them where buying something from the shop.

Grab a couple of business cards while you are there so you have the phone number and address of the shop and the owner's name.

Was the shop clean and well stocked?

Was the shop already carying products like you want to sell?

Was the shop on a buisy street or in a location with other stores, or was the shop out in the middle of nowhere by itself and without much foot traffic?

Once you have done your scouing, I would then contact the most desired shops by postcard and let them know that you visited the shop on a recient trip and that you would like to send the owner a cd with a line sheet and a price sheet for them to look at to see if they would be interested in carrying your products in their shop.

Include your phone number, email address and website address on the postcard.

Then follow up in about 4 or 5 days by telephone to see if the shop owner is interested in carrying your products.

Be sure to keep track on which shops you mailed a postcard to and when it was mailed. Also keep track of their response or lack or response so that you can follow up with the shop owner.

This will save you carrying a lot of products with you. You may have to make several trips, but it will probably be much better in the long run. You may find by doing this that thngs will work out better for you in the long run using this method.

You may find that some shop owners won't consider doing business with you if you just drop in unexpected.

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and ideas. All good food for thought!

I think we'll be doing this trip very much playing it by ear.

We'll be prepared and take down samples, an album of photographs, business cards etc and just scope the places out and if we feel any of the shop owners ARE approachable we'll do so if they are not looking busy at the time. If not we'll take business cards ourselves and get back to them.

At the same time we'll also just appreciate getting away for a bit :) I'm looking forward to a break!

Edited by Desertrose

Well we are currently down the south coast and happy little doobies tonight. Yesterday we approached the first of our target stores.

Just a small store in a little town that does get wuite a bit of tourist trade. I had seen this woman about 2 months ago and asked her then if I could bring some samples in. In I went and she was quite impressed. I have sent her a brochure through tonight as well as a proce list and will follow her up towards the end of the week. She will place an order, although probably only a small one as she doesnt seem to do a lot of candles, but she does have a nice shop.

The second place we approached today, and were pretty warmly welcomed as they had already heard of and had reviews of our product, despite the fact that they are about 200 miles away from us. They actually used to own one of the shops we are already supplying.

After some discussion and sniffing and looking at our samples, an order was placed today. Now here I was expecting an order for a couple of hundred dollars maybe as a starter. Well $1500 dollars later we have our first order. We are up against the major US and Australian brands in this shop so we are over the moon at the order size. They reckon that in March when things pick up we could be looking at orders that size once a week.

Time to get busy now I guess, and here I was not wanting to touch soy through summer and to have a rest through Jan and Feb.....LOL.

We are gong to enjoy the next couple of days with the kids now before heading home and getting stuck into filling the orders.

Thanks to all for your advice and help, not just on the approaching shops issue, but on many other things also :)

I'm so glad all your investigation and hard work has paid off. Taking the process one step at a time is tedious but is well worth it in the long run. Deciding on soy, working to make the graphics align, countless hours and money invested.

It is sometimes tough to crack into a market but can be done...

as you have proven. This is such wonderful news! Now you'll have to decide if your "staff" will be on salary or be paid by the piece. :cheesy2:

Thats great news Richard! Congrats! Don't know how sales are in Australia but here they drop off after the holidays and pick up again in early spring. So be thinking about your spring line and maybe some samples to show your shop accounts. I bet Plumeria or the Aussie version would be a big seller for you.:yay:

Giving up the day job would be nice, but still aways to go before that happens I think.

Yes Judy, our "staff" are already requesting a trip to the nearest theme park, which is about 1000 kms away from us. They sure are quick to catch on I can tell you :)

Candybee, there does not seem to be the distinction between the seasons here as there is in the states. My best sellers through December were still scents like sugar cookie, home sweet home, spiced cranberry. The more fruity scents were much slower moving.

Plumeria (frangipani here) is one of our best sellers year round. We dont do many florals, just frangipani, rose, lilac, honeysuckle and lavender vanilla, enough to keep most people happy. Florals are not some of my favourite scents to pour. I'll take my sugar cookie anyday :)

Congratulations, you guys, that's wonderful!:yay:More than the size of the order(which is terrific), I would be thrilled that they had heard of me 200 miles away! Word of mouth can end up being your biggest seller and business grower. Again, congratulations and have a great mini vacation!:cheesy2: