Cream Soap Stages

Teercreations

At one time or another I have promised to show others the stages of Cream soap making. Here are my stages as they cook. If your wondering what cream soap is think of Noxzema but softer and creamier.

Here is the stage after you add your lye/water to your oils and stir/stickblend.

5267f68553.jpg

Second stage: This is where you can see the soap starting to soaponify.

4f466f264d.jpg

Third stage: This is the hard rocks of soap where all the oils have soaponified.

3f90bd5c97.jpg

Fourth stage: This is fully cooked and starting to go from rock stage to clear/translucent gel stage. Its much easier to stir here.

d5c7d89610.jpg

Ok this isnt a stage its just where I figured out after transferring the soap to a bigger container that I cant fit my hand held mixer down there far enough to mix the soap! I felt real stupid after this brain fart! But it still shows how white and creamy the cream soap becomes the more its mixed.

2d2a74b5f2.jpg

Final stage: White creamy fluffy cream soap.

39b9eb4e3b.jpg

So what do yall think?

Pam

OMG that looks sooooooooooooooooo comforting/creamy and yes decadent like someone else mentioned, and definitely brings back memories of when I used to use Noxema as a teen. ;)

I never even thought of being able to make cream soap, had forgotten all about noxema even, so thank you for posting and sharing.

So, do you just scent it normally like you would your soaps/lotions, whatever? Or do you make it for a specific application (ie. face cleanser etc.)?

Again, thank you for sharing your process pics. it will really come in handy for those who will try this.

Ok I am going to try to answer all the questions in this post if I can remeber them all.

First off I researched every post and place I could find. Cream soaping is really not talked about much to tell ya the truth. I found the snowdrift recipes and two recipes on the Soap dish and other than Catherine Failors book. Those are the only places I have found recipes per se for cream soap making, its pretty much design as you like.

You do need a calculator for the process. Please dont ask me how to calculate KOH and NaOH for cream soaping...cuz I really dont know where to begin. I have soul gazer sundries cream soaping calculator for that process. Here is the link to that one www.soulgazersundries.com Also make sure you get some Phenolphthalein to test your soap to make sure its neutral. Its not like cp where its neutral after two or three weeks. I got Pheno stuff at www.Lotioncrafter.com and its the only place I found that sold the stuff in small enough quantities that I wanted. You only need a drop of Pheno to test and thats it.....so an 1 oz lasts forever! (or it has me)

mhardy asked for recipes....and actually this batch is Failors Castor Cream Soap recipe. I did cook it in a crock pot on high for about 2 1/2 hours. Then When I got to the 4th picture ya need to turn it on low so it doesnt scorch and burn. Cook it for a little while longer....it all depends on how fast your getting to the stages, how high your crock pot/or oven gets etc. I dont want to say cook for another 1/2 hour when you really need to cook another 1 hour. Lets say this if you soap doesnt get to the vasaline stage and get translucent then you need to cook. If you dont cook more it wont kill your batch it will just make it an absolute bear to stir and mix (ask me how I know).

Crafty1 asked if you use KOH and NaOH and the answer is both. You will need much more KOH than NaOH though. For example my last batch was 2.2 oz KOH and .39 oz NaOH.

Michi asked how you scent it.....I like the natural scent actually. So far most of my cream soap that I have tested with others is natural. But I plan on scenting with essential oils and the like. (If I can ever find a EO combination that I like and wanna wash my face with.) I havent put any FO's in it but there is nothing that says you can't just make sure they are body safe.

You can make all sorts of things with this. Think of it like a luxury base. You can add clays and make a shaving cream, scrub stuff for of course scrubs body and face, or just a facial cleanser.

This batch I was able to get 16 2 oz jars. With just the ingredients not packaging or anything my cost per product is .29 each. But it all depends on how luxury you go on your oils and butters and of course how much that cost you.

Umm I cant really think of anything else. Other than you need to read Failors book it really explains it all.....brambleberry has it I know. You can also join the creamsoaps group on yahoo to learn more --- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CreamSoap/

Have I confused anyone?

Pam

I always have asocciated cream soap to like the FBB. I've done the Failor one and I didn't have a double boiler, so I had a stock pot inside another stock pot. It does take a while but it is nice to work with. I've made a scrub base with it and added sugar. Works great! I just bought the cream soap calculator a few weeks ago but haven't had the chance to play with it yet. I need to go to the thrift store and buy a few more crock pots!!!

Love the pics!!

• 3 months later...

Ok Girl. I'm confused. Every site I go to has totally different directions. Like snowdriftfarms site makes it sound like it's ready to be jarred in 10 minutes, others it takes hours or even days.

I did find a cream soap calc at snowdrift, they recommended 75-90% Naoh to 10-25% Koh.