Scent throw in Palm wax

I just got my first delivery of palm wax today and cant wait to try it out. I've been reading all about how to go about wreaking the tops and punching holes. It sounds like fun :cheesy2:

I wont be able to play around with it till this evening so my question until then is...is the scent throw usually better with palm by itself or if it is mixed with soy? (or does it not matter?) I got csn wicks from cs but also have an array of cdns and paper cores. This will be for a wide mouth 16oz mason jar.

I can't help you with wicking that jar because I don't use it or the types of wicks you have but I can tell you that I get awesome CT/HT with just straight palm so I haven't felt the need to mess with stocking another wax to try mixing in. It rocks all by itself!!

mparadise,

Thats great to hear. I can not wait to pour my candles tonight. Now if it would just hurry up already and be 5pm already. I swear, the hours at my job drag on slower than molasses lol. I know you use different jars than me but what kind of wicks do you prefer for this wax?

Thanks!

You didn't pick the easiest jar to wick with palm thats for sure. I think the wide mouth masons are at least 3" or more?

I'm using the CSN wicks with my palm. But then I have a 3" salsa jar and they work just fine in it. I had to test for the right size wick but out of all the wicks I tried so far I like them. I will have to give the CDNs a try sometime too.

I'm not sure why you would think you need to add soy to palm to make a better scent throw. It would make more sense to me the other way around. I found to get a better scent throw with soy I would have to use additives. But with the palm you don't need to add any soy wax unless you are looking to get rid of the crystal effect.

Have fun!

is the scent throw usually better with palm by itself or if it is mixed with soy?

TRY it for a while first before even considering blending or adding any additives (except UV stabilizer, which is simply a standard addition for any candle I make)! I think you would have been better served to have chosen a smaller size container with which to begin. It makes testing a new wax go much quicker if one isn't having to burn a 1 pounder all the way to the end. *faint* Once you have worked with the wax for a bit, your wicking choices will become more refined, you will understand more about how palm wax burns (VERY differently from other waxes!!) and testing the larger containers will be easier because you will be able to guess which wick will probably work more accurately than you will at first. Having said that, try a CDN 12 or 14 for the 16 oz. widemouth jar. I'd try the 12 first...

For GG container palm wax, I really like hex jars. I'm not wild about the screw top, but the different faces of the container make the palm wax even showier. I also like the larger Metro Jars (12 oz), but pour the 8 oz as well. I use CDN wicks for all my palm wax candles - both pillar formulas and container formulas. They work very well for me. For votives, I use CDs because of the difficulty in finding a supplier for the smaller sizes of CDN wicks.

The scent throw of palm wax is very good, but as the wax hardens, its cold throw diminishes. All ya have to do is light it for the fragrance to release again, however. This is more noticeable in pillars since containers usually have lids which hold in the fragrance. Palm is not my favorite wax for the "run ya outta the house" scent throw some people like - soy does that better, both cold and hot. It is quite acceptable, however, so I see no need to mix it with soy to try and boost its scent throw.

We actually mix some non crystalising container palm with our soy to increase the secnt throw. It definitely has the effect of increasing both hot and cold throw and one of our 10 oz apothecary jars can pretty much scent 2 levels of the house we are in. Works very well for us, but as Stella suggested, try it on its own before adding any additives or you wont have a baseline the begin with.