Wicks?

Is there any way to figure out what kind of a wick is in a candle by looking at it? I seen a candle today (a 4oz container) with a wick that was so much smaller (Im talking tiny) in diameter and Im trying to figure out what it was. Ive used zinc, htp, lx, cotton but it was a lot smaller. I have never used paper, cd's or eco's and im wondering if its one of those.I would say the wick is about 1/16" diameter and it does have a small wire in it. Any idea?

Also, ever have the sticker come off your bag of wicks and you have no idea what they were? Grr I wish there was a way to tell!!

Edited by quietgirl2004

Many wicks can be identified if you happen to be familiar with the type. In this case it may just be a small size of a wick you already know.

If it has a metal wire in it, that would be a zinc. If it has a core that's not metal, odds are that it's paper or cotton core. Cottons are thinner on the average than paper.

CDs, HTPs and ECOs are flat coreless wicks that have brown paper filaments running through the braid.

Sometimes you have to remove the wax coating to clearly see the type and size of wick.

Is there any way to figure out what kind of a wick is in a candle by looking at it? I seen a candle today (a 4oz container) with a wick that was so much smaller (Im talking tiny) in diameter ...

Did you buy one and burn it? How do you know it's not under wicked?

Also, ever have the sticker come off your bag of wicks and you have no idea what they were? Grr I wish there was a way to tell!!

Too late for your bag that's missing it's sticker, but I write with a black marker on the outsides of ziploc bags what wicks I put in them.

I never had this happen with a whole bag but I've done it with single wicks for whatever reason...When I do it, I put it with my stash of wicks I use for firestarters. If its a whole bag, you could try to find scent/wax/wick combo that works and use them for personal use. At least they won't be wasted that way.