Hemp Wicks

Thanks for the info. Anybody have good luck with them? This is what I am thinking about doing: Massage candles with hemp oil and soy wax(like I need another project:laugh2::laugh2:)Hemp oil has alot of nutritional value. Made one last night with a woodwick (for grins) wanted to see how it would cool so far, so good. I read about a company that makes these with hemp wicks. I was also told on another forum hemp wicks work well until you get bigger than about 2 7/8 in diameter jar.:confused:

Don't like mushrooms, except in my salad.

Linda

I also used hemp wicks for several years when I first started. They are about the coolest burning wick there is and your selection is very, very limited (think there are only about 6 wick sizes). I used soy wax at that time and had to double wick anything over 2-1/2" wide and if you had a very heavy FO, forget about using any hemp wick cause you just couldn't get the candle to burn. Because the hemp makes a rigid wick, the mushrooms are HUGE and there's no getting around it. I was trying to go the more natural route with my wicking at that time, but there's nothing wrong with good old cotton wicking, which most wicks are now.

If I sound like I'm trying to discourage you from using hemp wicks with soy, well, I am.....I know you'd end up very frustrated!! :cool2:

Thanks for the reply doesn't sound to promising now does it. I guess I will try another wick, like the ones I've been using CD's.

Now what am I going to do with the sample pack I ordered:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:Shucks, can't blame a girl for trying:yay:I guess I'll send them to wick heaven or where ever wicks go when they don't work.

Linda

You're welcome and yes keep me posted. I really loved the hemp, except for the freaking mushrooms.....they got HUGE!! I used them for about 5 years before I switched. I got tired of trying to educate my customers to cut the mushrooms off, don't leave them to smoke up your jars!! :rolleyes2

The hemp work any better in paraffin, or palm?

I remember reading a post about someone making candles for a historical recreation and he ended up using hemp _twine_ as a wick. The candles were supposed to be bright, and trimming was OK. Also, ivory colored paraffin was an acceptable substitute to actual rendered beef tallow, lest everyone leave the area holding their noses...

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 years later...