Are these square masons what is causing the issue?

I have been testing several new waxes in the square masons and once I get to the second half of the candle I get soot all over. I have been using CD wicks and some different parasoy blends and have tried many different wicks sizes. I have never had such a problem with soot before. I don't know if I should scratch the parasoy effort. I can't go back to 100% soy. Maybe I should try a new wick or a new jar??? Any suggestions?

Waxes are J223 with GB 415, 6006, CBL-130, Ky parasoy, Crafters Choice SP wax

I've been testing a 70/30 soy/paraffin blend in the 8 oz. sq. masons with a CD10 and not seen any soot unless it was a marathon burn at about 8 hours. And then it wasn't anything like how my Yankees sooted! It may have a slight hangup at first (not always), but it always catches up. I do 3 - 4 hour test burns. CD 12 work also but the jar gets hotter towards the end.

Thanks for the replies. See I am using CD 10 and 12 in my harder to wick fragrances with the CBL-130 which I have been testing this week and I am getting soot but barely a full melt pool after several burns, so I am guessing I can't wick down. I am about ready to rip my hair out over these candles. I have never had so much trouble with testing in my six years of candle making. I am in a new house, but that's the only difference. Last week I was working on the 6006 and I had soot trouble with those as well, but they seemed to be wicked appropriately otherwise. I was at the smallest possible wick, as far as I can see. Well, I am taking a month off from selling in January to work out the kinks on the new wax, since I have basically run out of my old wax. Maybe Ill try wicking down and leave the hang up and see what happens. Thanks.

Edited by jennyjo

Thanks. I am doing a lot of reading here to see what I can come up with.

BTW- The 6006 and the CBL-130 both are at least 50 % paraffin. The 6006, I think is more like 70% paraffin, maybe more. Does that change your answer?

Edited by jennyjo

I wouldn't wick down, I would try a different brand of wick instead. I have 30% paraffin in my wax which is why I can get by with a CD10. I've never used the ECO's or HTP's but if I were in your shoes that's what I'd try next. jmo. HTH

Ooops...! I should have read your OP better first... MY bad! Boy, I sure don't know why those wick wouldn't work. Maybe another wick series would work better. There are much more experienced chandlers here so I'm bowing out but will watch this thread, cuz I'm curious too. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

I think it could be your parasoy or your wicks could be to big. I have no problem with these jars and CD but I use all soy.

Thanks, I used to use all soy, but I lost my patience with the frost! I am going to try wicking down anyway and go from there. Happy Holidays.

Ooops...! I should have read your OP better first... MY bad! Boy, I sure don't know why those wick wouldn't work. Maybe another wick series would work better. There are much more experienced chandlers here so I'm bowing out but will watch this thread, cuz I'm curious too. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Hey thanks for your thoughts. I will keep trying, but I am taking a break until after the holiday. Hope you have a good one!

I have found that the parasoys I've tried (WSP's SP wax and IGI Victory Blend) soot too much for my liking and have crummy scent throw. I am now blending with GB 464 at a ratio of 25% to 75% and I get little to no frosting or sooting and better scent throw after a few days of curing. I use CD's and HTP wicks. I'm starting to lean toward the HTP's with this blend. I recently got KY's parasoy but haven't tried it yet.

Naomi

I have found that the parasoys I've tried (WSP's SP wax and IGI Victory Blend) soot too much for my liking and have crummy scent throw. I am now blending with GB 464 at a ratio of 25% to 75% and I get little to no frosting or sooting and better scent throw after a few days of curing. I use CD's and HTP wicks. I'm starting to lean toward the HTP's with this blend. I recently got KY's parasoy but haven't tried it yet.

Naomi

Is that 25% Soy or 75% soy?

Edited by IwantItgreen

• 3 weeks later...

I have been testing with 6006 wax as well with the CD wicks and as I read the replies to your post one question popped into my head...what is your fragrance load. I am learning that more isn't always better when it comes to fragrance oil. IGI 6006 seems to hold a heavy load quite well but it does seem to have an effect on the burn and wicking. Now I am still very much a beginner candle maker and have been on the verge of throwing in the towel several times lately so keep that in mind as I share my experiences. I am using a 4 in diameter apothecary and want to double wick it. My problem is my jar gets too hot. I wick down and then the wick drowns. As I adjust my fragrance oil load I am seeing better results. But I am still very much in the testing stage and have no firm conclusions yet. But I do feel you pain!