Candles are surprisingly easy to make......

bthouse

According to the Today Show!!!!!

"You dont have to be crafty. All you do is stick a wick in the middle of the bowl and heat up some soy wax."

Well, what have we all been doing all these years when it was just that easy. :angry2: Did we just waste all that money on testing and the liability insurance.

If this link is allowed:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33508940/vp/34463886#34463886

Several shows do that every year Martha Stewart is one of the worse offenders of this I just shake my head and go on.

And she did basically say the same damn thing last week I think it was!! And I even choked when it came out of her mouth, but then again I'm trying to remember where I saw votives and they weren't in containers ... and I was thinking oh someone will have a mess. Perhaps that was dear, sweet Martha.

We've had quite a few people chat to us at the markets saying they've thought about making candles themselves.

We tell them how much we've invested (so far) and how much testing needs to be done and you see their eyes go wide and their jaws drop.

I did get a chuckle out of the beginning bit though with the hand made doll. lol!

Tracy

Thank you NBC!!!!

Now I know all I need to know about making soy candles in thrift shop containers.

If you can over the coming weeks through the holidays quickly take me through the joys of palm wax, parrifin wax, perhaps some pillar candles, maybe making my own silicone molds, and then if you can give me a quick overview of CP soap I will have the makings of a great business and can then tell my current boss what to do with his job as I am going to become prosperous in my own little craft store.

I will just make sure that my insurance cover is well up to date prior to starting, as I think that may be a prudent thing to do, don't you?

What are they thinking................................................?

PS - You didnt mention the use of any fragrance. Perhaps you can outline this procedure for me also, as some people I know like scented candles rather than unscented.

Thank you once again for you great advice......

Edited by RichardLOZ

You put flavor oils into the candles. Perhaps you could use a whole bunch of dried spices to if you want a spicer scent ... or take some of the perfume you or your wife or girlfriend isn't using any more and dump it in. Be sure to light it and take a big whiff. :laugh2:

Oh wow! Do that with soy wax and get a candle and lip gloss ALL IN ONE JAR!:yay::laugh2:

Yes, it is that easy! You wouldn't believe how many are doing it and selling them at craft fairs every day ... I've seen them. The most inventive one bought the 3 and 5 wick loafs. Cut the wax up and reused the wicks in cute sugar & creamers.

She sold a ton of them @ $7.50.

Once they are in someone else's posession it's no longer her problem. And she strictly uses items that she re-cycles claiming a share of the "green" movement. No safety warnings - No instructions ...

It makes me cringe, too!

Well said, Richard. I cringe when people join a forum with, "Hi everyone. I started making soap/lotion/candles whatever 2 months ago and have started selling on Etsy/ Artfire/craft shows/street corners and I love it!"

Grrr. Maybe I'm just a bitch. *shrug*

~Julia

Thank you NBC!!!!

Now I know all I need to know about making soy candles in thrift shop containers.

If you can over the coming weeks through the holidays quickly take me through the joys of palm wax, parrifin wax, perhaps some pillar candles, maybe making my own silicone molds, and then if you can give me a quick overview of CP soap I will have the makings of a great business and can then tell my current boss what to do with his job as I am going to become prosperous in my own little craft store.

I will just make sure that my insurance cover is well up to date prior to starting, as I think that may be a prudent thing to do, don't you?

What are they thinking................................................?

PS - You didnt mention the use of any fragrance. Perhaps you can outline this procedure for me also, as some people I know like scented candles rather than unscented.

Thank you once again for you great advice......

>>Did any of you notice she said "you can not screw this up"?<<

Yes I did notice that and thought the same thing!

I just wondered whether over there it's going the way it is here in Australia where more and more bad language is becoming the norm in media. Sounds so bad to me.

She could have easily said "mess it up".

Tracy

all I have to say to that is SNARF! Thats how I started out! Cocky kid thinking... hey, all you do is melt it and pour it into a container after all... If only. :rolleyes2 Thanks "Today Show" for reducing years of hard work to "so easy a caveman can do it"

Caveman can do it :laugh2: